Sunday Open Strategy

lgnl

Jul 1, 2015
Hi all.

Here's the plan. If you haven't noticed at the Sunday open on EVERY currency pair, price almost always moves in one direction without ever going the other way. For example, if on the EUR/USD the Friday close was 1.1050, price will almost always (about 85-90% of the time) move up or down WITHOUT going both ways. Because of this, you can set your stop loss at .1 pips which is EXTREMELY small. Also, you close out your position after one candlestick has been formed on the 15 minute chart, so 15 minutes after the Sunday open. Average moves in those 15 minutes are about 10 or so pips, and as low as 4 and as high as about 80. Since the risk is so small, you can apply huge amounts of leverage. If you're not in the U.S., I'd say you should go as high as 500:1, since you will only be risking 1% of your account at that huge level of leverage. The key to this system is that these one directional moves ACTUALLY do happen a lot, just pull up a chart and see for yourself. However, there is one problem-spreads. Since at the Sunday open spreads can be so high that this strategy is essentially nullifed, one would have to find a forex broker that only charges commissions for a trade. If someone knows of such a thing, please tell me. If not, one would have to start their own Forex brokerage firm JUST for themselves (lol). But honestly, with the amount of money that can be earned from this it would be worth it. As a matter of fact, I am looking into it.

Please respond with any suggestions you may have for such a plan.

Thank you for your time guys.

Logan

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Interesting idea, but let's get to the details.

If you haven't noticed at the Sunday open on EVERY currency pair, price almost always moves in one direction without ever going the other way. For example, if on the EUR/USD the Friday close was 1.1050, price will almost always (about 85-90% of the time) move up or down WITHOUT going both ways. Because of this, you can set your stop loss at .1 pips which is EXTREMELY small.

First, I assume you suggest opening a trade on Sunday opening, not on Friday close, so this is not a gap trading strategy, right?

Second, 0.1 pip stop-loss is not possible, but a stop-loss of about 5-10 pips is possible unless the broker is not increasing its STOPS_LEVEL during early Monday session, which they often do.

Since the risk is so small, you can apply huge amounts of leverage. If you're not in the U.S., I'd say you should go as high as 500:1, since you will only be risking 1% of your account at that huge level of leverage.

Sorry, but this does not make sense at all. If you are risking 1% of your account, what does it matter which leverage do you use? However, I understand your point that one can trade with bigger positions with such a tight stop-loss here.

The key to this system is that these one directional moves ACTUALLY do happen a lot, just pull up a chart and see for yourself.

The right thing to do is to perform some automatic backtests of this strategy, or at least a study of those first Sunday bars' price action. Did you do it?

However, there is one problem-spreads. Since at the Sunday open spreads can be so high that this strategy is essentially nullifed, one would have to find a forex broker that only charges commissions for a trade. If someone knows of such a thing, please tell me.

Yes, there are brokers without spreads - I posted a list recently. Other problems include: slippage, STOPS_LEVEL, lack of execution (some brokers may feed prices, but forbid trading).