Why do Forex Traders Lose Money

burdianex

Trader
May 10, 2013
It is commonly known that most forex traders fail. In fact, it iss estimated that 96 percent of forex traders lose money and end up quitting. so I want to ask that what reason behind it? Please share your experience about it.

Rambo35

Confirmed PaxForex Representative
Apr 22, 2013
Canada
They make the same mistakes others who failed have done and failed to learn.I think the number may be even a bit higher than what you mentioned. One of the biggest mistakes they make is think they can learn how to trade in a demo account. They also lack discipline and patience and have unrealistic expectations.

ituglobal

Master Trader
Apr 17, 2013
Don’t force yourself to do what’s contrary to the realities on the markets. Trade what you see, not what you want. As a trader, you’ve got to be objective and unbiased, rather than subjective and biased. Show respect for the markets.

Rambo35

Apr 22, 2013
Canada
Don’t force yourself to do what’s contrary to the realities on the markets. Trade what you see, not what you want. As a trader, you’ve got to be objective and unbiased, rather than subjective and biased. Show respect for the markets.

Respect for the markets? There is no respect that you need to give, just execute your strategy.

sourcecodefx

Active Trader
May 15, 2013
Shanghai
www.myfxbook.com
I'm in the 4% who win.
I have 6-year forex trading experiences, trading with my own profitable EAs. I'm the top trade leader ranked NO.1 on currensee.
You can check my performance on myfxbook.

FRX

Trader
May 23, 2013
1. Low start up capital
Most currency traders start out looking for a way to get out of debt, or to make easy money. It is common for forex marketing to encourage you to trade large lot sizes and trade highly leveraged to generate large returns on a small amount of initial capital. You must have some money to make some money. It's possible for you to generate outstanding returns on limited capital in the short term. However, with only a small amount of capital and outsized risk, you will find yourself being emotional with each swing of the market and jumping in and out and the worst times possible.

2. Failure to manage risk
Risk management is key to survival. You can be a very skilled trader and still be wiped out by poor risk management. Your number one job is not to make a profit, but rather to protect what you have. As your capital gets depleted, your ability to make a profit is lost.

3. Greed
Some traders feel that they need to squeeze every last pip out of a move. There is money to be made in the forex markets every day. Trying to grab every last pip before a currency pair turns can set you up to lose the profitable trade that you are sitting on.

FRX

Trader
May 23, 2013
Lack of Experience

Forex trading - like any new initiative - has a learning curve. However, unlike learning a new skill such as learning to play guitar for instance, you are not risking your entire savings while discovering the difference between a major and minor chord. Learning about the currency markets and basic trading principles solely on a trial and error basis is not a recommended approach for gaining the skills necessary to be a successful forex trader.

Most online forex brokers offer a practice version of their trading platform that offers the very same experience as a live trading application. Typically, once you create a practice account, you are free to trade and deal as you wish risking only the "play" money used to seed your account.

With a forex demo account, you can see how the market reacts to economic forces including news events without actually risking your investment capital. However, you must treat this account seriously if you expect to learn from the experience. If you simply shrug off a loss without understanding why the loss occurred, then you are wasting your time and setting yourself up for disappointment. Take advantage of this unique forex market training tool before committing your money to a real forex trading account.

Unreasonable Expectations

First off, stop believing all the “get-rich quick” hype still perpetrated by some forex dealers. Yes, there are those that do get rich trading forex but some people also get rich selling houses. In either case, it does not happen overnight and it might take years to gain the experience and insight to turn forex trading into a full-time, successful occupation.

As a new forex trader, if you manage to stay in the game without losing all your money in the first few months as is all-too-common – then you may be able to learn what is required to be profitable. In other words, don’t quit your day job just yet.

Absence of a Sound Trading Plan

Next to having unreasonable expectations with regards to the risks associated with forex trading and the amount of time required to be successful, a common mistake made by new traders is the lack of a forex trading plan. In reality, there are two aspects to this plan; an overall objective for your trading activities and a plan for each trade you make.

Your overall objective should include the currencies that you intend to deal in, the amount of leverage you will use, and the amount of time you intend to devote to your trading activities. Your plan must also include a realistic rate of return you expect to achieve. In addition to your overall objectives plan, you also need an exit strategy plan for each trade you make that includes the upper and lower boundaries of the trade.

