Is this a really secret of Stock Market.

mark04

Active Trader
Oct 12, 2009
Dear Fellow Traders,

Everyone related to Stock Market is always focused on the goal of how much they can make buying/selling a stock, they forget to concern themselves with how much they risk loosing. Is it true that “The secret to great wealth in the stock market, is not big gains; its small losses”

Is this a strategy of keeping losses small? If we will win only 1 out of 3 times with our losers loosing 5% and our winners gaining 25% we can make extremely large profits. That’s do the math assuming that there is only 1 out of 3 winners. So if we make 9 trades of USD10,000 each in one month it means we will loose money on 6 and make money only 3. the 6 losers will cost us USD3000 (6*5% loss on each of USD 10,000 Trades) and the 3 winners will net us USD7500 (3*25% gain on each of USD 10,000 Trades) for a profit of USD 4,500

Regards
Mark

Bernardcraig20

Active Trader
Dec 22, 2009
Knowing the current situation of the stock market is crucial especially if you have stocks invested in it. It is better to be up to dated to the situations so that you could know the actions to be taken if some changes in the stock market occur as to secure your stocks to lose. Today, the stock market is unstable so we need to be vigilant to the current market conditions.

BellaVega

Active Trader
Sep 15, 2010
I don't know if I entirely agree with your thinking. If you can pick a stock that will gain 25%, then you shouldn't be only winning 1 out of 3 times. Although I guess you could set up your system to sell when they drop 5% so you don't lose you whole investment and sell at 10% or higher. I think the secret is to not only buy stocks that you think will gain but short the stocks that you think will tank.

marrabel

Banned
Oct 28, 2010
The less you lose the more you earn. Getting the good results when following the right strategy is a good situation of trading.

DonnaMag

Trader
May 15, 2011
Hi Mark! Money management is probably the most important issue in trading. A trader's basic statistic should be more than 50% of winnings. However, it is impossible to earn money even if the ratio is 1 win to 2 losses, or even worse than that. The secret is to cut losses as fast as you can, while letting your winner "breath" as much as possible. In that case, if I had 3 losses of 20 cents (total of 60 cents) and one win of $1, then I am profitable in the end of the day. However, one should intend to win as many trades as he can. An experienced trader knows how much he takes or losses on average and he tries to maintain a positive statistic.
Good Luck and Happy Trading :)

jamesondavis

Nov 30, 2021
Totally agree with you take trades exit on small losses and trail you stop loss if already in profit this at the end you'll be in profit even more times you loose small amount of money. Small loses but profit bigger is the only secret behind a successful trader.