Candle Wicks Length Display MetaTrader indicator — is an indicator that can display the length of candle wicks in pips directly on your chart. You can set the minimum length to be displayed. The indicator supports all sorts of alerts and works with both MT4 and MT5.
If your trading system is using candle wicks and if really long wicks are important to determining entry or exit signals for your trades, Candle Wicks Length Display indicator can be indispensable as a tool to notify you about such candles and the exact length of their wicks.
- Units (default = Pips) — how to measure wicks— in standard Pips or in Percentage points.
- DisplayWickLimit (default = 5) — the minimum wick length in pips (standard/normal) or percentage points for indicator to display it on the chart.
- DisplayHighWickColor (default = clrRed) — the color of the top wick length display.
- DisplayLowWickColor (default = clrLimeGreen) — the color for the bottom wick length display.
- UpperWickLimit (default = 10) — the minimum value for the upper wick length in broker pips or percentage points for alert to trigger.
- LowerWickLimit (default = 10) — the minimum value for the lower wick length in broker pips or percentage points for alert to trigger.
- WaitForClose (default = true) — if true, the indicator will wait for a candle to close before checking its wicks' length.
- SoundAlert (default = false) — if true, sound alerts will be used when UpperWickLimit or LowerWickLimit is reached.
- VisualAlert (default = false) — if true, MetaTrader's native pop-up alerts will be used when UpperWickLimit or LowerWickLimit is reached.
- EmailAlert (default = false) — if true, MetaTrader's email alerts will be sent when UpperWickLimit or LowerWickLimit is reached. Email should be properly configured in MetaTrader via Tools->Options->Email.
- NotificationAlert (default = false) — if true, MetaTrader's push notification alerts will be sent to your device when UpperWickLimit or LowerWickLimit is reached. Notifications should be properly configured in MetaTrader via Tools->Options->Notifications.
- IgnoreAlertsOnFirstRun (default = true) — if true, the indicator will ignore alert conditions when indicator is first attached to the chart or the chart's timeframe/symbol is changed. Subsequent alert conditions won't be ignored.
- TopBottomPercent (default = 0) — if this parameter is set to a value greater than 0 and less or equal 100, the indicator will display length only for bars where Open and Close are within the given top or bottom percentage of the candle.
- FontFace (default = "Verdana") — the font face to use for candle wick length display.
- FontSize (default = 10) — the font size to use for candle wick length display.
- MaxBars (default = 500) — the number of bars (counting from the current one) to process. 0 — process all bars.
- UseRawPips (default = false) — if true, the indicator won't try to guess the pip size for the current symbol and will use the raw pips (points) instead. Might be necessary when working with non-Forex symbols.
This example image shows Candle Wicks Display Length for MT4 attached to the H1 chart of the EUR/USD currency pair with default settings except for the DisplayWickLimit input parameter, which is set to 10.
As you can see, long top candle wicks prevail in downtrends whereas the opposite is also true — you will more likely see more green length values marked for the bottom wicks in uptrends.
Downloads (ver. 1.08, 2021-03-23)
Download Candle Wicks Display Length for MetaTrader 4
Download Candle Wicks Display Length for MetaTrader 5
1.08 — 2021-03-23
- First release in the main part of EarnForex.com. Previously, the indicator was only listed in one blog post.
- Added UseRawPips input parameter to use symbol's points without trying to convert them into standard pips.
- Changed some legacy code to comply with current MT4 standards.
1.07 — 2020-01-27
- Added switching between pips and percentage points.
- Added centering for the wick length text labels.
- Changed alert texts to be more informative.
1.06 — 2018-07-31
- Fixed a few bugs concerning value normalization to the number of decimal places in the trading instruments' quotes.
1.05 — 2018-07-18
- Fixed another bug with out-of-place alerts.
- Removed a glitch where length labels could be shown on wrong bars.
1.04 — 2018-07-16
- Fixed a bug with push notifications not being sent.
1.03 — 2018-07-03
- Fixed a minor issue with the IgnoreAlertsOnFirstRun parameter.
1.02 — 2018-07-02
- Added alerts via push notifications.
- Added a smart label positioning algorithm.
- Added more input parameters to control the indicator's behavior.
1.01 — 2011-05-08
- Released the first version that supports length value display.
1.00 — 2011-01-10
- First version of Candle Wicks Length Display indicator released. It didn't display anything — it could only send alerts.
Do you have any suggestions or questions regarding this indicator? You can always discuss Candle Wicks Length Display with the other traders and MQL4/MQL5 coders in our forums.