greyr8trader

Oct 19, 2021
I use this ATR Trailing stop
https://www.earnforex.com/metatrader-expert-advisors/atr-trailing-stop/

it says that it can cover all trades if i set comment to true
so i did do that
but it seems like it will only update the stop losses when it is opened on a chart
i thought this would work even if the pairs werent opened on a chart

i have to open the charts so that stop losses would update
i hope there is fix to this. i really love the EA but im hoping i would have to open the chart as i work with a semi automated system

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
but it seems like it will only update the stop losses when it is opened on a chart
i thought this would work even if the pairs werent opened on a chart
Sorry, but what does it mean?

If you want the EA to trail stops on all positions in your account irrespective of the current chart's symbol, you just need to set the "Apply To Current Symbol Only" input parameter to false. It has nothing to do with comments.
Also, even if that for some reason doesn't work, you can simply load the EA on the chart of every pair you have a position for and they will get their stops trailed.

Please describe your problem more clearly.

uniqtrdr

Trader
Nov 11, 2021
Thank you for creating this trailing stop robot! I really like this one just want to find a tradingview.com equivalent indicator to properly back test it with. It seems this indicator updates more frequently then any other indicators on tradingview.com. After the order gets placed and I go back to check it I get different results. While those indicators remain on the same level this trails more closely. What indicator can I use on tradingview.com that will give me similar results or how to adjust the settings because setting the same multiplier would give me different readings. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Thank you for creating this trailing stop robot! I really like this one just want to find a tradingview.com equivalent indicator to properly back test it with. It seems this indicator updates more frequently then any other indicators on tradingview.com. After the order gets placed and I go back to check it I get different results. While those indicators remain on the same level this trails more closely. What indicator can I use on tradingview.com that will give me similar results or how to adjust the settings because setting the same multiplier would give me different readings. Thanks for any advice.
That's just the standard ATR (average true range) indicator. The only significant difference can be because the trailing stop EA uses ATR[1] (last closed candle) by default, while you might be looking at ATR[0] (the current candle) on TradingView. Other than that, it can only the difference in price feeds between the two, but it shouldn't be too different (unless you are using H4 and there a time zone difference involved).

uniqtrdr

Trader
Nov 11, 2021
Thank you for the reply. I have tried out a couple other ATR trailing stop robots but I like this the most. I just don't know if I was doing something wrong or is it not possible to place more than one ATR trailing stop loss per order for the same currency pair? It does not set an ATR trailing stop for the second order. Can you please tell me if I'm doing something wrong or is it not possible to have more than one ATR trailing stop for the same currency for the same time frame with the same settings? I also made sure the setting remained enabled. Thank you!

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Thank you for the reply. I have tried out a couple other ATR trailing stop robots but I like this the most. I just don't know if I was doing something wrong or is it not possible to place more than one ATR trailing stop loss per order for the same currency pair? It does not set an ATR trailing stop for the second order. Can you please tell me if I'm doing something wrong or is it not possible to have more than one ATR trailing stop for the same currency for the same time frame with the same settings? I also made sure the setting remained enabled. Thank you!
Sorry, but it's difficult to help you without understanding what you are doing and what you are trying to achieve.
First, which EA you are using ? The standard ATR-Trailer.mq4 - the one that opens a trade and then trails its stop? Or some modified version?
Second, which platform are you using - MT4 or MT5?
Third, what are you trying to achieve? Do you want to run two instances of ATR-Trailer and have two trades constantly open and managed by each instance of the EA? Then it is enough to attach two instances to two different charts (they can be of the same currency pair and timeframe or different - it doesn't matter). If you are applying two or more EAs to the same currency pair, don't forget to set a different Magic number input parameter for each instance - they will discern their trades by that number.

uniqtrdr

Trader
Nov 11, 2021
Sorry, but it's difficult to help you without understanding what you are doing and what you are trying to achieve.
First, which EA you are using ? The standard ATR-Trailer.mq4 - the one that opens a trade and then trails its stop? Or some modified version?
Second, which platform are you using - MT4 or MT5?
Third, what are you trying to achieve? Do you want to run two instances of ATR-Trailer and have two trades constantly open and managed by each instance of the EA? Then it is enough to attach two instances to two different charts (they can be of the same currency pair and timeframe or different - it doesn't matter). If you are applying two or more EAs to the same currency pair, don't forget to set a different Magic number input parameter for each instance - they will discern their trades by that number.
I'm using the MQLTA MT4 ATR Trailing Stop.mq4 so it's for MT4. I'm not sure why but when I set the magic number different for each trade for the same currency pair the stop loss is the same for both. For example I put magic number 0 for the first and 1 for the second. I also set the value 'true' for 'filter by magic number' but not giving me different values for stop loss. What I'm trying to achieve is this: the first trailing stop has ATR Period 15 and ATR Multiplier 3.0 and the second trailing stop has ATR Period 6 and ATR Multiplier 3.0
I want the one with the ATR Period 15 to trail longer even after the second one got stopped out which would trail closer and would get stopped out much sooner. So they should have different stop loss values after the order gets filled but that's not the case. I'm using two different charts per currency pair for the same time frame by the way. Please tell me what am I doing wrong. Thank you.

