What time frames are better to trade on?

Rambo35

Confirmed PaxForex Representative
Apr 22, 2013
Canada
Choosing a time frame to trade on depends a lot on your personality. An adrenaline hungry trader will likely seek shorter time frames and more action, while a calm-seeking trader will prefer longer time frames and sitting on a position for a longer period of time. What is your choice?

vicknic

Confirmed ProfiForex Representative
Jan 21, 2014
Netherlands
www.profiforex.com
Sitting on a position for a longer period of time requires good analysis and patience. This is something most traders lack. The use of long or shorter time frame depends on your available margin and preferences. I would advice longer time frames to get a detailed view of the market.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Both, depends on my strategy but usually longer time periods..as the set ups are better with less false leads..

triplet

Active Trader
Oct 7, 2014
The use of time frame can have effect on your success as a trader. In forex I think it is recommended that newbies work with bigger time frames because they are still struggling with how to control emotions. The more smaller the time frame the less time you will have in making decisions while trading.

• 👍
Reactions: Azalea

joescholz

Banned
Aug 25, 2014
There is no rigid time frame stipulated for any type of trader. It all depends on the trader’s trading plan and strategy. Personally, as a day trader, I trade with the 4h time frame. Giving me 6 candles or charts to know the movement of the market.

Oct 11, 2015
There is no need to complicate things once you understand the simplicity of an effective Forex trading system. Top Forex brokers will not care whether you trade on-trend or against it, since they don't bet against you, but you should. I trade 5-minute charts on the best Forex trading platform available today to a retail trader, and out of the enormous diversity of indicators, I only use simple moving averages. I use charting to spot ongoing trend and assess its strength. It gets easier on the eye with experience. I let the trend settle and pick up steam, and then enter a trade on a pullback. I get out when I feel that the trend is quieting down, and don't worry about not making that high. Stability is more important to me.

• 👍

fxapex

Active Trader
Jun 7, 2013
It depends on the location of the individual trader and ease to trade, most of the traders are part timers so they choose a time frame which suite their time.

• 👍

ituglobal

Master Trader
Apr 17, 2013
The use of time frame can have effect on your success as a trader. In forex I think it is recommended that newbies work with bigger time frames because they are still struggling with how to control emotions. The more smaller the time frame the less time you will have in making decisions while trading.

Sarah12

Aug 12, 2015
I perfectly agree with this : I mean it sums why I prefer longer time time frames

if you trade the longer time frame charts, it takes away the influence of news and the fundamental news releases because you generally have big stop loss you can absorb any movements that should occur in a higher impact news announcement if you’re trading on a longer time frame charts so all that leads to of course less stress, less emotions involved. Put the trade on, walk away from your computer, you have your stop loss in place; you have your profit target in place. You know the very worse you can do. You know that if the trade works on your favor this is what I’m going to make out of the trade, so a lot of reliability there

Twin butterfly

Active Trader
Apr 11, 2016
Actually time for trading in India to trade is from morning 11:00am to 8:00pm where in we have the maximum fluctuation in the major currency pairs. But to find the best time frame to trade is depends on your strategy but generally the longer the better.

MartinBa

Trader
Apr 20, 2016
Sorry. But. Why do you ask about prefer time frame. It is wrong to analyse market using one time frame.
I use H4 and D1 for determinate the main direction (stage of trend), determine support\resistance levels. And i use H1 and M30 for to spot the point of enter in the market, put sl and tp.

jellyeb

Active Trader
Jun 10, 2015
1, 5, 15M timeframes are excellent for me as I'm scalping and hunt for short term momentums, especially on news.

• 👍
Reactions: tjarzu

radex78

Banned
Nov 15, 2015
I think also will depending with style trader to choose timeframe, almost scalping might they choose low timeframe like as 5 minute or 15 minute timeframe, but as intraday tarder might they can use higher timeframe 1 hour or 4 hour timeframe to analyze trend market, but swing trader might use weekly and daily timeframe also 1 hour timeframe

micro

Mar 15, 2016
Higher time frames have more impact on almost all types of markets online. If you trade on too much small time frames, then you can get bad signals or market noise as they call it.