Why dollar is weak?

virmon

Active Trader
The US dollar has recovered on the heels of stronger economic data. The Empire State manufacturing survey jumped almost 23 points in March while foreign purchases of US securities increased more than expected in February. Although some economists argue that one month of stronger manufacturing data does not equal a recovery, the market is nonetheless pleased to see the weaker US dollar finally lead to some positives for the US economy.

JEAN

Active Trader
May 6, 2009
The dollar is losing ground against the majors after the publication of some US macro data. Even though the initial jobless claims were worse than expected, the production price index beat expectations. As a result, there is a rise of risk aversion.

andy003

Master Trader
Jan 7, 2009
The greenback showed signs of stabilizing in the spring and summer. Massive dollar purchases by Japan and other Asian central banks, hopes that the U.S. trade deficit was peaking, and expectations that the Federal Reserve would hike interest rates rapidly all combined to put a floor under the U.S. currency.

andy003

Master Trader
Jan 7, 2009
The world financial system is in a tremendously doubtful mode at the moment, irresolute between the hope and optimism that the global financial system may be over the most horrible and the information that "bear market rallies in a recession are the rule not the exception".

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
I think because the US should have expected this, they are 12 Trillion Dollars in the hole and are only worth 14 trillion annually – a number that is certain to decline this year as a result of the slowdown. Being that there are only 800 Billion actual dollars in circulation (not including the fake ones that North Korea has been printing), this puts the US in a position similar to Rome eighteen hundred years ago – a dominant power in the world that those in need turn to for help yet on the inside, they are collapsing financially and are actually the ones in dire need of help.

JEAN

Active Trader
May 6, 2009
this is also from today´s acm´s alerts

Focus today will be on whether the dollar can break out of it’s current ranges especially against the Euro. The balance between the continued risk aversion regarding the GM debacle, North Korea will go head with the continued will for the market at large to recover rapidly from the gallows of this economic recession..

RESISTANCES &SUPPORTS:
EURUSD GBPUSD USDJPY USDCHF
1.3939 1.6087 99.59 1.0953
1.3900 1.5975 97.85 1.0923
1.3881 1.5952 97.04 1.0894
1.3875 1.5922 92.92 1.0882
1.3840 1.5900 96.63 1.0873
1.3819 1.5856 96.14 1.0853
1.3740 1.5780 95.92 1.0812
S: Strong, M: Minor, T: Trendline, K: Keylevel, P: Pivot

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
Moody’s, one of the major credit rating agencies affirmed the Dollars “AAA” status “despite rising national debt” on Wednesday, sending the Dollar higher against most majors as credit worries eased. Also, on Wednesday, a regional Federal Reserve president had said that the Chinese informed him they were “concerned” over the US’s rising debt in a meeting held last week. Richard Fisher of the Dallas Federal Reserve in Texas said the primary concern of the Chinese is the Federal Reserve, the US’s Central Bank, financing spending by the treasury department which essentially amounts to printing money. While China is worried about hyperinflation, analysts agree that at this time the US economy is slightly deflated.

However, data released late in the session in online forex market showed that the inventory of unsold homes had increased in the US, stoking fears that home prices will continue to fall next month. The news dropped the dollar off of its highs and moved it negative against the Sterling.

JEAN

Active Trader
May 6, 2009
The USD continues to come under broad based selling with no respite in sight. Commodities and commodity currency rallied on renewed risk appetite with the audusd climbing above 0.7950 level and the gbpusd broke through 1.6100.

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
The USD continues to come under broad based selling with no respite in sight. Commodities and commodity currency rallied on renewed risk appetite with the audusd climbing above 0.7950 level and the gbpusd broke through 1.6100.

The Dollar continued its slide from late last week on Monday as broad gains in the global stock markets reduced the safe-haven appeal of the greenback and signaled a return of risk appetite. The Dollar fell to its lowest level of the years against the Euro as well as a broad basket of currencies. Manufacturing data in the US posted its highest gain in nine months and construction spending rose for the first time in eight months giving investors and traders solace that the US economy might be stabilizing.

JEAN

Active Trader
May 6, 2009
EURUSD reverted the gains after the Payrolls, as the US unemployment rate came out worse than expected..

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
EURUSD reverted the gains after the Payrolls, as the US unemployment rate came out worse than expected..

Hi Jeans,

Well i am saw the pair pulled up from the 1.3800 support level, but has fallen back towards it in early trading today.

I believe a break below this level would mean another slide downwards of 100+ pips with an initial target at 1.3670-1.3650 and beyond that the
1.3600 area.

A move above 1.3940 would target 1.4040 and 1.4090. There is also resistance at 1.4000.

JEAN

Active Trader
May 6, 2009
Hi Jeans,

Well i am saw the pair pulled up from the 1.3800 support level, but has fallen back towards it in early trading today.

I believe a break below this level would mean another slide downwards of 100+ pips with an initial target at 1.3670-1.3650 and beyond that the
1.3600 area.

A move above 1.3940 would target 1.4040 and 1.4090. There is also resistance at 1.4000.

Hi Pinalli!
The good data from the US are renewing the optimism that the worst of the crisis is gone, eurusd is 1.4138…
Tomorrow will be Europe's industrial production figures and the CPI from France !
If these figures beat expectations, the euro will keep climbing against the dollar…
Regards :p

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
Thats right jeans, Even i read that yesterday, that the Russian Finance Minister reaffirmed Russia’s belief in the Dollar’s status as the world’s reserve currency – in what seemed to be quite a surprising quote.

This was at least what the American spin on this was, and when the major newspapers reported it they used this spin. The fact is, what Alexi Kudrin said was that “the Dollar will continue to be the primary reserve currency for some time”, and if you listen to the audio of how he said this at the G8 meeting, it was almost a conciliatory tone – as if to say “there is nothing we can do about this right now, as much we would like to, but……..” .

JEAN

Active Trader
May 6, 2009
Hi pinalli, long time no see hihi:p
What a weak for our beloved save heaven!!! Although I haven’t touched it so much, I made some decent profit on the US Payroll announcements… did you trade?
I had my ac-markets platform open and my news tool and it was going like crazy!
I trade eurusd for bout 10 minutes and had very good result :) :)
I almost go usdjpy, thank god I didn’t!!!