Trading forex with hedging

GazFx

Banned
Nov 13, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.youtube.com
There are "for" and "against" arguments here, and some that seem more informed than others. In my opinion, hedging has one purpose only, and that is to limit risk, which is useful in certain types of correlation trading. For instance, if I buy the AUDUSD I will also sell the NZDUSD, because of the approximate 80% positive correlation between these two pairs. But this assumes, of course, that the AUD is stronger against the USD than the NZD, providing greater upside potential for the AUD than the NZD, allowing me to reach my AUD profit target before the NZD catches up. If, however, prices crash, the NZD is likely to fall faster and further than the AUD due to it being the weaker of the pair, so losses on my AUD trade are partly or even fully offset by profits on the NZD...a win/win outcome!

My correlation hedge strategy is really quite simple. I find two positively correlated pairs that are nearest an 80% coefficient, and then assess which pair is strong, and which is weak. I buy strength and sell weakness, so if prices rise the strong pair will tend to rise faster and further than the weak pair, but if prices fall the weak pair will tend to fall faster and further than the strong pair. If I set my profit target at, say, 40 pips on either side of the hedge, this is what might happen: (1) Prices rise and my strong (buy) pair hit the 40 pip target, whilst the weak (sell) pair loses, say, 30 pips, for a 10 pip net gain, or (2) prices fall and my strong (buy) pair loses 30 pips, whilst my weak (sell) pair hit the 40 pip target, for a 10 pip net gain. There are no guarantees, of course, but you get the idea.

The trick is to find a reliable way to determine strength and weakness, and there are several ways to do this:

(1) Interest Rate Differentials: Until recently, Australian Official Interest Rates were significantly higher than US rates and their New Zealand counterparts, with demand for the AUD creating strength. The strategy was to buy the AUD and sell the NZD. Today, however, NZ interest rates are higher than US and Australian rates, so strength is now with the NZD. The strategy is to buy the NZD and sell the AUD.

(2) Rally/Retrace Pip Measurement: By measuring the number of pips in the most recent rallies and retraces in a pair, we can identify strength and weakness. If one pair rallies by, say, 200 pips and retraces by, say, 50 pips, whilst the other rallies by, say, 150 pips and retraces by, say, 100 pips, the first pair is stronger than the other. The strategy is to buy strength and sell weakness.

(3) Overbought/Oversold Analysis: Using an oscillator, like MACD, Stochastic, or Williams % R, can quickly establish overbought/oversold situations. The oversold pair has more upside potential than downside, so is considered strong. The overbought pair has more downside potential than up,so is considered weak. Again, the strategy is to buy strength and sell weakness.

Keep in mind that a strong pair need not necessarily rise, or a weak pair fall, for this type of strategy to yield profits. As long as one moves faster and further than the other, then there is profit potential...regardless of which way prices eventually move. Again, there are no guarantees, but you can at least stack the odds in your favour.

Finally, I see the use of 5-min and 15-min timeframes here and elsewhere, which are simply too short for meaningful correlation hedge analysis. You just won't get the accuracy needed for consistent profitability. I use weekly correlation coefficients calculated over a 50 week period, whilst trading and applying my strength/weakness analysis to the H1 timeframe. Here's some recent results:

Report.gif

Month of September 2016 - Pepperstone

IC_Report.png

First week October 2016 - IC Markets

mai joe

Oct 3, 2016
I have come across many traders who use the hedging concept in their day to day trading, but frankly speaking never understood the underlying reasons for hedging.

What those traders says to me that first they hedge the position if their trade start making the losses and once the new hedged position start making profit then they would close that profitable position and then the market rebounds and they start recovering losses in their actual or initial position.

But com-on to work this above trade, one you need the exact timing when would the market reverses or rebounds, which I believe very tough to estimate (if someone is that efficient enough then he would not have the problem of hedging at first place).

I believe the only reason many traders get involved in hedging to maintain the balance, as hedged positions wouldn’t lower down the balance however closing the position would lead to lower balance.

I am more inclined to stop loss and you get of the position when you see that trend is not in your favor.

Kizmi Khan

Trader
Oct 14, 2016
India
A lot of people think of hedging as a profit making strategy. But it is wrong! This strategy is actually for covering loss. And new comers must not try to use it. It needs practice.

GazFx

Banned
Nov 13, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.youtube.com
mai_joe and Kizmi_Khan: You are talking about simultaneously buying and selling the same currency pair, which is not a hedge at all. It is someone's idea of risk management, but it is not hedging. A hedge is not created to cover losses, and it does not allow single pair trading. A hedge does not allow the simultaneous buying and selling of the same currency pair...not in my world at least. A true hedge provides two-way profit opportunity, plus a buffer against risk. Hedging two positively correlated currency pairs is a profitable strategy.

Alexfx79

Active Trader
Sep 22, 2016
Berlin
I don't think that hedging is a perfect way to avoid losses. It's hard to close hedged positions and as a result one can lose more that he expected

nikita sharma

Trader
Oct 27, 2016
It allows you to keep your trade on the market and make money with a second trade that makes profit and so helps you to limit risk.

f4forex

Active Trader
Oct 8, 2015
I guess we can also diversify our trading investment to different avenues in order to hedge our funds against our trades. Some of the common methods are investing in PAMM accounts, mutual funds, stocks, binary options etc.

Ary Barroso

Active Trader
Jul 9, 2017
Well; I tried almost all of the trading styles in my trading instead of hedging in my live trading account. Because, my trading personality is not suitable with this trading style.

mandy828

Jul 9, 2019
Biggest advantage- Consistent returns (when done correctly)
Biggest downside of hedging – Low returns per month so you need fairly big accounts or trade for investors of you want to trade it full time.

Adam Jackson

Trader
Jun 15, 2019
This world platform of forex is becoming popular. But before a trader can start with the real money he must be aware of the riskiness connected with it. And we can’t ignore the importance of working with various risk administration tools in the desire to achieve a less risky market return. With the help of hedging, in fact, risk adverse traders can try to earn money by keeping the whole money in safe methods.