volume in forex

lucacrebbe

Active Trader
Jun 26, 2017
Hello I would like to have an idea of the volume in forex (not the volume of my broker, the real volume). How can I do?
I know forex is not regulated, but Future Forex it is. So can I open an account for trading eur/usd futures and see the volume there having an idea of what really happens?

Anyway I could use the tick-volume grafics, but it's inaccurate... I want to see the real volume at the break-out points...

Also I don't understand: if forex is not regulated, which volumes does shows the markets profile in metatrader?

Thanks.

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
not the volume of my broker, the real volume

Actually, the volume of your broker is quite real, but brokers normally just do not share it.

I know forex is not regulated, but Future Forex it is.

Regulation has nothing to do with volume availability. There is no volume data for the global spot FX market because it is a decentralized over-the-counter market. It is also regulated in nearly all participating jurisdictions.

So can I open an account for trading eur/usd futures and see the volume there having an idea of what really happens?

You can, but what you will be seeing is the futures volume on the particular exchange you are trading at - similarly to what happens at your retail spot FX broker. Moreover, you do not even need to open a futures trading account for that. Some exchanges share their volume data. For example, here is GLOBEX data: http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/fx/g10/euro-fx.html

Anyway I could use the tick-volume grafics, but it's inaccurate...

Tick volume is completely different from volume. I would not use it at all.

which volumes does shows the markets profile in metatrader?

Market Profile indicator does not show volume, it shows 'price density' - levels of price spent most of its time.

• 👍
Reactions: lucacrebbe

lucacrebbe

Active Trader
Jun 26, 2017
Actually, the volume of your broker is quite real, but brokers normally just do not share it.

Regulation has nothing to do with volume availability. There is no volume data for the global spot FX market because it is a decentralized over-the-counter market. It is also regulated in nearly all participating jurisdictions.

You can, but what you will be seeing is the futures volume on the particular exchange you are trading at - similarly to what happens at your retail spot FX broker. Moreover, you do not even need to open a futures trading account for that. Some exchanges share their volume data. For example, here is GLOBEX data: http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/fx/g10/euro-fx.html

Tick volume is completely different from volume. I would not use it at all.

Market Profile indicator does not show volume, it shows 'price density' - levels of price spent most of its time.

Thank you, really helpful.

Just out of curiosity... a good way to test the autenticity of a break-out without using the volume?

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
That usually depends on the timeframe. On a weekly chart, the close above/below the line is a good indicator of the breakout authenticity. On daily and 4-hour, I would wait for an extra candle forming above/below the line. On lower timeframes, it is just a matter of price action and minor local support/resistance levels.

BipsMore

Trader
Mar 6, 2018
There may not be a body regulating the global forex market but the market is sufficiently regulated through individual nations. So, we can’t say there is a risk of any systemic failure. However, individual brokers, scammers could be more frequent in this market and therefore, you need to be careful about them.