Trading Psychology - Mental State, Emotions and Lessons

TradeYourEdge

Trader
Nov 6, 2012
www.tradeyouredge.com
Successful and unsuccessful Traders cannot explain why they excel or fail. Sure, they can discuss the technical know-how behind their trades but that’s really it. Many of them don’t realise that a person’s Mental State and Psychology are 80% of the reasons while only 20% relates to technical knowledge.

On top of that, traders are required to have Discipline, a rock solid Risk Strategy and sound knowledge of Technical Analysis. All these emphasis will be re-iterated throughout our site and workshops.

I will be posting articles here, hopefully readers can benefit from it.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Please do and yes, psychology does play a big part in whether you're successful in trading or not. The problem lies more in the myth that making $$$$ in this market is easy and that's one big reason why so many newbies fail. They do not have the discipline and do not make any effort to learn..

TradeYourEdge

Trader
Nov 6, 2012
www.tradeyouredge.com
Please do and yes, psychology does play a big part in whether you're successful in trading or not. The problem lies more in the myth that making $$$$ in this market is easy and that's one big reason why so many newbies fail. They do not have the discipline and do not make any effort to learn..
Spot on dude!!

TradeYourEdge

Trader
Nov 6, 2012
www.tradeyouredge.com
“What advice would you give to a novice trader?” by Jack D Schwager

This was taken from the book “The New Market Wizards”, it’s one of the questions posted by Jack D Schwager to Gil Blake. And this was his answer:

“There are five basic steps to becoming a successful trader.

First, focus on trading vehicles, strategies, and time horizons that suit your personality.
Second, identify non-random price behaviour, while recognizing that markets are random most of the time.
Third, absolutely convince yourself that what you have found is statistically valid.
Fourth, set up trading rules.
Fifth, follow the rules. In a nutshell, it all comes down to: Do your own thing (independence); and do the right thing (discipline).”
Awesome advise.

Forexstarboy

Trader
Nov 7, 2012
Every one should understand that self discipline and mental health are mandatory rule when trader start his trading. If one of the above is missing so the loss of money will come really fast.

TradeYourEdge

Trader
Nov 6, 2012
www.tradeyouredge.com
21 Ways Rich People Think Differently

1. Average people think MONEY is the root of all evil. Rich people believe POVERTY is the root of all evil.

2. Average people think selfishness is a vice. Rich people think selfishness is a virtue.

3. Average people have a lottery mentality. Rich people have an action mentality.

4. Average people think the road to riches is paved with formal education. Rich people believe in acquiring specific knowledge.

5. Average people long for the good old days. Rich people dream of the future.

6. Average people see money through the eyes of emotion. Rich people think about money logically.

7. Average people earn money doing things they don't love. Rich people follow their passion.

8. Average people set low expectations so they're never disappointed. Rich people are up for the challenge.

9. Average people believe you have to DO something to get rich. Rich people believe you have to BE something to get rich.

10. Average people believe you need money to make money. Rich people use other people's money.

11. Average people believe the markets are driven by logic and strategy. Rich people know they're driven by emotion and greed.

12. Average people live beyond their means. Rich people live below theirs.

13. Average people teach their children how to survive. Rich people teach their kids to get rich.

14. Average people let money stress them out. Rich people find peace of mind in wealth.

15. Average people would rather be entertained than educated. Rich people would rather be educated than entertained.

16. Average people think rich people are snobs. Rich people just want to surround themselves with like-minded people.

17. Average people focus on saving. Rich people focus on earning.
18. Average people play it safe with money. Rich people know when to take risks.

19. Average people love to be comfortable. Rich people find comfort in uncertainty.

20. Average people never make the connection between money and health. Rich people know money can save your life.

21. Average people believe they must choose between a great family and being rich. Rich people know you can have it all.

By Steve Siebold

ShevvyFX

Trader
Oct 29, 2012
Trading psychology is just a crock, in fact I would go so far as to say it's simply an excuse used by traders to self justification as to why they losers.

Boo-hoo, I didn't win today cos I was not feeling happy, my astral signs didn't line up and I'm having a male period.

All you need a profitable system and to employ a strict trading plan then it doesn't matter whether you're happy, sad or anywhere in between you've as much chance as the next to win.

TradeYourEdge

Trader
Nov 6, 2012
www.tradeyouredge.com
The 4Rs to Overcome the Fear of Losing

Do you have a well developed and profitable strategy? And you’ve backtested the strategy with sufficient sample size and it has rules that suits your personality? Yet, you’re still struggling to implement the rules on a consistent basis? Is that because of Fear?