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
I'm using the MQLTA MT4 ATR Trailing Stop.mq4 so it's for MT4. I'm not sure why but when I set the magic number different for each trade for the same currency pair the stop loss is the same for both. For example I put magic number 0 for the first and 1 for the second. I also set the value 'true' for 'filter by magic number' but not giving me different values for stop loss. What I'm trying to achieve is this: the first trailing stop has ATR Period 15 and ATR Multiplier 3.0 and the second trailing stop has ATR Period 6 and ATR Multiplier 3.0
I want the one with the ATR Period 15 to trail longer even after the second one got stopped out which would trail closer and would get stopped out much sooner. So they should have different stop loss values after the order gets filled but that's not the case. I'm using two different charts per currency pair for the same time frame by the way. Please tell me what am I doing wrong. Thank you.
But did you open the first trade with Magic number = 0 (which is the same as without a Magic number) and the second trade with Magic number = 1?

PS: I hope you aren't trying to apply two different trailing stops to the same position?

uniqtrdr

Trader
Nov 11, 2021
But did you open the first trade with Magic number = 0 (which is the same as without a Magic number) and the second trade with Magic number = 1?

PS: I hope you aren't trying to apply two different trailing stops to the same position?
If you mean same position by having the same position size. No, of course not. I was only able to use two of them at the same time by using two different sub accounts to place the orders. Does this EA account for the spread when it places the trailing stop loss? Or how does it deal with it? Thanks.

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
If you mean same position by having the same position size.
No, I meant a situation when you have only one position and wish to apply two trailing stops to it. That wouldn't be possible.

Does this EA account for the spread when it places the trailing stop loss?
For Buy orders, it looks at the current Bid when determining the stop-loss level. For Sell orders, it looks at the current Ask. Or what else do you mean by accounting for the spread?

LittleDropsFx

Jan 11, 2022
I downloaded this EA (MQLTA MT4 Trailing Stop). It's exactly the kind of Trailing Stop EA i have been looking for. In the description it says the EA will automatically set a stop loss if there was none. So, i loaded the EA on single chart, set the "Apply To Current Symbol Only" to False; However, when i opened a trade, it did not automatically set a stop loss. Is there something i am missing?

Thank for your help

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
I downloaded this EA (MQLTA MT4 Trailing Stop). It's exactly the kind of Trailing Stop EA i have been looking for. In the description it says the EA will automatically set a stop loss if there was none. So, i loaded the EA on single chart, set the "Apply To Current Symbol Only" to False; However, when i opened a trade, it did not automatically set a stop loss. Is there something i am missing?
I am assuming that you installed MQLTA MT4 ATR Trailing Stop and not some other trailing stop EA that can be found on our website. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well when attaching the EA on one symbol and trading on the other. There is a bug that uses the attached chart's Close price when calculating the stop-loss. So, I recommend using the EA in the same symbol only mode.

• 👍
Reactions: Randy White

Randy White

Active Trader
Sep 24, 2014
Hey

Thanks for sharing it. Did you try it? I faced with some SL that were pretty close to the price and mostly ended with
SL at the final. I suppose, I did something wrong or incorrect?

How is your success rate?

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Thanks for sharing it. Did you try it? I faced with some SL that were pretty close to the price and mostly ended with
SL at the final. I suppose, I did something wrong or incorrect?
If you find the SLs too close, you can increase the ATR multiplier parameter. The default value of 1.0 can be quite close. A value between 2.5 and 3.0 would probably be more appropriate.

• 👍
Reactions: Randy White

Randy White

Active Trader
Sep 24, 2014
If you find the SLs too close, you can increase the ATR multiplier parameter. The default value of 1.0 can be quite close. A value between 2.5 and 3.0 would probably be more appropriate.

Yes, my bad. I was out of Market for a years... Looks like I have to re-open it all again.
I found some good ideas :)