In other words, you must identify the level at which you will close positions and take your profits (take-profit order) or in the case of a losing trade, the level at which you are prepared to go before you get out of the trade thus limiting your losses (limit order). We’ll talk more about stop-loss and take-profit instructions later.

Rambo35

Apr 22, 2013
Canada
I'm in the 4% who win.
I have 6-year forex trading experiences, trading with my own profitable EAs. I'm the top trade leader ranked NO.1 on currensee.
You can check my performance on myfxbook.

I don't think anyone cares for your performance.

Jira

Trader
Feb 18, 2013
Traders lose money due to many reasons, but the most common reasons are lack of knowledge and analysis, the lack of a profitable trading plan, the lack of practice in demo account and especially the lack of money management skills while trading.

ituglobal

Master Trader
Apr 17, 2013
Traders lose money due to many reasons, but the most common reasons are lack of knowledge and analysis, the lack of a profitable trading plan, the lack of practice in demo account and especially the lack of money management skills while trading.

You would need to do away with bad thinking that has adverse effect on your trading. When you have a negative trade, try to find out why and how you could improve your trading. Do not dwell on your past bad experience since this does not help you. You would need to focus on more opportunities ahead of you, and not weighed down by the forgone events.

Master Forex IB

Active Trader
May 23, 2013
Traders loose money when they are in hurry to make profits. They want to double their amount in one trade . They ignore safety rules . They should keep in mind that loss can occur any time . They can not control their emotions , Some times they loose due to high fear . They always close trades in loss.

Rob Taylor

Active Trader
Oct 14, 2012
UK
www.tradeforexmakemoney.co.uk
Forex traders lose money because they don't know how to trade, its as simple as that. When you know how to trade you don't lose money.

If you want to learn how to trade, find someone that knows how to trade and get them to teach you.

If you want to learn to be a doctor, you don't go on the internet and teach yourself do you? You get trained by another doctor. Forex is no different. If you want to be a bad trader teach yourself, if you want to be a great trader, get a great trader to teach you. :)

Rambo35

Apr 22, 2013
Canada

I disagree on the part of the demo account, you can practice all you want but you will never learn how to trade that way.

mumuy

Active Trader
May 3, 2013
The most valuable thing that a trader needs is discipline, even if you now all the technical indicators and lack discipline in your trading, you will surely lose. And since, forex is a business you should always bear in mind that there are risk involve, you should be prepared to lose in a manageable way.

Master Forex IB

Active Trader
May 23, 2013
I think when traders start forex at this step they do big mistakes as they do not know how much lot is suitable for their capital . They had not good market analysis , they had less emotional control so they loose their money in getting experience and expreriments of forex trading.

dragon

Trader
Jun 18, 2013
forex trader lose money because they start trading on forex without any experience and knowledge about forex

sayem

Trader
Jun 11, 2013
1. Low start up capital
Most currency traders start out looking for a way to get out of debt, or to make easy money. It is common for forex marketing to encourage you to trade large lot sizes and trade highly leveraged to generate large returns on a small amount of initial capital. You must have some money to make some money. It's possible for you to generate outstanding returns on limited capital in the short term. However, with only a small amount of capital and outsized risk, you will find yourself being emotional with each swing of the market and jumping in and out and the worst times possible.

2. Failure to manage risk
Risk management is key to survival. You can be a very skilled trader and still be wiped out by poor risk management. Your number one job is not to make a profit, but rather to protect what you have. As your capital gets depleted, your ability to make a profit is lost.

3. Greed
Some traders feel that they need to squeeze every last pip out of a move. There is money to be made in the forex markets every day. Trying to grab every last pip before a currency pair turns can set you up to lose the profitable trade that you are sitting on.
It's frequently accepted that a lot of forex traders fail.In fact,it's estimated that 96 percent of forex traders lose money and end up quitting.To advice you to be in that ambiguous 4 percent of acceptable traders,I accept aggregate a account of the a lot of accepted affidavit why forex traders lose money.

ituglobal

Master Trader
Apr 17, 2013
You shouldn’t expect to get an emotional uplift or feeling of quiet peace every time you trade, but as you continue your commitment, your attitude, outlook, and conduct will be like those of matured traders.