If yes, then please read on.

Unfortunately, like me, one of my weaknesses is actually “FEAR” of Losing. And I’m constantly held back by the issues relating to Recency Bias, thus, struggling to take the next trade (which often turns out to be a winning trade). Yes, it’s sadly true. Like it or not, this is just part of being a normal Human Being and having emotions attached to us.

I'm one of 'them' who spends all my time (well, not all but majority of it) on finding the ultimate, the best and the perfect strategy. Worst still, I know and I preach to others that there’s no such thing as the ‘Holy Grail’. All strategies, if developed in the correct manner, will work… Period!

So today, we’re going to be talking about ways to overcome those fears.

If you’re like me and you’re constantly worried about losing (even after doing sufficient homework on identifying your Edge), then here’s something that might help:

The 4Rs to Overcome the Fear of Losing
Right State of Mind – You're focusing way too much on the recent loser (or winner). You need to forget about the last trade and start with the Right State of Mind. If it helps, walk away, take a breather and start with a clear mind.

Random – Remember that the market is Random and each trade is independent of the other, you have no Crystal Ball to predict the future and, hence, anything can happen. If you can predict the future, well… I suppose you won’t be reading this article then.

Reward – Ask yourself, would you prefer to have lost 1% on your account or to have missed the opportunity of rewarding yourself 2% or more of Profit (assuming your Reward:Risk is 2 or more).

Revisit – Revisit your Edge, including your trading plan and statistical outcome of your strategy. This is a good reminder that the Edge would only work in your favour IF you apply the rules mechanically i.e. taking all trades whenever the rules are met. If not, you‘re only trading a random system and not your Edge.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for reading and happy trading!!

eamaster

Trader
Nov 11, 2012
imho. For humans it is impossible to follow a trading strategy 100%. Humans make mistakes, i would recomment to use a good Expert Advisor to trade. As Computers make no mistakes, they can follow a strategy 100% it is well programmed.

Best regards

Rob Taylor

Active Trader
Oct 14, 2012
UK
www.tradeforexmakemoney.co.uk
The reason 95% of traders lose money is they do not know how to trade correctly. When you know how to trade correctly patience and discipline is a lot easier to master.

Its like crossing a busy road. When you are little you learn how to cross the road correctly, when you have learned how to cross the road you don't need to master patience and discipline, you just wait until its safe to cross.

Its the same with trading, why risk getting hit by a truck if its not safe to trade.

Last edited:

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Nice!

1. Average people think MONEY is the root of all evil. Rich people believe POVERTY is the root of all evil.

2. Average people think selfishness is a vice. Rich people think selfishness is a virtue.

3. Average people have a lottery mentality. Rich people have an action mentality.

4. Average people think the road to riches is paved with formal education. Rich people believe in acquiring specific knowledge.

5. Average people long for the good old days. Rich people dream of the future.

6. Average people see money through the eyes of emotion. Rich people think about money logically.

7. Average people earn money doing things they don't love. Rich people follow their passion.

8. Average people set low expectations so they're never disappointed. Rich people are up for the challenge.

9. Average people believe you have to DO something to get rich. Rich people believe you have to BE something to get rich.

10. Average people believe you need money to make money. Rich people use other people's money.

11. Average people believe the markets are driven by logic and strategy. Rich people know they're driven by emotion and greed.

12. Average people live beyond their means. Rich people live below theirs.

13. Average people teach their children how to survive. Rich people teach their kids to get rich.

14. Average people let money stress them out. Rich people find peace of mind in wealth.

15. Average people would rather be entertained than educated. Rich people would rather be educated than entertained.

16. Average people think rich people are snobs. Rich people just want to surround themselves with like-minded people.

17. Average people focus on saving. Rich people focus on earning.
18. Average people play it safe with money. Rich people know when to take risks.

19. Average people love to be comfortable. Rich people find comfort in uncertainty.

20. Average people never make the connection between money and health. Rich people know money can save your life.

21. Average people believe they must choose between a great family and being rich. Rich people know you can have it all.

By Steve Siebold

Now that's more apt for the forex market than any other..and as to the whole psychology is crock argument..sorry but it does play a big part when it comes to trading and FYI, psychology is not about astral reading or the feel good part..could expand on the same but that would be akin to highjackin' the thread..

TradeYourEdge

Trader
Nov 6, 2012
www.tradeyouredge.com
imho. For humans it is impossible to follow a trading strategy 100%. Humans make mistakes, i would recomment to use a good Expert Advisor to trade. As Computers make no mistakes, they can follow a strategy 100% it is well programmed.

