Price Action Swing Trading - The PAST Strategy

jasper

Trader
Jul 21, 2013
Hi Nigel
I have been trying to find a thread on the gold trades following last weeks reversal on the weekly charts??
Jasper

basilc

Trader
Jul 3, 2013
Ireland
Hi Basil

Yes absolutely, breakevens are very frustrating. When price action is choppy and lacking direction unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. I like to think about it like the market making you put in a few hard shifts before giving you your payday. The market can often be quite directionless, especially during the summer. That's why all the big boys leave for July and August!

But I would encourage you to look at it this way - say for instance you traded for two weeks and neither of the weekly signals you traded worked out. You have had a run of breakevens and a few losses and you have lost, say for argument's sake, 200 pips. Hopefully it would not be as bad as that - you might have done better or you may have done worse, I don't know. But say you had a bad couple of weeks and are 200 pips down.

However, when you look at that 200 pips in the context of what is achievable when a weekly signal is successful, you will see that 200 pips is nothing.

The other week I had two shorts on EUR/AUD and from memory I had a floating profit of something like 300 pips, maybe a few more. Both positions ended up getting stopped out at break-even. Frustrating, yes, but it doesn't make me want to give up. Why? Because looking at the weekly chart of EUR/AUD, had it broken down in my direction, that pip tally would have tripled or quadrupled very, very quickly. The average weekly range of the EUR/AUD at the moment is 370 pips!

As long as you continue to control your risk and keep an eye on the bigger picture, the successful trades come along in time.

I might add too, there is nothing wrong with using a daily chart as an anchor and making your entries on intraday timeframes if that is what suits you better. A successful trading strategy will always be the one that is tailored to suit you. It's just that I prefer the weekly/monthly charts, so that is what I concentrate on.

All the best with your trading - any questions feel free to ask :D
Good evening Nigel,

The quality of feedback I received after dropping my small pebble into the Forum pool last Friday, speaks volumes about the remarkable thread you created when introducing the PAST Strategy on 1st July 2013! Thanks to one and all - it is much appreciated.

From now on I shall resist the temptation to dive in until after the CLOSE of the first Weekly candle depicting a new trend. Had I been more patient, as frequently suggested in PAST strategy, I'd not have been stopped out 8 times in succession. And being stopped out twice at breakeven after showing nice potential profits merely added salt to the wounds. OUCH!

I might not be gaining pips yet but I'm certainly gaining experience.

Sláinte.

Olu

Master Trader
usdjpy

Abe got the better of his counterparts in the elections but the usdjpy didnt soar. I then sold it as shown on the chart. It is a free trade now and if it rallies back to the entry point there is still a profit made on this trade

Olu

Attachments

• usdjpy-2h-21072013-0119uk.jpg
    usdjpy-2h-21072013-0119uk.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 87

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Abe got the better of his counterparts in the elections but the usdjpy didnt soar.

Classic case of buy the rumour, sell the fact Olu!

Have to admit, reading the coverage over the weekend I was thinking the elections could send USD/JPY on its way again to the upside. Just goes to show, you can never know for sure what way a market is going to react! Pointless trying to predict it.

I was looking at long gold last week and l spent the whole week reading about how catastrophically bearish the gold chart is, 900 and below, etc. Now that it's popped above 1300 everyone is saying massive short squeeze, record shorts, etc.

The news really does just follow the price.

Good luck for the coming week!

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Hi Nigel
I have been trying to find a thread on the gold trades following last weeks reversal on the weekly charts??
Jasper

Hi Jasper, thanks for the question.

I didn't manage to get in here to post about the gold trade last week unfortunately, I had a few more pressing things going on here that needed my attention.

However I'm more than happy to go through it now for you.

For me, it wasn't a clean trade at all, and I currently don't have a position. Which is unfortunate for me, because price has moved to the upside quite nicely. But first and foremost I always concentrate on keeping my losses to a minimum and I'm happy I did that.

Here is the weekly reversal signal in gold that I was watching:

Attachments

• rep copy.png
    rep copy.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 115

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
And below is the 4 hour chart as I saw it at the time.

I was hoping for a clean break of the trendline, perhaps a retest, and then a move away to the upside.

Attachments

• rep4 copy.png
    rep4 copy.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 104

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
And here is the updated chart. As we can see, price did largely follow the path that we thought it would, just not in a very tidy fashion.

As traders, we have to be able to cope with this - price will rarely behave exactly as you expect, in fact most often it will do the exact opposite.

It's not the ability to predict the direction of price that separates the profitable traders from the unprofitable, it is the ability to control losses and exploit opportunities when they arrive.

Hope this helps Jasper. Good luck :D

Attachments

• update.png
    update.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 112

basilc

Trader
Jul 3, 2013
Ireland
I haven't figured out how to post charts yet but for what it's worth, I'm short NZDJPY after making absolutely sure all PAST criteria have been satisfied. Profit target is ± 800 pips!

Sláinte

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
A very good infographic on realistic expectations in trading:

http://forexuseful.com/authors/forex-useful/forex-realistic-monthly-returns-infographic

The combination of wild expectations and the use of large amounts of leverage to attempt to achieve them is what takes many traders out of the game prematurely.

In the case of the PAST Strategy, where it is possible to endure a long period of small losers before seeing a large winner, a lot of traders will trade too large during the losing period and then will not be around for the big winner when it comes.

Something to bear in mind... :D

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Hi Guys, I've been working at dollar/yen this week.

I'll post a full review of how it went at the weekend.

For now though, this is the trendline I will be focusing on for the remainder of the week.

All the best for now :D

Nigel

Attachments

• jpy4.png
    jpy4.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 105