Selecting a good broker.....

Feb 25, 2016
South Africa
These days there is lots of competition between brokers. Enticing newbies with all kinds of bonuses.
Do not be blinded by these kind of bonuses.
Some things to look at when selecting a good broker.
It is good if they are FCA regulated.
Enquire about their "negative balance policies" - last year we experienced a "black swan" event, some better brokers forgave the trader negative balances, others insisted on them being paid back (you agreed that losses may exceed your initial deposit) A few big names had to close up shop after the "swiss bank fiasco" last year and after that a whole lot mushroomed up again, only to be forced to close their doors again after the next black swan.
There are other things to take into consideration like spread and commission.
Do a bit of research first. forexpeacearmy dot com has reviews on almost all brokers.

devis77

Active Trader
Nov 8, 2011
Regarding the negative balance I can tell you that my broker Deltastock didn't ask me to cover the negative balance when the Swiss National Bank suddenly announced that it would no longer hold the Swiss franc at a fixed exchange rate with the euro. I heard they have another subsidiary company regulated by the FCA which is DF Markets. I share the name of the broker because I am really happy that I am not in debt now :)

• 👍
Reactions: profxindicators

GazFx

Banned
Nov 13, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.youtube.com
Good to see a thread about broker selection. Equally as important as a good trading strategy! As you point out, Realtrendfollower, bonuses can blur the vision just when you need clear vision the most. Forget bonuses. Ask: Is the broker regulated by a credible regulatory authority? Are client funds segregated and held in trust accounts with reputable banking institutions, and are those banks local or offshore? What do clients say about the broker at Earn Forex, Forex Peace Army, and other client feedback and rating sites? And yes, the "negative balance policy" must be fully understand, which means you do actually need to read the brokers' trading terms and conditions!

As both Realtrendfollower and devis77 highlight, and I can attest to having suffered a $1,400 loss the day the Swiss decided to re-float the Franc, even big name brokers can go down, so be careful who you get in bed with! Only when these core questions have been answered positively should you move on to things like spreads and commissions, bonuses, payment methods, platforms, and so on.

milornld

Trader
Aug 27, 2018
new york
Before choosing any Forex broker,check these tips

- Check Full Account Details and Trading Platform
- Currency Pairs Offered
- Customer Service
- Check the provide high level of security
- Transaction Costs
- Deposit and Withdrawal
- User Reviews
- Trading Features and Specifications
- Forex Bonuses and Promotions

• 👍
Reactions: profxindicators

harryfibo

Nov 28, 2018
I have been asking about the $100 no deposit bonus from Forexchief. I am trading with the broker now and all seems well. My question now is: are all brokers that offer bonuses bad? How do I know which broker segregates client fund?

If client accounts are segregated, does that mean traders will get their money back if broker folds up? I have not read about any scenario where traders got money back.

Eddie Igr

Dec 18, 2018
Regarding the negative balance I can tell you that my broker Deltastock didn't ask me to cover the negative balance when the Swiss National Bank suddenly announced that it would no longer hold the Swiss franc at a fixed exchange rate with the euro. I heard they have another subsidiary company regulated by the FCA which is DF Markets. I share the name of the broker because I am really happy that I am not in debt now :)
They have a subsidiary under a different name? Did you check both company names?

DT77

Active Trader
Feb 24, 2019
Just do your homework and make sure the one you choose comes recomended from someone you know. Stay away from ones offering bonuses etc...

igor707

Feb 20, 2019
Doing some own research is required while broker selection and bonuses may not be the aspects while considering brokers.

Zack King

Active Trader
Mar 4, 2019
These days there is lots of competition between brokers. Enticing newbies with all kinds of bonuses.
Do not be blinded by these kind of bonuses.
Some things to look at when selecting a good broker.
It is good if they are FCA regulated.
Enquire about their "negative balance policies" - last year we experienced a "black swan" event, some better brokers forgave the trader negative balances, others insisted on them being paid back (you agreed that losses may exceed your initial deposit) A few big names had to close up shop after the "swiss bank fiasco" last year and after that a whole lot mushroomed up again, only to be forced to close their doors again after the next black swan.
There are other things to take into consideration like spread and commission.
Do a bit of research first. forexpeacearmy dot com has reviews on almost all brokers.

agreed. i was always told to stay away from deposit bonus offering brokers. if it seems too good to be true, usually is..

Uaredaty

Active Trader
Jan 19, 2019
Broker research and check needs to be done as there are few brokers that are scam and some brokers that will not be able to fully support your strategy. Start with list of legitimate brokers and then go through terms and conditions of service and services offered

• 👍
Reactions: Zack King
Feb 10, 2019
Before choosing any Forex broker,check these tips

- Check Full Account Details and Trading Platform
- Currency Pairs Offered
- Customer Service
- Check the provide high level of security
- Transaction Costs
- Deposit and Withdrawal
- User Reviews
- Trading Features and Specifications
- Forex Bonuses and Promotions
A decent tick list here! User reviews are paramount

Zack King

Active Trader
Mar 4, 2019
interesting thread as Im a newbie and a bit worried about choosing a broker :( dont wanna get burnt
the best thing i can say is do your own research, check out the reviews on forums etc before signing up and ALWAYS trade with their demo for a few months prior to committing to a live account

Zack King

Active Trader
Mar 4, 2019
Broker research and check needs to be done as there are few brokers that are scam and some brokers that will not be able to fully support your strategy. Start with list of legitimate brokers and then go through terms and conditions of service and services offered
yes this and also check reviews on review sites. but take this with a pinch of salt cos all brokers seem to have both positive and negative reviews- make your own judgement as to what trading conditions are good for YOU.

• 👍
Reactions: Helloyees

Helloyees

Trader
Mar 8, 2019
You should be carefull with bonuses and promotions, sometimes they are so big in requirements that you really need to be very successfull in order to make that payout to get them. And you maybe even in loose after you got that bonuses;) So keep in mind.

• 👍
Reactions: Zack King

Zack King

Active Trader
Mar 4, 2019
You should be careful with bonuses and promotions, sometimes they are so big in requirements that you really need to be very successful in order to make that payout to get them. And you maybe even in loose after you got that bonuses;) So keep in mind.

i agree here ENTIRELY. stay away from deposit bonus brokers... i have used them many years ago when i was anew trader and lets just say, it never ended well. they make the terms and conditions so tight that it is almost impossible to withdraw any profits made, because it is hard to even reach the goal profit they expect anyway. stay away, and stick with an ECN broker.