Best regards

Hey,
I can't deny that EAs do trade mechanically and they do it much better than humans. However, I just don't like EAs. Just a personal preference.

Anyway, I think you just need to find something that works well for you. A system that resonates with the traders personality and beliefs. Again, that's just my personal view.

:)

TradeYourEdge

Trader
Nov 6, 2012
www.tradeyouredge.com
Why are you Trading?

I recently met up with an old buddy over coffee to catch up with old times. He is also a trader but he is an institutional trader who is currently on a career break. In the midst of our discussion, he asked me, “What are you trying to achieve?” We chatted for a bit but eventually moved on to other topics.

So, this morning, I decided to revisit my plan. And that led me to the discussion today:

Why are you Trading?
Many people (including myself) tend to get pulled into different directions once in awhile and the reasons could be due to pressure, noises and events surrounding us. As a perfectly normal human being, our decisions are driven by our emotions in that Moment. The Moment can sometimes last from a few hours to a few days pending on how engrossed you are in that activity. That’s fine but the impact of it is that we get diverted from our initial goal.

If you’re one of them, please take some time out from trading and ask this simple question. Why are you Trading?

5 Why’s
In case you’re struggling to answer this simple question, or if you’ve tried doing this exercise in the past but did not see any results, why not try this – ask yourself why 5 times.

FYI, this is a technique introduced by Toyota (see Wikipedia) to identify the root cause of your action.

Let’s try this example:

Why are you trading (1st Why)? – I’m trading for the money
Why do you need the money (2nd Why)? – I want to achieve financial freedom
Why do you want Financial Freedom (3rd Why)? – I want to have sufficient funds in the future?
Why do you need those funds (4th Why)? – I want to be able to support (financially) my partner and children irrespective of the economic circumstances.
Why do you want to do that (5th Why)? – I want to give the best to my family.
As you can see, it's not rocket science, yet it can be a pretty effective technique.

Refocus
Ok, the above is just an example of how you can use this technique. However, once you’ve done the exercise, don’t stop there. With an in depth understanding of what you’re doing and why you’re doing it, you can leverage on the answers and refocus. For example:

I found great motivation to make trading a success. As mentioned in my article - 5 Important Ingredients required for an Effective Trading Plan – I have ingredient #2 in front of my now – me family.
Now that I know how much money I need, I can calculate the breakdown of what my yearly and monthly financial targets should be based on the bigger picture.
Well, I think you got the point.

With a clearer picture of what you want to achieve, you can now refocus on your short, medium and long term goals and actions.

Conclusion
Traders, occasionally, get too bogged down about the market and that they forget why they are trading.

So, remember this - Review and Revisit your Trading Plan once in awhile. It’s actually a great way to maintain focus and motivation. Well, that’s also provided that you have a effective trading plan.

Anyway, thank you for reading and happy Friday!!

Let's say you find that 1-in-a-million EA and get locked into using it. Later in life, you find yourself away from home base and you need funds. You don't have your EA with you. And, you didn't learn how to manual trade successfully. When push comes to shove, you're up the proverbial creek.

One draw of Forex to me was, "trade from anywhere in the world with a laptop/smartphone and an internet connection." EA dependent w/o manual trading skills removes that option from you.

TradeYourEdge

Trader
Nov 6, 2012
www.tradeyouredge.com
Let's say you find that 1-in-a-million EA and get locked into using it. Later in life, you find yourself away from home base and you need funds. You don't have your EA with you. And, you didn't learn how to manual trade successfully. When push comes to shove, you're up the proverbial creek.

One draw of Forex to me was, "trade from anywhere in the world with a laptop/smartphone and an internet connection." EA dependent w/o manual trading skills removes that option from you.

Agree. In fact, since EAs are built using technical analysis (which is basis of manual trading), I just can't see how one can trade an EA w/o first understanding how to trade manually..

anyway, that's just my two cents..

Maria08

Banned
Oct 23, 2012
it may be hard but without being hardworking, disciplined & also without having greed nobody can be successful trader here.for being successful planning & also practicing is essential ..understanding forex trading system very clearly,learning & following the rules & working hard will make anyone the best trader in forex market without being hopeless so sudden... getting success is not very easy for every one. All people desire success but the difference is their level of knowledge and efficiency . working in forex will make us more conceptual & efficient & thus we will gain success very soon.also greed in a treading business sometimes may cause loss also. so we should keep patience for profit because forex is a profitable business.