How do you usually exeute trades calculated by Position Size Calculator?

• Manually

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • PSC-Trader script with a mouse click

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • PSC-Trader with a keyboard shortcut

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • Using third-party trading panel

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other (please provide details)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpies

Trader
Mar 18, 2019
Hello!

This is a great tool! I have a few questions that could make it more efficient for me, almost a one click tool for what I need:

1) Could the stop-loss be set to the highest or lowest wick value in 8 candles (instead of the last one), for either buy or short by seeing if the current candle is red or green? It always defaults to buy I think.

You could code a seperate indicator finding the stop loss placement using iHighest/iLowest and then drawing a line. Then you place the PSC stop loss line at the drawn line.

That's what I have done.

Aaron Priest

Trader
Oct 25, 2019
Yeah, I'm using 2.26. There are three messages in the experts tab when I open a new chart with PSC in the chart template:

2019.10.26 08:12:23.443 PositionSizeCalculator (GBPCAD,H4) Trying to load settings from file.
2019.10.26 08:12:23.443 PositionSizeCalculator (GBPCAD,H4) No settings file to load.
2019.10.26 08:12:23.480 PositionSizeCalculator (GBPCAD,H4) Deleted duplicate panel objects with prefix = 23934.

It's odd it would say there is no settings file to load, and yet it has my settings. The stop loss line doesn't appear, but it's also set to -0.00001 for a number in the calculator and maybe just can't be seen because it's too close to the entry? It's not properly choosing the lowest wick where you can see it unless I don't have PSC in my chart template and I manually add it to the chart.

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Yeah, I'm using 2.26. There are three messages in the experts tab when I open a new chart with PSC in the chart template:

2019.10.26 08:12:23.443 PositionSizeCalculator (GBPCAD,H4) Trying to load settings from file.
2019.10.26 08:12:23.443 PositionSizeCalculator (GBPCAD,H4) No settings file to load.
2019.10.26 08:12:23.480 PositionSizeCalculator (GBPCAD,H4) Deleted duplicate panel objects with prefix = 23934.

It's odd it would say there is no settings file to load, and yet it has my settings. The stop loss line doesn't appear, but it's also set to -0.00001 for a number in the calculator and maybe just can't be seen because it's too close to the entry? It's not properly choosing the lowest wick where you can see it unless I don't have PSC in my chart template and I manually add it to the chart.

That's really odd. I cannot reproduce this behavior. Could you try setting up a clean chart, adding a PSC there, then saving a template, and then loading the template on a new clean chart? Does results in the same problem?

Aaron Priest

Trader
Oct 25, 2019
Weird, it's a clean chart. There are no other indicators or EAs or anything. I had done exactly as you described with a new install of MT5 on a new broker. Strange...

Aaron Priest

Trader
Oct 25, 2019
I tried it again, using defaults like you had done instead of loading my settings file just in case it was something I'd done, and I got the same error about the duplicate panel with prefix 08451 in the experts tab, and the stop loss line doesn't show up (says -0.00001 for a number, so maybe it's too close to entry to be seen if it does show up). We're both using MT5. Dunno what could be causing the difference.

Aaron Priest

Trader
Oct 25, 2019
Well, there is one thing we'd done different. You loaded a template onto an already open chart, and that did work for me (although it still had the error under the experts tab). I was opening a new chart where I had saved my template as default.tpl, and that's when the stop loss doesn't work. Give that a try on your end?

Aaron Priest

Trader
Oct 25, 2019
I think I figured something out: this is a new install of MT5 with a new broker, so for most of these pairs I've never opened a chart at all before. The first time I open a chart with my default.tpl and PSC attached is when the stop loss line doesn't appear or work. If I close that chart tab, and open a new chart again for the same pair, then it does work and the stop loss appears as it should. So I just have to go through every pair and open a chart twice the first time and then I'm good. So bizarre! I still get the error in the experts tab either way, whether it works or not for me. There's just something weird about the first time a chart is opened for a currency pair that doesn't have something initialized or cached or something weird until it's been opened and closed at least once.

