time frame

tsétsé

Trader
Dec 23, 2012
Hi everybody,
I am newbie at forex and here is my question:
in any time frame(5 min,15 min,H1,H4,day...)is there a proportion between the moment of the execution of an order and the moment where the order should reach its goal(supposing that it is a winning order)
thank you

Good morning everybody,
I am newbie and i want to know if there is approximately a proportion between the moment of executing an order and the moment the order should take effect
thank you

Easy Trader

Master Trader
Sep 17, 2011
Yes, It is what is called liquidity or the ability of the broker to fill your order at the price you desire. We as end-users refer to it as slippage. This is different from the spread that one would see when placing a Market Order on a 5M/15M chart. You can set a filter to eliminate slippage on MT4 platform. Slippage or low liquidity varies from broker to broker, chart to chart, minute to minute such as a news releases. With that said the market moves like clock work for the most part and it isn't much to worry about unless you are scalping or trading very low timeframes. I trade larger timeframes, dont place market orders, and stay away from exotic pairs during news periods. I may have missed something or overstated something(holiday spirits) but I'm sure others will chime in

capsmart

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2012
Kos island, Greece
I think tsetse would like to know how much time he has to wait before his trade reaches the take profit. Let's say he is trading on 1h chart. He opens a trade and then wants to know if 1,2,3,4 etc hours are needed before he can cash his profits. Well tsetse there is no exact answer to your question. Depending on the time frame your stop loss and take profit will vary. If is logical when trading from a 5m chart to expect to make a profit of 10 pips. 10 pips is an "easy" target (and a loss too) and it can take from 1m or less to 4h for price to move and hit your stop loss or take profit. Additionally if you trade on the 4h chart then you expect to make 100 pips profit. Again for price to move in your direction it can take 5 min (after an important event) or days before your goal is reached.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Nope, no easy answer to that one..your order or the exit can be reached in less than a minute or the price may move very slowly, again it depends on volatility, currency pair, time-frame etc.

GMMA-Trader

Master Trader
Dec 27, 2012
New York
hey tsetse,
There are a lot of factors that can affect your trade execution time. In my experience, your broker plays a major part. Make sure you get an honest broker (i don't know if these types of brokers exist anymore) to trade with.

By the way, I'm putting together a secluded group with like-minded individuals to trade forex as a whole. They will be taught how to trade properly, get the support they need, share ideas, and be part of a family. Let me know if you're interested.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Sorry, are you offering to mentor newbies and other like minded traders - just asking.. Fair enough and do you charge anything for this or is it for free?

GMMA-Trader

Master Trader
Dec 27, 2012
New York
I need about 5 to 10 newbies to join my group. It's free for them to join. The reason I prefer newbies is because they tend to be more teachable, more open to new concepts about trading. Experienced traders tend to think they know it all, so it's very difficult for them to learn new tricks.

By the way, I will start posting demo and real account results of my trades on this site and twitter. So stay tuned!

GMMA-Trader

Master Trader
Dec 27, 2012
New York
Hey mdenamul,

That is exactly how you should trade... when you're not tired, when you can think straight.

I will create a small trading team where I will be coaching new traders on how to trade as a group. I believe that when you are part of a team, you can accomplish more.

But in the meantime, keep track of my results, daily.

Happy trading!
GMMA-Trader

My motto: Trade with your head. Robots are for lazies!

Maria08

Banned
Oct 23, 2012
Hey mdenamul,

That is exactly how you should trade... when you're not tired, when you can think straight.

I will create a small trading team where I will be coaching new traders on how to trade as a group. I believe that when you are part of a team, you can accomplish more.

But in the meantime, keep track of my results, daily.

Happy trading!
GMMA-Trader

My motto: Trade with your head. Robots are for lazies!

I like your motto- interesting and rarely very good one. i have the same motto as yours.

I would be better off using a manual trade. with a manual trade, I will be able to assess my skills and abilities in the trade. if i had an error, I would be an easy fix and I was not lazy to analyze the market price. manual can help me improve my quality of technical trading.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Manual trading is for real where as ea's rarely work and the ones that do work, make few trades/week and cost a hellva lot..takes time to hit break even..

CityBoy

Trader
Oct 11, 2012
that depends on how long you plan to stay in the position for.

I personally trade every few days therefore I use the 4hourly chart, if you want to trade every few weeks or months then perhaps the daily or the weekly chart may be better for you, of course the longer you trade the higher SL and TF you need to do.