Need help to understand this please

Michael-M

Trader
May 8, 2020
I need some advice for the below code if you please,

Period_MA is an external variable and I set it to 20, but when I am testing my code by changing
MQL4:
for(x=i; x<i+Period_MA; x++)
to
MQL4:
for(x=i; x<=i+Period_MA; x++)
the moving average disappear from the chart
MQL4:
   int Counted_Bars = IndicatorCounted();
   int Uncounted_Bars = Bars - Counted_Bars;
   Uncounted_Bars++;

for(int i=0; i<=Uncounted_Bars; i++)
     {
      double Total = 0;
         for(x=i; x<i+Period_MA; x++)
           {
            Total = Total + iClose(NULL,0,x);
           }

Closing_Price_Array[i] = Total / Period_MA;
     }
Noting that when I add the equal sign to the previously stated line of code , I get the moving average to widen like below, so I just need to know how it was calculated just by adding an equal sign so that will be the outcome

Thank you
1619191356601.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
You need to set the code language to MQL4/MQL5 for it to display without issues.

Why do you use iClose instead of Close? The latter is much faster.

I don't know why you are experiencing this issue, but if you shared the .mq4 file, I could probably check it.

Michael-M

Trader
May 8, 2020
Here is the Mq4 file

And thank you so much for your support, next time I will choose the language while I insert the code

Attachments

• Moving Average Manually constructed.mq4
    2.3 KB · Views: 4

Michael-M

Trader
May 8, 2020
just incase the code should be
MQL4:
for(x=i;x<i+Period_MA; x++)
But I am trying to understand how an equal sign could make that difference, how it has been calculated

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
When you use the "strict less" (<), the moving average doesn't disappear - it tracks the Close price rather closely. When you change it to "less or equal" (<=), the MA gets moved up because your sum (Total) increases by one more Close value but you continue to divide it by the unchanged Period_MA. For example, if Period_MA = 11, you sum 12 values of Close and then divide it by 11.

Michael-M

Trader
May 8, 2020
When you use the "strict less" (<), the moving average doesn't disappear - it tracks the Close price rather closely. When you change it to "less or equal" (<=), the MA gets moved up because your sum (Total) increases by one more Close value but you continue to divide it by the unchanged Period_MA. For example, if Period_MA = 11, you sum 12 values of Close and then divide it by 11.
Yes, you are right but isn't the variance that this one candle has affected the moving average huge!