EDIT: opening a new chart for a new currency pair, closing the chart tab, and opening a chart again isn't quite enough. I have to actually close PSC first, then close the chart tab, then open the chart a 2nd time. THEN the stop loss line appears as it should. It won't if I don't close PSC first the first time I use it with a new currency pair. Hope that helps?

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
It looks like the problem appears only when PSC is added to a default.tpl and the PSC get loaded to the chart faster than any data loads. I will try to fix that in the next version of the PSC. For now, you can just set any meaningful value in the SL field manually and then the line will appear there to be moved.

• 👍
Reactions: Aaron Priest

NickBixy

Trader
Oct 29, 2019
Hey just wanted to tell you guys the version 2.26 when i close the indicator by clicking the x sometimes it will close other times it will not close and will disappear from the active indicator list but stay stuck on the screen ,to unstuck it from screen i would open it again switch the timeframes back in forth switch symbols then click the x again this time it will close, i like to open the indicator with a hotkey set the sl, then also open the psc trader script with hotkey then close the psc indicator window by clicking x. so now im using the old 2.21 version which works good and doesn't have that issue, just letting you guys know the version 2.26 has that issue using the mt4 version 4.00 build 1220(13 sep 2019)

Last edited:

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Hey just wanted to tell you guys the version 2.26 when i close the indicator by clicking the x sometimes it will close other times it will not close and will disappear from the active indicator list but stay stuck on the screen ,to unstuck it from screen i would open it again switch the timeframes back in forth switch symbols then click the x again this time it will close, i like to open the indicator with a hotkey set the sl, then also open the psc trader script with hotkey then close the psc indicator window by clicking x. so now im using the old 2.21 version which works good and doesn't have that issue, just letting you guys know the version 2.26 has that issue using the mt4 version 4.00 build 1220(13 sep 2019)

I have experienced the same thing randomly this week with MT5. Not very often, but on occasion.

Could you please look at the Experts tab of the terminal when this happens (clicking on the 'x' does nothing) and see what the output there is.

• 👍
Reactions: NickBixy

NickBixy

Trader
Oct 29, 2019
it happened again but it was working so good for about 5 -10 trades i took was able to close window with no problems , i clicked x and also delete from indicator list but still stuck on screen.

the only setting i changed in source code is this lines
double MoneyRisk = 500;
sets.UseMoneyInsteadOfPercentage = true;

2019-11-04_04h07_19.png 2019-11-04_04h09_04.png
2019-11-04_04h18_33.png

• 👍
Reactions: Enivid

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Position Size Calculator has been updated to version 2.27 today. It aims to fix some bugs and improve user experience. It provides a new input parameter to tackle with the issue reported by @recep, @Alexter, and @Misanthropic. It fixes the zero-division error reported by @NickBixy and @Aaron Priest. It also fixes the issue with a stop-loss line missing reported by @Aaron Priest.

WARNING: The new version uses a different file name format for saving and loading panel settings. All your panels' fields will be reset after upgrading. Be careful!

Also, I have decided against implementing the change suggested by @peterpies as it will likely yield dangerous results to many traders.

The new version is also available on Github.

Thanks everyone for good work!

• 👍
Reactions: Alexter and NickBixy

Alexter

Active Trader
Jul 3, 2018
Position Size Calculator has been updated to version 2.27 today. It aims to fix some bugs and improve user experience. It provides a new input parameter to tackle with the issue reported by @recep, @Alexter, and @Misanthropic. It fixes the zero-division error reported by @NickBixy and @Aaron Priest. It also fixes the issue with a stop-loss line missing reported by @Aaron Priest.

WARNING: The new version uses a different file name format for saving and loading panel settings. All your panels' fields will be reset after upgrading. Be careful!

