5pips+ Spread spike??

wanorbit

Master Trader
Oct 11, 2010
i noticed around 9:20pm UK time there was a spike in spread of pairs, roughly about 5pips+, anybody know what happenned to cause that 5pip+ spread spike around that time?

wanorbit

Master Trader
Oct 11, 2010
Spread widening at 9:20 PM UK time would be strange, but spread widening at around 9:00 PM UK time is normal because it coincides with New York close and Forex rollover fees application.
it was around that time, first time i have noticed such a spike, thanks

wanorbit

Master Trader
Oct 11, 2010
Spread widening at 9:20 PM UK time would be strange, but spread widening at around 9:00 PM UK time is normal because it coincides with New York close and Forex rollover fees application.
has the forex opening times changed because of the season as i am getting caught out in spreads? is the table below correct to opening and closing times? can you tell me for asian sessions as well?

RegionOpen and Close Times
London Open7 AM
London Close4 PM
NY Open12 PM
NY Close9 PM

sunar14

Banned
Jan 17, 2021
i noticed around 9:20pm UK time there was a spike in spread of pairs, roughly about 5pips+, anybody know what happenned to cause that 5pip+ spread spike around that time?
in Which pairs. Sometimes it happens but if it happens to often you should move to other place for trading. Good brokers should manage their liquidity sources properly to maximise time of getting top-grade conditions for its clients.

wanorbit

Master Trader
Oct 11, 2010
in Which pairs. Sometimes it happens but if it happens to often you should move to other place for trading. Good brokers should manage their liquidity sources properly to maximise time of getting top-grade conditions for its clients.

happened on GBP/USD yesterday and today 9:00pm UK time, spread went 10pips + , then market closed for 10pm UK time to further restart another 5 - 10pips spread, this has been happening since tuesday, never encountered that ever since?

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
has the forex opening times changed because of the season as i am getting caught out in spreads? is the table below correct to opening and closing times? can you tell me for asian sessions as well?

RegionOpen and Close Times
London Open7 AM
London Close4 PM
NY Open12 PM
NY Close9 PM
US time switched to daylight saving this Sunday (March 14). I cannot tell you anything about your table as I don't know what timezone those times are.

hayseed

Master Trader
Jul 27, 2010
usa
happened on GBP/USD yesterday and today 9:00pm UK time, spread went 10pips + , then market closed for 10pm UK time to further restart another 5 - 10pips spread, this has been happening since tuesday, never encountered that ever since?
//---

odds are it has something to do with the new york being on daylight savings time while much of the world has yet to switch..... there is a 2 week window where the phase out of banks/liquidity causes spread increases at unusual times.....

once all countries get their time aligned, things return to normal..... or least as normal as normal that is..... h

wanorbit

Master Trader
Oct 11, 2010
//---

odds are it has something to do with the new york being on daylight savings time while much of the world has yet to switch..... there is a 2 week window where the phase out of banks/liquidity causes spread increases at unusual times.....

once all countries get their time aligned, things return to normal..... or least as normal as normal that is..... h
so it should take about 2 weeks? its very daunting becos i get a spike in spread at 9pm UK time and 10pm UK time when usa market closes, dis just started last week

wanorbit

Master Trader
Oct 11, 2010
i checked out Roboforex and ICI markets on friday 9pm UK time and both companies had the same issue at that time

wanorbit

Master Trader
Oct 11, 2010

Why are the spreads higher after 11pm server time, then 12 midnite server time NY market closes and opens with another higher spread? that 2 hours of spread widening? what is going on at 11pm server time???

hayseed

Master Trader
Jul 27, 2010
usa
so it should take about 2 weeks? its very daunting becos i get a spike in spread at 9pm UK time and 10pm UK time when usa market closes, dis just started last week
it will take about 2 weeks before the times align... the normal spread increase following the first hour after the new york close, 5pm est to 6pn est, will stay.....

right now, 5:53 pm eastern standard time, the spread is 20 pips on the gbpnzd, 5 pips on the eurusd and the other pairs are similar.... high....

i always figure the spread will increase 4 times normal on every pair minimum for 60 minutes following the ny close.....h

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Why are the spreads higher after 11pm server time, then 12 midnite server time NY market closes and opens with another higher spread? that 2 hours of spread widening? what is going on at 11pm server time???
Spreads can widen for lots of reasons. The 5 PM (NY time) is just one of them. During other times, spreads may widen due to unexpected market news or problems with liquidity at your broker.

sunar14

Banned
Jan 17, 2021
It's hard to pin down spread issue to some event, however if you see this in other 1-2 platforms, then it's acceptable.