How many hours per day to you trade?

Rambo35

Confirmed PaxForex Representative
Apr 22, 2013
Canada
Different traders, different strategies and a different trading ideology all influence the amount of time we all spend analyzing the markets and trading them. I know there are traders who spend eight hours and more per day trading while others may spend eight hours per week in front of the markets.

I think a lot of especially new traders think they have to base their entire day on analyzing charts, following news and be alert 24/7.

How much do you trade? Do you control your trading or does your trading control you?

hayseed

Master Trader
Jul 27, 2010
usa
hours

hey rambo..... my answer might be of low value due to being a ea trader.... it would be hard for me to believe i spent , collectively, over 2 hours an entire week lookin at charts......

several times a day i will glance at a chart if an alert goes off.... this is more out of curiosity..... ea's running will take care of the trading part..... i use multi monitor setups but thier just for convenience......

might spend 2 hours a day on news or skiming specific sites....

if the markets are open, the computers are running and ea's are takin care of business...... odds are i'll be out back at the sawmill......h

Rambo35

Apr 22, 2013
Canada
Alright, sounds good. As long as your ea's do what you like and the results are good there is nothing wrong with that.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Anywhere from 2 - 6 hrs a day, usually check the markets before the open and close and check out the early trends.

Rambo35

Apr 22, 2013
Canada
I have started with 8 hours per day, but have been scaling down to around 4 hours.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
It all comes down to what strategy you are using at the moment - scalpers need to say glued to the laptop for obvious reasons where as those trading on fundamentals walk away after placing a trade..it also depends on the kind of trader you are, the worry wart where you need to know how the market is reacting every minute or the sort that is confident about the strategy used etc.

Rambo35

Apr 22, 2013
Canada
Yes, I agree with you Fxpipper.

hassans

Trader
Jun 21, 2013
Different traders, different strategies and a different trading ideology all influence the amount of time we all spend analyzing the markets and trading them. I know there are traders who spend eight hours and more per day trading while others may spend eight hours per week in front of the markets.

I think a lot of especially new traders think they have to base their entire day on analyzing charts, following news and be alert 24/7.

How much do you trade? Do you control your trading or does your trading control you?

my dear friend i spend the time for forex six hour in a day and learn forex through earn forum and make money day to day

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
@dragon, it really comes down to how effectively you use the time, irrespective of whether it is 1 hr a day or 10 hrs a day. A successful trader would not need to spend hours in front of the screen to make some pips..so would not worry too much about the 4 hr tag, as long as your trading is coming along great..
One hr, two hrs or even the whole frigging day may not make a difference if a trader does not apply what he learned effectively..good luck!

tabalo

Confirmed HotForex Representative
Feb 20, 2013
I spent about 1-2 hours a day for trading. I do often move on forums to get some information for my trade. Then find entry/exist point, finally, watch my trades to respond.

Rambo35

Apr 22, 2013
Canada
@dragon, it really comes down to how effectively you use the time, irrespective of whether it is 1 hr a day or 10 hrs a day. A successful trader would not need to spend hours in front of the screen to make some pips..so would not worry too much about the 4 hr tag, as long as your trading is coming along great..
One hr, two hrs or even the whole frigging day may not make a difference if a trader does not apply what he learned effectively..good luck!

Totally agree with you on that.

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
I think once you become familiar with your strategy it's possible to translate that into efficiency in terms of time spent trading.

With some practice it's possible to recognise the type of set up you like to trade and you can develop almost an expectation as to how it should play out, if successful. If the market behaves as you expect you should be in front of the screen making the most of it. If the market is not behaving as you might like, perhaps it is very quiet or even too volatile, you can spend your time away from the screen getting on other things.

donya

Trader
Jun 27, 2013
you can develop almost an expectation as to how it should play out, if successful. If the market behaves as you expect effectively you use the time, irrespective of whether it is . A successful trader would not need to spend hours in front of the screen to make some pips

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
same as you. I don't stay all time facing computer.
keep relax, sometimes I can gain more.

Exactly - I genuinely think that there could be an inverse correlation between hours spent in front of the screen and profit.

More hours ≠ more profit

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to walk away :D