Win 7 to 10 How did Mt4 handle it Any data loss or things of that nature Anything to look out for

Longing

Trader
Jul 7, 2018
Hello, well it's coming to that time and I dreading the changeover to 10.....don't like it but what am I to do.

Anyways, I've been particularly concerned with mt4 settings and such. Particularly all my line plottings. Will I lose them in the transfer or will they stay? Anything else get effected adversely in the process regarding mt4? Please share your experiences. Thanks

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
There is nothing to fear here, you can backup all the profiles you use from all the installations of MetaTrader (4 and 5) you use and then move them over to new OS and platforms if they don't survive the upgrade. You can learn how to copy profiles from platform to platform from this tutorial:
https://www.earnforex.com/blog/copying-metatrader-chart-settings-tutorial/
Also, you might want to backup your indicators/EAs/scripts by copying MQL4 (or MQL5 if you are on MT5) folder somewhere safe before the OS upgrade.

Longing

Trader
Jul 7, 2018
Thanks for the replies, it took a while but was pretty ease. I do have to say that I'm pretty disappointed with 10. Right from the beginning it shows the privacy settings I already knew I was in trouble. There are so many things wrong with it.

It did lose all my MT4 passwords.

Longing

Trader
Jul 7, 2018
I ultimately reverted back to 7- it gives you the option only for ten days. I was pretty disappointed and was having wifi connection problems for some reason after the second or third update. Without going into too much detail, 10 needs a lot of work. You can easily tell that msft went all out to monetize the userbase for their stock price and the intellectual property list. Pretty lame.

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
It did lose all my MT4 passwords.
Yeah, that can be a problem. Also, when you apply big updates to Windows 10, sometimes the remembered passwords in MT4 get lost. With live accounts, it is often easy to recover them, but with some demo accounts it is impossible and that's a way to lose some important forward-testing statistics. I am speaking from my own experience here.