How do you usually exeute trades calculated by Position Size Calculator?

• Manually

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • PSC-Trader script with a mouse click

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • PSC-Trader with a keyboard shortcut

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • Using third-party trading panel

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other (please provide details)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Version 2.41 of the Position Size Calculator and version 1.14 of the PSC-Trader script have been released. The release includes the following changes:

1. Added an input parameter StartPanelMinimized. (Via a GitHub issue.)
2. Added ATRCandle input parameter. (Via a YouTube comment.)
3. Fixed a compatibility bug with other panels. (Via a GitHub issue.)
4. Fixed a bug in portfolio risk calculation. (@EnrichWave)
5. Fixed a bug that caused very large values in extra TP edit fields. (Via a GitHub issue.)
6. Fixed a minor glitch with extra TP lines.
7. Fixed a bug that caused the PSC-Trader script to open a trade without a stop-loss. (Via a GitHub issue.)
8. Fixed a bug in the PSC-Trader script that caused opening trades with random volume. (@hutchie)
9. Renamed input parameters UseFixedSLDistance and UseFixedTPDistance to SLDistanceInPoints and TPDistanceInPoints. (@EnrichWave)

Everyone is welcome to download, test, and post here their thoughts.

EnrichWave

Master Trader
May 15, 2018
India
DhnmQLz.png

"Ignore orders without SL/TP" selection options with separated two (check box for SL another check box for TP) will be more useful. Because if we set SL only. It won't shows the result

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
DhnmQLz.png

"Ignore orders without SL/TP" selection options with separated two (check box for SL another check box for TP) will be more useful. Because if we set SL only. It won't shows the result
Currently, it works like this. If the order has no SL, it isn't counted towards total risk. If the order has no TP, it isn't counted towards total reward. If you tick the checkbox and open an order with SL but without TP, it will still show its potential risk. I don't quite understand what result you are trying to achieve here.

EnrichWave

Master Trader
May 15, 2018
India
I don't quite understand what result you are trying to achieve here
If we set only SL.. it can show only the "risk USD, %" will be nice one. So the same If we set only the TP, It can show "Reward USD, %"

When a trader don't want set TP, he want only calculate the risk $,% it will be more helpful.

Michael618

Trader
Jul 20, 2017
@Enivid
I searched today for an updated version of the calculator,
And because I have few input variables that I change in the source code, each time, with each update,
Got me thinking...

The idea is this:
To have a inputs.mqh, for example, with constants defined there, for all inputs in PositionSizeCalculator.mq5
The inputs would take their values from the inputs.mqh, hence no need (for me, for us) to change the values for needed inputs each time a new version of the indicator comes out.
Do you see where I'm getting at?

I did a test, and unfortunately it works only by using #define in inputs.mqh,
(the compiler expects a constant for an input variable, which kinda sucks)
So, it works with constants only

For example,
focusing on the stoploss_line_color input:

//inputs.mqh
#define STOPLOSS_LINE_COLOR clrLime

//PositionSizeCalculator.mq5
input color stoploss_line_color = STOPLOSS_LINE_COLOR; // Stop-Loss Line Color

What do you think about this idea? Is it useful? Is it doable? Am I missing something?
Wouldn't be useful for users?

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
@Michael618 The thing is, whenever there are changes to input parameters in a new version, you would still have to update and edit the inputs.mqh file. I believe the current tools to store default values for input parameters (.set files and chart templates) is a better solution than editing these values in the code.

• 👍
Reactions: Michael618

Michael618

Trader
Jul 20, 2017
@Michael618 The thing is, whenever there are changes to input parameters in a new version, you would still have to update and edit the inputs.mqh file. I believe the current tools to store default values for input parameters (.set files and chart templates) is a better solution than editing these values in the code.

I agree.

One thing though:
Today, I continued to learn a little about Zorro software,
and their strategy with the survival of user settings between updates is this:

1. settings.ini will be overwritten, no matter what changes are made to it
2. if there is a settingsFixed.ini file, settings will be used from this file, otherwise settings.ini will be used.

(name of the file is not exactly settings.ini, but doesn't matter, i don't remember exactly the name)
So it's still possible.
But, I agree with you too.

So ...yeah...

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
I agree.

One thing though:
Today, I continued to learn a little about Zorro software,
and their strategy with the survival of user settings between updates is this:

1. settings.ini will be overwritten, no matter what changes are made to it
2. if there is a settingsFixed.ini file, settings will be used from this file, otherwise settings.ini will be used.

(name of the file is not exactly settings.ini, but doesn't matter, i don't remember exactly the name)
So it's still possible.
But, I agree with you too.

So ...yeah...
That's an option. However, I wonder how many traders will get confused as to why their changes to input parameters or to the original settings.ini don't change anything because they forgot they have a custom settingsFixed.ini.

But I will give this issue a thought and will try to find some solution.

• 👍
Reactions: Michael618

Michael618

Trader
Jul 20, 2017
That's an option. However, I wonder how many traders will get confused as to why their changes to input parameters or to the original settings.ini don't change anything because they forgot they have a custom settingsFixed.ini.

