Price Action Swing Trading - The PAST Strategy

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
EURAUD looks interesting.
For, while the 4H chart shows a potential bounce Southward, the last Week chart ends with a new high and a strongish bull candle.

Hi Basil, thank you very much for your kind words. Indeed, if I find myself around Waterford I will certainly call in, Curraghmore looks spectacular.

Yes, if we keep focus on the long term charts we are giving ourselves the chance of participating in a large, protracted move. But we want to do so with exposing ourselves to the smallest risk possible. Measure reward on the long timeframe and risk on the short timeframe. For someone who has less time to spend on the charts, combining the weekly/monthly timeframe with perhaps the 4 hour or even daily charts, would be ideal.

As far as EUR/AUD is concerned, well it was looking very promising early on in the week, as it was falling sharply. However Bernanke managed to reverse trends across a lot of markets and EUR/AUD was not exempt. The move in EUR/USD in particular was astonishing.

The weekly candle on EUR/AUD, as Basil says, finished as a bullish one, closing near the highs. It does have a long wick to the downside however, which indicates indecision. Although I still think that EUR/AUD is a good candidate for a fall soon, I would prefer to see more evidence of a reversal on the weekly timeframe first, before trying to short it.

Good luck for the coming week.

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Just wondering Nigel do the above pairs make it to your shortlist?

Olu

Hi Olu - thanks for the comment.

Absolutely, last week's price action was characterised by dollar weakness across many markets. USD/CAD and USD/SGD (although I have to admit, I have never traded the Singapore dollar) have both posted weekly bearish reversal candles, so if we were going to trade these markets the price action suggests we should be doing so to the downside.

The only caveat I would add is that the weekly preceding trend isn't very long, only three candles in the case of USD/CAD, but then again no signal is perfect.

USD/CAD actually would be my second favourite instrument for the coming week, I think personally I will be considering some longs in Gold this week (again, dollar bearish).

I just took a look at USD/CAD to see if I could get a good trendline - maybe something like the one below perhaps? Let's see what happens during the week anyway.

All the best

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Very nice Olu, spot on!

As we can see, the dollar lost a lot of ground right across the board last week.

Do any of us know whether the weakness will continue or not? No, no one knows, and anyone who tells you that they do know is pulling your leg.

Trading is a probability game - we suspect that price might go in a particular direction. If it does, we make the most out of it. But we must always be prepared for the distinct possibility that price will move against us. It happens all the time. When it does, we must be prepared to go on the defensive and lose as little as possible.

That is the real skill in trading. Too many people think trading is about predicting direction successfully; it's not. It's about managing risk.

Olaf, say for instance you play USD\JPY to the downside this week and for some reason the yen weakens a lot and the pair rises. Your job in that case is to recognise that it is happening and take steps to control your exposure - i.e. keep any losers small. If your trendline breaks this week and the USD/JPY subsequently collapses, your job is to make sure you keep any positions you have open for as long as possible.

Good luck for the coming week.

Last edited:

Olu

Master Trader
usdjpy

the markets have opened and this is the closeup of the 4hr usdjpy and a structure I was asking Nigel about.
A break below the upward sloping line will be good. However there is support around 98.20. If that is overcome then even better

Attachments

• usdjpy-4h-14072013-2300uk.jpg
    usdjpy-4h-14072013-2300uk.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

fortunatus

Trader
Jul 8, 2013
Hey Olu,
The trend lines are well drawn; Of course anything is possible in forex, but dont you think that dropping down to the 1 hour chart on the usd/jpy pair, there have been so many bullish consolidating pattern?. Coupled with the fact that there was a large 2 bar reversal that formed earlier on the weekly chart. While nothing is certain, I would rather go for the Gold, even if the trend is not completely reversing, we can still make something out of a healthy retrace, while i watch how the usd.jpy plays out since what we are seemingly looking for is the big gain. Too much indecision on USD/JPY for me now.
your opinion would be appreciated, we learn everyday.

the markets have opened and this is the closeup of the 4hr usdjpy and a structure I was asking Nigel about.
A break below the upward sloping line will be good. However there is support around 98.20. If that is overcome then even better

Last edited:

basilc

Trader
Jul 3, 2013
Ireland
USDJPY

Good morning all from Ireland,

Like Olu I too have been watching USDJPY. After exiting my short position for a 65 pip profit when the market began to retrace on Friday I set an Alert to re-enter if and when the 98.00 support level is breached.

