Forex Forum - EarnForex
Serving Traders Since 2005

Go Back   Forex Forum - EarnForex > Forex Discussions > Trading Systems and Strategies

Trading Systems and Strategies Forum to discuss various Forex trading systems and strategies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 17th August 2011, 21:58
Default Avatar  
Default London Forex Open Breakout Forex System - Journal

Hi I'm fairly new on these boards but have been trading the above system for a few months. What I like about the system is that it only takes a few minutes to complete each morning (which suits my nature!) and has been pretty OK in terms of results.

I'd like to start keeping a journal of my trades on here -

1) To help discipline my trading
2) To force myself to start looking at trading a greater range of pairs with the system
3) To open up a discussion for any other traders of the system and hopefully gain some feedback to improve my results!
Old 19th August 2011, 09:18
Default Avatar  

Well a very quiet week this week... no trades! Not surprised really given the volatility this week. A couple of trades that would have triggered later in the day but not in the spirit of the morning breakout that the system looks for.

Onwards and upwards and have a great weekend!
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:39
Default Avatar  

SHORT signalled on GBPUSD this morning. Orders have been entered but so far not looking like we are going to get an entry before 10am (BST)
Old 24th August 2011, 07:44
Default Avatar  

SHORT signalled on GBPUSD this morning. Orders triggered at 1.6473...
Old 24th August 2011, 13:46
Default Avatar  

Out for -120 this morning. Ouch!

Still leaves my up +90 pips for the month so far but could have done without that this morning!
Old 24th August 2011, 23:52
Default Avatar  

Hi joshhart
Sorry about the loss, but you really do need to adjust your s/l. Playing the London breakout strategy is all good and plays well with many pairs. Although i would recommend looking to gain no more than say 20 pips and keeping my stops just above previous highs shorting,and just below previous lows buying. This whole set up on the GBP/USD for a breakout was wrong (sorry to say). I just think you need to adjust your time frame and look at the bigger picture, also i would highly recommend staying away from the GBP/USD until you get more confident in your method. Most of my trades focus around price action and breakouts but the conditions still have to be right. Heres a bit of a briefing on the GBP/USD
: After the euro, this is the most popular currency pair to trade. It's volatile intraday and long term. Spreads and liquidity are far below EUR/USD and USD/JPY, even in the best of times. The London session is best for trading GBP/USD. During the Asia time zone, GBP/USD is hard to trade in large sizes because liquidity is less and its spreads are inconsistent. GBP/USD is the single biggest reason people who lose money trading currencies lose. Range trading strategies are not recommended, neither is scalping. GBP, just like GBP/JPY, is a great breakout and momentum currency. Market makers usually do a better job in GBP/USD during the Asia time zone as they understand that GBP/USD trading is where the majority of people lose money so they are willing to offer fixed spreads or tighter spreads during the Asia time zone. However, when this currency pair does move, usually during London session, it is heavily re-quoted by market makers thus offsetting their initial advantage of fixed or tight spread during the Asia session.

Good luck with your trading joshhart all the best …xspacecowboyx
Old 31st August 2011, 11:27
Default Avatar  

Hi Spacecowboy

Thanks for the input. I was away from the Bank Holiday but hadn't intended to trade on Monday. This week has been quiet so far but with no trend yesterday.

I had a signal for a false breakout this morning which I've taken and am currently carrying out some testing on this part of the strategy as it seems the most promising.

Using the default settings the strategy delivers a pretty respectable average return of 3-4% per month over the last few years. It does seem to get a lot of 'breakeven' trades however - At first glance I think this can be improved upon as the default profit targets seem very high.

Even an average 3-4% per month though is still a pretty good return though for the maximum five minutes it takes a day.

Hopefully though I can grind some more out of this with some tweaks. :-)
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:27
Default Avatar  

A quick update going into the weekend.

Out for breakeven on the false breakout strategy mentioned in the previous post on Wednesday.

A better start to September with +120 pips Thursday and +60 pips today on the Conservative strategy. That'll pay for my weekend! ;-)

I'm going to see if I get some time to work on the false breakout (advanced strategy) this weekend to see if I can get some optimised settings from backtesting.

Have a great weekend all!
Old 5th September 2011, 08:32
Default Avatar  

Good morning all and a new week!

Trade this morning - Short on GPBUSD - Entry 1.6153.

Order one closed for +20, order closed for +40. Free run from breakeven for order 3. :-)
Old 5th September 2011, 10:39
Default Avatar  

Orders closed out. +120 pips on Conservative strategy. Also +100 pips using aggressive strategy (though I'm not trading this particular version of the strategy). That's me done for the day!

Tags
breakout trading, forex morning trade, gbp/usd, london forex open