3rd Generation Moving Average (Least possible lag)

Numa

Trader
Sep 13, 2011
Hi,

I just stumpled upon an interesting recent scientific publication of Dr. M. Dürschner (2011) and think this may be of interest for many traders. Dürschner presented a novel type of Moving average: the 3rd Generation Moving Average. His work gave a mathematical prove that 3rd. Generation MAs have the least theoretically possible lag and demonstrated it using a toy expert advisor system (which had quite impression results by the way).

For interested ones, the 3rd Generation Moving Average can downloaded for free now.

Google for "3rd Generation Moving Averages" :)

At the web page from scientific-trading you can also find the theoretical paper which was awarded by the German representation of the IFTA (International Federation of technical Analysts).

With Best Regards
Numa

• 👍
Reactions: Enivid

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Thanks for sharing the info, it looks very interesting. But I'm not very fond of the indicators that run using DLLs - they may contain potential PC security threats. I'll try to read Durschner's work and share the .mq4 if no one does that before me.

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Got the .mq4 files ready. The actual 3rd Generation Moving Average formula is quite simple. The problem for me was that the document was in German. Now you can download the source code of the indicator and also the expert advisor (derived from Adjustable MA) that can be used to test the new moving average.

To me, it looks not much better than the old MAs. Although the lag is significantly lower, it's still present and trading using these non-lag moving averages is still complicated.

You can download the MetaTrader 4 (MQL4) codes of the 3rd Generation Moving Average indicator and the 3rd Generation Moving Average Expert Advisor here. Please let me know if you find some bugs:

Attachments

• 3rdGenMA.mq4
    3.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Adjustable_MA_3G.mq4
    7.1 KB · Views: 245

ForexNewbie51

Active Trader
Sep 22, 2011
I'd like to say "Thanks Enivid" for sharing the 3rdGen MA indicator. It is quantum improvement on the traditional ones. I have worked out equivalency settings to replicate my preferred MA set values and these are _so_ much more responsive.

lopezoscari

Trader
Oct 19, 2011
Whats the diference

I downloaded the attached indicator for the scientific trading page. In the indicator you coded for 3rd Gen MA what is the sampling period? What is their difference? Why your applied price is typical instead of weighted? Thanks

Attachments

• ST Moving Averages 3rd Generation.ex4
    9.7 KB · Views: 130

saifx

Active Trader
Oct 25, 2011
Hi Enivid,

One short question,

What is the S_Period_1 & 2 means in the Adjustable_MA_3G?

thanks

saifx

Active Trader
Oct 25, 2011
Hi Enivid,

Beautiful indicator, this.

How about adding a shift parameter to it?
I wonder how the M&W cross would pan out.

Thanks for your wonderful works!