Why latency is important?

Abadon

Trader
Dec 29, 2010
Cyber Space
www.nextpointhost.com
Hello,

I have very deep knowledge in information technologies and system administration, but I'm new in forex trading.

I search on the internet, but can not find good technical explanation why network latency from my metatrader terminal to my broker is so important.

If someone can explain me I will be very happy.

Thank you in advance.

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
If you are scalping - taking a lot of orders during a short period of time - low latency is very important, because you'll get more accurate execution and less requotes. Latency is also very important to HFT (High Frequency Trading) arbitrage traders who want to profit from quote difference on two or more liquidity providers - but that's totally another story.

Abadon

Trader
Dec 29, 2010
Cyber Space
www.nextpointhost.com
If I understand correctly latency in network world and from forex perspective are two different things?

In network world latency is the time it takes for a specific block of data on a data track to rotate around to the read/write head.

From Forex perspective that means execution time: how long it takes from the click on order execution and until I receive a confirmation that the order was actually executed.

That's why if I understand correctly I can have very fast network with low latency, but if my computer is slow or server of my broker is overloaded I will have bigger latency in trading correctly?

In HFT (High Frequency Trading) delay depends primarily on how fast is my pc and from current load of server of my broker correctly?

Because for every order I open new network connection correctly?

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
If I understand correctly latency in network world and from forex perspective are two different things?

In network world latency is the time it takes for a specific block of data on a data track to rotate around to the read/write head.

From Forex perspective that means execution time: how long it takes from the click on order execution and until I receive a confirmation that the order was actually executed.

No, network latency is the same in general and in Forex. But in Forex, network latency is important only because of its consequence in the execution delay.

That's why if I understand correctly I can have very fast network with low latency, but if my computer is slow or server of my broker is overloaded I will have bigger latency in trading correctly?

Bigger execution delays, yes.

In HFT (High Frequency Trading) delay depends primarily on how fast is my pc and from current load of server of my broker correctly?

Because for every order I open new network connection correctly?

In HFT delay depends mainly on the connection speed. No one uses PCs or brokers in HFT. In HFT the trading servers are located in the direct proximity to the liquidity providers (exchanges). That's where each millisecond matters and is worth millions of dollars.

Abadon

Trader
Dec 29, 2010
Cyber Space
www.nextpointhost.com
Thank you now I understand basic things in forex trading. One last question - If I have big latency this can cost me money due different exchange rate.

For example I want to exchange 100 USD to EUR. Current exchange rate USD:EUR is 1:0.5. I make order, but until my order runs if my latency is big exchange rate can be changed to 1:0.7 and my order to be executes on new exchange rate correctly?

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
In this case, you'll get a requote (broker will ask you if you want to execute your order at a new price) or a slippage (the order will be executed automatically at a new price). Of course, the price may move into your way and execute at a better price due to the lag.

Mascuty

Trader
Jan 25, 2013
If you are scalping - taking a lot of orders during a short period of time - low latency is very important, because you'll get more accurate execution and less requotes. Latency is also very important to HFT (High Frequency Trading) arbitrage traders who want to profit from quote difference on two or more liquidity providers - but that's totally another story.

Very smart :eek:

arvind123

Trader
Oct 1, 2013
taking a lot of orders during a short period of time - low latency is very important, because you'll get more accurate execution and less requotes. Latency is also very important to HFT (High Frequency Trading) arbitrage traders who want to profit from quote difference on two or more liquidity providers - but that's totally another story.

Ary Barroso

Active Trader
Jul 9, 2017
It’s an old post and I see, you got your answer already! By the way, I am curious to know your current trading status, it’s almost 7 years; I hope now you are enjoying your live trading. Please, don’t mind to share your experience here.