Also, I have decided against implementing the change suggested by @peterpies as it will likely yield dangerous results to many traders.

The new version is also available on Github.

Thanks everyone for good work!

Thank you for the great work on the updates. Great things here. I did my small modifications to the code (mostly just fixing and hiding the settings I know wont change for my setup), Also tested the corrections and all works great.

2 things. The new "UseCommissionToSetTPDistance" seems to either be wrong or slightly off. (tested it with a few pairs with 10USD commission Rounturn per lot and a 2.5 x TP for the button) and with the commission the output R:R was 2.44 so maybe there is a small mistake in the calculation (to be honest I didnt understand the calculation when I saw the code, but that must be because I am missing something)

The other point is that I use RT commission per lot instead of commission per side for my brokers (as this allows me to add my approximate per lot swap costs as "commission" and have them properly accounted for in the R:R calculator), so with every update I go into the code and delete all the *2 multiplications the code has for the commission (transforming it from per side to a RT commission input).

(I wonder if due to the changes you made to the code doing this change affects the previous point I mentioned about the R:R for the TP button but I checked with the clean new version and my own micro modified version and got the same R:R results with ICMarkets and a few FX pairs.

Also, love to see the last setting that you added working well. much appreciated for the brokers that have different ways of showing data to the programs (i know working with brokers not following the MT4 rules its a pain in the ass as they have some strange and even random changes that break "normal" compliant code)

Thanks again for all the hard work you put in this, ill keep recommending it to everyone I know that uses MT4 and MT5. (lol, i even tell some cTrader users to try MT4 or MT5 to be able to use this tool cos its just so useful and much faster to place trades than using most other platforms interfaces)

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
2 things. The new "UseCommissionToSetTPDistance" seems to either be wrong or slightly off. (tested it with a few pairs with 10USD commission Rounturn per lot and a 2.5 x TP for the button) and with the commission the output R:R was 2.44 so maybe there is a small mistake in the calculation (to be honest I didnt understand the calculation when I saw the code, but that must be because I am missing something)

The other point is that I use RT commission per lot instead of commission per side for my brokers (as this allows me to add my approximate per lot swap costs as "commission" and have them properly accounted for in the R:R calculator), so with every update I go into the code and delete all the *2 multiplications the code has for the commission (transforming it from per side to a RT commission input).

(I wonder if due to the changes you made to the code doing this change affects the previous point I mentioned about the R:R for the TP button but I checked with the clean new version and my own micro modified version and got the same R:R results with ICMarkets and a few FX pairs.

The calculator uses one-way commission. If you modify it to use round-turn, please make sure you are modifying this through all places in the code where it is applicable.

Thanks again for all the hard work you put in this, ill keep recommending it to everyone I know that uses MT4 and MT5. (lol, i even tell some cTrader users to try MT4 or MT5 to be able to use this tool cos its just so useful and much faster to place trades than using most other platforms interfaces)

Thanks a lot! That is really appreciated!

Misanthropic

Oct 2, 2019
Hi i just tried some test trades on BTCUSD with metatrader 5 and the position size calculator (ver.2.25). The position size is extremely off ( i had the same issue some weeks ago with other pairs and you managed to fix them). Do you think there is the same problem here? The volume for the active trade is always 0.01 no matter if i set 10 euro or 500 euro as a risk....
I am using euro as base currency

Thank you

CaesarCrypto

Nov 22, 2019
Hi all,

I'm experiencing a weird issue with the position size indicator on MT4.
On the USD/CHF pair the blue price line is not where the actual price is as you can see below. ofcourse this means the TP and SL is wrong too.
Weird thing is that this only happens on the USD/CHF, for the other pairs it's just fine.

In this case I had to enter the trade manually.

This is on the new version 2.27 but it also occurs on my previous version, 2.22.

Any idea what could be wrong here?

Thanks!

1574460257554.png

Status
Not open for further replies.