For what it's worth my view for this pair is to head South to 88.00 medium term and to 82.00 long term.

Sláinte,

Basil

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Hey Olu,

If you look at the weekly chart, the bearish reversal candle on USD/JPY is still very much in play - it has completed approximately a 50% retrace which is entirely normal.

Maybe watch out to see if price falls down to the trendline at a later point during the week and we'll see if it breaks then. I wouldn't totally count out the bears just yet, it's only Monday afternoon. Maybe they had a hard weekend ;)

Olu

Master Trader
Hey Olu,

If you look at the weekly chart, the bearish reversal candle on USD/JPY is still very much in play - it has completed approximately a 50% retrace which is entirely normal.

Maybe watch out to see if price falls down to the trendline at a later point during the week and we'll see if it breaks then. I wouldn't totally count out the bears just yet, it's only Monday afternoon. Maybe they had a hard weekend ;)

Hi Nigel Thanks for your comments. I agree with you to take on board that its only monday in this new week. I will keep an eye on this one as price rallied but is now showing signs of weakness.

The US$ appears to be showing weakness and we could be in for more downside despite the early strength observed. I will post the chart on usdsgd which appears to be clearer

Olu

fortunatus

Trader
Jul 8, 2013
Weakness? Well, I kinda think so, Hope Nigel would give is Opinion on this. I'd be looking at USD/CHF, cos of its lesser spread. Hey, how do you place your entry orders, is it the break of the trendline or a retrace?
Thanks

weakness?

Olu

Master Trader
Weakness? Well, I kinda think so, Hope Nigel would give is Opinion on this. I'd be looking at USD/CHF, cos of its lesser spread. Hey, how do you place your entry orders, is it the break of the trendline or a retrace?
Thanks

Thanks Fortunatus

I enter on a close below the trend line on the 4h chart. Usdchf is good too but for some reason I missed looking at that one. The $ is taking a beating today generally.

basilc

Trader
Jul 3, 2013
Ireland
Hi Nigel,

Your call on GOLD was spot on. With strong green candles above the 1H trend line I entered the market at 1286.9. Two hours later its heading North admittedly somewhat sluggishly, but I'm in profit with a nice tight stop loss.

fortunatus

Trader
Jul 8, 2013
Very true Olu and thumbs up with the updates,
I also missed the usd/cad cos i was managing other trades. Right now, im expecting a retracement on a lower time frame, since the candles have been consecutively bearish on the 1h tf, I'd expect price to take a rest; I hope i'll get my way in with the throwback. What about you, any plans?

Find below 2 trades that are working. Even the usdjpy I abandoned is coming back

fortunatus

Trader
Jul 8, 2013
Dear,
I think we still have Ample opportunity to enter the USD/CAD trade, this is how i see the chart

usdcad-h4-fxpro-financial-services

Attachments

• usdcad-h4-fxpro-financial-services-2.png
    usdcad-h4-fxpro-financial-services-2.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Olu

Master Trader
Very true Olu and thumbs up with the updates,
I also missed the usd/cad cos i was managing other trades. Right now, im expecting a retracement on a lower time frame, since the candles have been consecutively bearish on the 1h tf, I'd expect price to take a rest; I hope i'll get my way in with the throwback. What about you, any plans?

Hi Fortunatus

I am short the usdsgd. Now watch the usdjpy go. I will post a chart on it. By the way all most all the pairs have the weekly low to contend with now

Olu