But I will give this issue a thought and will try to find some solution.
Given the type of users for the indicator (mostly non programmers)
You are mostly right,
Users prefer the .set files or chart templates
Using .ini files is for programmers, and indeed, it would be confusing for normal users, for traders.
You're right, it's better this way.

I wrote the last response just to say there's a solution with .ini strategy.

heggna

Trader
Sep 4, 2018
Hi, long time since I've been here. Great that this forum and indicator are alive and well.

Bug Report:

TP line goes outside the visible range when you change the chart symbol, and even when you place the line for the first time

• Suppose you have two symbols: USDCAD and USDCNH, where the typical price is in very different price-ranges. The vertical axis of USDCAD runs from about 1.19 to 1.47, whereas that for USDCNH runs from about 6.21 to 7.21.
  • Suppose you place Position Size Calculator on the USDCAD chart, and you make both the SL and TP lines visible.
  • Suppose you press space-bar and change the chart symbol from USDCAD to USDCNH.
  • What will happen is that the TP line will fall out of the visible range of the chart, while the SL line is still visible. When you switch the symbol back to USDCAD, the TP line reappears.
  • In fact, I tried pressing the TP line button in a number of tests and I observe that even on the current chart, without any symbol change, the TP line can fall outside the visible range.
Suggestion:
  • Automatically move the TP line to within the chart's visible price range when the line is first made visible as well as after there is a chart-symbol change.

Last edited:

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Hi, long time since I've been here. Great that this forum and indicator are alive and well.

Bug Report:

TP line goes outside the visible range when you change the chart symbol, and even when you place the line for the first time

• Suppose you have two symbols: USDCAD and USDCNH, where the typical price is in very different price-ranges. The vertical axis of USDCAD runs from about 1.19 to 1.47, whereas that for USDCNH runs from about 6.21 to 7.21.
  • Suppose you place Position Size Calculator on the USDCAD chart, and you make both the SL and TP lines visible.
  • Suppose you press space-bar and change the chart symbol from USDCAD to USDCNH.
  • What will happen is that the TP line will fall out of the visible range of the chart, while the SL line is still visible. When you switch the symbol back to USDCAD, the TP line reappears.
  • In fact, I tried pressing the TP line button in a number of tests and I observe that even on the current chart, without any symbol change, the TP line can fall outside the visible range.
Suggestion:
  • Automatically move the TP line to within the chart's visible price range when the line is first made visible as well as after there is a chart-symbol change.
Could you please provide more info on how to reproduce this? Your .set file could help here. Because the correct behavior is for the take-profit to reset to 0 when you change the chart's symbol and you don't have some symbol-specific settings already for that symbol. And that's how it works right now, with the default settings at least.

EnrichWave

Master Trader
May 15, 2018
India
Bug Report:

The older version was having that issue. New don't have those kind of issue

Could you please provide more info on how to reproduce this? Your .set file could help here. Because the correct behavior is for the take-profit to reset to 0 when you change the chart's symbol and you don't have some symbol-specific settings already for that symbol. And that's how it works right now, with the default settings at least.
Yes. I confirm Its working fine my end.

heggna

Trader
Sep 4, 2018
Firstly, I'm using MT4, just to be clear. Specifically, ICMarkets, SimpleFX, FXPro and XM MT4.

You're right - the TP DOES get set to 0. But only in the dialog box. The TP line still disappears from the chart. Here is an example where I change the symbol from EURUSD to USDCNH. I've attached chart snapshots of before and after the symbol change.

I tried the same thing with MT4 terminals for two different brokers. Same result.

Attachments

• Before Symbol Change - TP line visible.jpg
    Before Symbol Change - TP line visible.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 7
  • After Symbol Change - TP line out of range.jpg
    After Symbol Change - TP line out of range.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 7

heggna

Trader
Sep 4, 2018
Oh I see. I understand now. Every time the chart is initialized, the take-profit line is not shown by default. You have to press the TP button each time to display the line.

OK. No worries. Sorry about the false bug report. I didn't realize the program was designed this way. I thought when you change symbols, assuming you're on the same chart, the TP line, if it's already displayed, would carry over to the next symbol.

• 👍
Reactions: Enivid

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Oh I see. I understand now. Every time the chart is initialized, the take-profit line is not shown by default. You have to press the TP button each time to display the line.

OK. No worries. Sorry about the false bug report. I didn't realize the program was designed this way. I thought when you change symbols, assuming you're on the same chart, the TP line, if it's already displayed, would carry over to the next symbol.
You can attain a persistent TP line by setting some non-zero Default TP value. Then it will keeping moving the TP line even when you change the chart's symbol.

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Hi, @Enivid It's calculated with commission very nice. Kindly also calculate If it has swap too.. Because If we are holding position long time it'll be nice one

Kind Regards
Wow! I don't even know why did I cut it out in the PSC. The swap calculation has been present in the original RiskCalculator since the very beginning.

I will add it in the next version.

• 👍
Reactions: EnrichWave

Adi1236

Nov 8, 2021
Hi, first of all to thank PSC, I think it is a very good and useful tool in Risk Management.
I would like to ask if there is an option, I failed to notice it, that after a certain number of pips is reached, SL comes to a breakeven value.
Thanks in advance and best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.