Why demo performance is often better than live performance?

Resolve

Master Trader
Dec 7, 2013
Demo performance is better than live performance because the risk and real money are not involved so the trader stays calm while practicing on demo.
When we are trading in the Demo trading accounts we are not being serious traders and this is one of the mistakes we do.

hk_09

Banned
Oct 30, 2020
When we are trading in the Demo trading accounts we are not being serious traders and this is one of the mistakes we do.
Yes, for practicing stress free, demo is good. But if we see it the other way round, we should be as serious while trading on a demo account, coz that will somewhere take us longer in this journey of trading.

Jerry_Ken

Trader
Dec 11, 2020
Yes, for practicing stress free, demo is good. But if we see it the other way round, we should be as serious while trading on a demo account, coz that will somewhere take us longer in this journey of trading.
Correct. The foundations should be strong right from the beginning.

Todor

Trader
Dec 16, 2020
Right. I think that's up to a trader with which approach he is using a demo account. If he is serious, good for him and if not, his loss.

hk_09

Banned
Oct 30, 2020
When I was trading with a demo account, I was able to earn constant profit, and when I tried the same strategy in live trades, I mostly failed.

I understood that the demo was just a tool to learn about the live market, the prices changed, and the strategy that I used on demo had to be improvised.
That's right. It is not always that strategies winning on dmeo account will give same results in live trading too. Mostly, it varies from broker to broker, how similar the trading conditions are in both the accounts. Also , emotions enter when one is trading live, so there can be change in how one trades and the results.

forexking

Feb 15, 2021
Demo is often better than live because it allows you to backtest and formulate the strategy without having to use your own money. And also, you donot have to feel the fear of losing money in a demo account, but sooner or later, you will have to consider using a live account to start trading seriously.

e_abrams

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2020
Demo has its own (very necessary) uses, but it cannot be better than live because one cannot actually profit from it.

Jürgen

Banned
Jan 14, 2021
While trading in a demo account, there is no slippage, and we tend to take more risk and use several strategies which help in profit.

When trading live, the risk is real, so you start to hesitate to take risks and use the same strategy that once brought profit because you are scared to try new ones because it might cause a loss in your trade.

e_abrams

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2020
It very much does. Unfortunately, figuring out the slippage is big after you've already invested can be such a hassle.

RaviTeja

Banned
May 31, 2021
Demo performance is better because we keep practising on it without any kind of risks for loss of capital.

In live trading, we tend to keep our guards up and make mistakes because of fear and do not intend to take risks.

e_abrams

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2020
I wouldn't call either one of them "better" as both have their necessary place. You can't profit off demo. It's not a good idea to be learning on a live account from scratch.

Crash101

Trader
Jul 25, 2021
I think there can be fear in trading demo if you have set yourself a goal to be profitable on a demo account. I have a goal focused trading programme and the fear you have in trading demo is failing your challenge and the waste of time that relates so I think the fear can be similar and it depends on how you are doing demo trading. There has to be a goal focused orientated task which then puts you under pressure and this then will be very similar to trading live. The right approach is essential. I have put the details of the free programme I have developed in the "advertised" channel. If anyone is interested just trying to develop consistant traders using a goal orientated approach. The programme is free but there is a cost to you.. check it out.