Psychology :Traders brains are wired to lose in trading.

Trading losses often lead to emotional distress and turmoil. The trader may re-experience those painful memories in future trades. Trading after losses, a trader may become paralyzed and unable to enter the trade or act in other fear-based ways.

{0v0}

Trader
Dec 12, 2016
EU
Emotional distress from losses stems from a total misunderstanding of the role of losses in trading.
One can only profit from trading by being in the market, and being in the market means some trades win and some trades lose. That is totally normal.

The art of trading is not to eliminate losses, it is purely to ensure, through sound risk/money management and strict adherence to a proven method, that profits exceed losses over time.

In this way, losses can be seen as the "overheads" in the business just like in any other business.

Bad losses are those that occur through sloppy risk management and non-systematic trading.

AlphixCapital

Trader
Aug 9, 2019
Emotional distress from losses stems from a total misunderstanding of the role of losses in trading.
One can only profit from trading by being in the market, and being in the market means some trades win and some trades lose. That is totally normal.

The art of trading is not to eliminate losses, it is purely to ensure, through sound risk/money management and strict adherence to a proven method, that profits exceed losses over time.

In this way, losses can be seen as the "overheads" in the business just like in any other business.

Bad losses are those that occur through sloppy risk management and non-systematic trading.

I absolutely agree with your statement here.
Most of the traders underweight the importance of risk management with particular regard to position sizing and risk/reward balance. I believe that this lack of estimate within the humans it's natural and can be only taken off by the use of EA, indicators or some other technology that hider the emotion to come out in front of important trading decision.
Btw Great Topic

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: {0v0}

{0v0}

Trader
Dec 12, 2016
EU
I believe that this lack of estimate within the humans it's natural and can be only taken off by the use of EA, indicators or some other technology that hider the emotion to come out in front of important trading decision.

I wish I could say that I disagree with this but I cannot! :) I would much prefer to be able to say that traders should be able to control their discipline and emotions through experience and adherence to the rules of their trading method, but I think that is seldom the case!

As you say, humans are humans, and that means emotions will always tend to get in the way and that is difficult to avoid without some kinds of aids in the forms you mention.

Although I do fear that EAs are not always that reliable and, if they are, then for how long? Personally, I prefer a personal discretionary approach to price developments within the rule-set of my method, but it is still sometimes difficult to remain sufficiently detached from what is happening on the screen! ;)

• 👍
Reactions: AlphixCapital

AlphixCapital

Trader
Aug 9, 2019
I wish I could say that I disagree with this but I cannot! :) I would much prefer to be able to say that traders should be able to control their discipline and emotions through experience and adherence to the rules of their trading method, but I think that is seldom the case!

As you say, humans are humans, and that means emotions will always tend to get in the way and that is difficult to avoid without some kinds of aids in the forms you mention.

Although I do fear that EAs are not always that reliable and, if they are, then for how long? Personally, I prefer a personal discretionary approach to price developments within the rule-set of my method, but it is still sometimes difficult to remain sufficiently detached from what is happening on the screen! ;)

Saying that traders should have control over discipline it's pretty easy, it's harder (for the most impossible) to apply this in reality.
EA helps to take decisions. By setting up your robot you can be alerted every time that something (a discretionary decision that a trader takes) happens.
EA life is as long as a discretionary trading strategy. Market changes and as the market changes traders must adapt their knowledge, strategy and evaluations to the market. The same must be done with EA :)

Baazex

Trader
Oct 28, 2019
You should never trade under pressure,any business or work you will do under pressure will effect the performance but specially in trading if you will make trading decissions under pressure it will result wrong steps and great loss.

Ary Barroso

Active Trader
Jul 9, 2017
I agree to some extent . Traders are constantly affected by emotions and have a tough time remaining disciplined and patient. Though everyone in the trading world advise us to be not emotional and remain indifferent . However, all these things are too hard to follow. The human mind and heart are emotional . We take decisions based on our emotions.
But , that doesn’t mean trading is out of picture . Controlling emotions and other psychological factors is hard but something which one can learn with time. Beginners have a tough time with emotions but as one gains experience and expertise , he is able to play an intelligent fair game.At the end of the day , its your game and know know better what all steps you mus take to close profitable positions
So , right knowledge, hard work and a good state of mind is the key to success in trading i believe.
It’s our natural habit; to control my bad emotions I always do meditation; it helps me a lot during my trading sessions!