Why do you need a forex trading plan?

Aialocon

Mar 23, 2015
It's nice that everyone here agrees with the fact that a trading plan is a crucial part of a successful trading experience. However, none of you has ever even given an example of a trading plan and explain what is exactly meant by a trading plan. Say I am a beginner in trading and I see this thread so I would expect to get some sort of an understanding :) develop your ideas people

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
OK, here is my trading plan for a large share of trades I make based on technical analysis:
1. Scan H4, D1, W1 charts of the major and minor currency pairs.
2. Find chart patterns like channels, triangles, double tops/bottoms, head-and-shoulders, etc.
3. Market them up, finding the pattern's height and placing entry/TP triggers based on that.
4. Set up an automated EA to trade breakouts of those patterns based on the placed entry/TP. Setup includes setting position size to risk no more than 1% of the account balance on a failed trade.
5. Wait for the trigger.
6. If trade fails - analyze what went wrong if anything. Record everything into a trade journal.

Aialocon

Mar 23, 2015
thank you for the nice example of a trading plan. however, I believe for beginners, EA is not the best idea. these could be used later on when the trader gathers a good bulk of knowledge in trading.

markiva

Confirmed ProfiForex Representative
May 9, 2015
It is good to have a trading plan in forex because some times your emotion might affect on your trading decision when trading and with a trading plan you have total control of your trades. It is very vital for every trader to have a plan.

fxapex

Active Trader
Jun 7, 2013
Its important to learn how not to lose first. Then how to win,And planning is of course first thing to do.

Yes its the first thing a trader should do, planning will help you to place your trades in the right time and make decisions quickly.

koyl

Trader
May 25, 2015
A trading plan is good because it makes you to be well organized and it gives you rules to follow. It also help you in planning your trades and keeping it for historical records.

Aialocon

Mar 23, 2015
if you are emotional and you allow your emotions control your actions, then no plan will help you. emotions will affect you and may decide that the plan you had is not good enough and start making changes and most probably mistakes

Jesse.muller

Trader
Mar 26, 2015
What I'm wondering, if everybody has a trading plan, do you change the plan often, or do you stick with it if you encounter some bad trades?
A good example is if you're trading trends, but the market goes in a ranging market do you switch your strategy or just keep your profits smaller in the ranging market conditions?

Aialocon

Mar 23, 2015
It is normal to make changes in the trading plan according to the market behaviour, you can not use the same plan all the time