How much faster is MT5?

TradeChaser

Active Trader
May 12, 2020
I am getting further into building dash boards that iterate through several custom indicators. This is naturally very taxing on MT4. I have heard that MT5 is faster and accesses more cores in your computer's processer. I will admit, I have a loose idea why that is beneficial, but do not know if that applies to what I am looking to do.

The average dashboard I build that checks logic behind custom indicators will push the MT4 client to 20%+ cpu usage.

Will MT5 load dashboards that go through all pairs and timeframes (essentially iterating numerous times through arrays by pair and timeframe), check numerous indicator statuses, etc. and apply conditional OBJPROPs faster than MT4 will, ideally without freezing? Or is this simply a process that is inherently slow and will freeze any client terminal?

TradeChaser

Active Trader
May 12, 2020
ADDED:

To perhaps provide even better context to my question, I have a lot of custom indicator's that I have created. they probably could be better and are likely inefficient - maybe that is my real problem although I doubt it, because the MT4 freezes happens even when it's just built-in indicators as well.

I know MT5 will be a learning curveball thrown my way, so I am polling anyone reading as to whether MT5's processing power is such that it's worth learning to code for Dashboard creation and not trading (I am in US and I don't believe I can use it in this way).

Ak04

Trader
May 31, 2022
Found it to be slow so far with the scripts.
The most important thing is your ping speeds.
Usually around 100 ms is pretty slow.

Ak04

Trader
May 31, 2022
MT5 won't be faster for a dashboard indicator. MT5 is still very poor at working with many chart objects at once.

Envid, is it normal for mt5 to get hung up and not display ONE chart out of all the other pairs?

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Envid, is it normal for mt5 to get hung up and not display ONE chart out of all the other pairs?
This usually happens when you have more than one account in the platform. Some symbols are from one account, others are from the other. When you are connected to one account, you cannot load charts of the other symbols, and vice versa.

Ak04

Trader
May 31, 2022
The ping doesn't depend on whether it is MT4 or MT5. The ping depends on the connection between you and the broker.
That's exactly what I meant. I'm using a broker that has the slowest servers and it's a real nuisance....among other "things".

Ak04

Trader
May 31, 2022
This usually happens when you have more than one account in the platform. Some symbols are from one account, others are from the other. When you are connected to one account, you cannot load charts of the other symbols, and vice versa.
Hmmm..not what I was experiencing. It was weird, only on that particular chart. I keep thinking it's a stupid script that's bogging down mt5.

I had this happen, quite a few times with 4, when I have an indicator that starts a process that's maybe too heavy on memory at that moment and it freezes up.

I don't know, I think mt5 is not as good a product as the company wants to portray...just my personal opinion.

Ak04

Trader
May 31, 2022
So did you decide to continue on with MT4?
No, this particular broker "off-shore" I was studying, only offered the 5 platform. Mt5 just seems a bit buggy and the options of add-ons out there are pretty limited for what I need even the simple stuff. Not worth paying to get it done either.

I decided to I was done with the broker for now after the same usual routine I was noticing.

• 👍
Reactions: Glossy and HeavenLeighGill

najafi

Trader
Nov 19, 2021
Iran
After demo trading with MT4 for almost 2 years, I switched to MT5 and am happy with this new version.
I think MT5 is far better than MT4 because it utilizes multi-thread features that employ more than 1 CPU core, which leads to a faster experience.

So, I can't understand why people don't upgrade their MetaTrader! :)

• 👍
Reactions: Mikhail_trade

Mikhail_trade

Sep 9, 2022
I have used both MT4 and MT5 as well and prefer 5 for reasons I would have to explain in paragraph form (realizing most wouldn't care to read). To each their own.