Software for back testing

J_C_Anderson

Trader
Aug 15, 2018
Hi,

Please, share you experience with special backtesting software that gives possibility to test using historical data. Demo testing seems to be too time-consuming, so it is an idea to lool for another approach.

There is not so much information related to backtesting. The main point of interest is how to enter the rules of the strategy into the software, to "explain" it what do you need?

Let`s collect here the whole information related to backtesting to make the guide for anyone interested.

Ary Barroso

Active Trader
Jul 9, 2017
In my opinion, the best way to backtest is MT4 and MT5 platforms. However, if you are new to coding, TradingView PineScript would probably an easier option.

Yes, I see back testing option is available in Mt4; but it provides limited service!

J_C_Anderson

Trader
Aug 15, 2018
As far I know, multiple charts are available in extendend (full) version of Tradingview. Now they even block the possibility to open several browser windows with the charts.
The support of multiple charts mode also stated in Forex Tester (as they promote it as one of the most important features, it seems to be realy rare thing).

Is it necessary to instal some additional apps to backtest using the MT platforms? Could it influence the stability causing some bugs?

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Like; if I’m testing on D1 chart, then I can’t check the H4 time frame at the same times; & many more.

Actually, MT4 Strategy Tester fully supports multi-timeframe EAs. What it does not support is multi-symbol EAs.

Is it necessary to instal some additional apps to backtest using the MT platforms? Could it influence the stability causing some bugs?

No, MT4 and MT5 have their built-in Strategy Testers.

J_C_Anderson

Trader
Aug 15, 2018
If it does not support multi-symbol EAs, it is impossible to test correlation-based strategies?

It would be interesting to try these built-in Testers.

Ary Barroso

Active Trader
Jul 9, 2017
Actually, MT4 Strategy Tester fully supports multi-timeframe EAs. What it does not support is multi-symbol EAs.

No, MT4 and MT5 have their built-in Strategy Testers.

Actually, I didn’t try with any kind of EA, I tried for manual trading.

J_C_Anderson

Trader
Aug 15, 2018
By the way, what is the general vision on EAs based on indicators only?

For example, the strategy can use several indicators for each order (e.g. RSI + SMA)

Ary Barroso

Active Trader
Jul 9, 2017
By the way, what is the general vision on EAs based on indicators only?

For example, the strategy can use several indicators for each order (e.g. RSI + SMA)

I don’t think, this kind of EA’s can make money; because Forex is not only about trading indicators based trading.

reecerispoli1

Trader
Sep 22, 2020
Hi,

Please, share you experience with special backtesting software that gives possibility to test using historical data. Demo testing seems to be too time-consuming, so it is an idea to lool for another approach.

There is not so much information related to backtesting. The main point of interest is how to enter the rules of the strategy into the software, to "explain" it what do you need?

Let`s collect here the whole information related to backtesting to make the guide for anyone interested.
best way to backtest is MT4 and MT5 platforms

JoshEvansFX

Trader
Jul 7, 2021
Hi,

I believe that SOFT4X is pretty decent back testing software if you are still looking for some.