Volatility - Trending Trades & Stop Losses

I

I-Forex

In my previous strategy I was using the Fibonacci indicator to measure drawbacks when riding a trend to prevent loss of profits already gained and re-entering a trending trade. I also found that the average drawback range hovered between the 38.2% and the 61.8% mark (50% average). I kept my Stop Losses at a safe distance, I found that number of time the "swings" would attain my Stop Losses were rare in general.

When I started observing volatility on various time frames, I discovered that I could easily improve the accuracy of setting a safe stop loss by measuring the actual volatility of the currency pair. I studied this for a while and noticed that it is actually a very common practice for many traders when measuring the drawbacks. Some use a percentage to calculate the volatility others take the highest or average volatility. I use the average measure to re-enter a trending trade, I have however ceased using a Stop Loss (adjusted my risk management chart accordingly). I'd be curious to hear from other traders using this or similar strategies and if they use stop losses

Michelle Yeoh

Trader
Jul 9, 2017
I sometimes use ATR to set volatility-based stop-losses. More commonly though, my stop-losses are based on the nearest support/resistance levels.

Same here! Means, I also set my stop loss and take profit levels based on support and resistant levels! I see, the market always respect higher time frames support and resistance levels.

I

I-Forex

Same here! Means, I also set my stop loss and take profit levels based on support and resistant levels! I see, the market always respect higher time frames support and resistance levels.
- 100% agree with you that the strongest SR levels are higher timeframes, does your strategy manage TP's as well?

I

I-Forex

I sometimes use ATR to set volatility-based stop-losses. More commonly though, my stop-losses are based on the nearest support/resistance levels.
Makes sense, once your SL are set, do you manage drawbacks or let the trade run it's course?

Michelle Yeoh

Trader
Jul 9, 2017
- 100% agree with you that the strongest SR levels are higher timeframes, does your strategy manage TP's as well?

Yes, in my trading I use only support/resistance level for identifying my SL and TP levels! Same strategy for both of them! In addition, I am quite satisfied with it.

lucacrebbe

Active Trader
Jun 26, 2017

sorry how can you use the ATR to set stop losses? I mean it's an ''oscillator'' how can yu put stop losses using it? I mean pratically cause I can figure it out (sorry I am noob)

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
sorry how can you use the ATR to set stop losses? I mean it's an ''oscillator'' how can yu put stop losses using it? I mean pratically cause I can figure it out (sorry I am noob)
ATR is a short for Average True Range. Its value shows how on average the price fluctuates during a period. So, if I set my stop-loss to entry minus ATR(20) times 3, it will be taken out only if the price fluctuates farther than 3 average values, which is a strong movement. This results in a sort of a volatility stop-loss.

• 👍
Reactions: Jajaofopobo

Ary Barroso

Active Trader
Jul 9, 2017

Same here; I also consider the support/resistant as my major to set any SL/TP. It helps me a lot.