What, exactly is Scalping?

Supermech21

Trader
Jul 9, 2012
If you don't know what scalping is, then you must be a newbie, and you should forget about scalping for now. Start off by learning to trade on longer term charts. Don't even think about scalping until you are an experienced trader.

Great info, when a clear newbie asks a simple question jump on him and tell him not to even think about it....

What a pal, :rolleyes:.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
No one's jumpin' on anyone and reading between the lines, that's actually sound advice. And for what it's worth, if a trader has no idea of what scalping is and still wants to go ahead and try scalping a few pips, chances are he/she is going to blow out their account.

angelnish

Banned
Jul 24, 2012
Scalping is like those high action thriller movies that keep you on the edge of your seat. It's fast paced, exciting, and mind-rattling all at once. These types of trades are usually only held onto for a few seconds to a few minutes at the most! The main objective for scalpers is to grab very small amounts of pips as many times as they can throughout the busiest times of the day.

Because scalpers basically have to be glued to the charts, it is best suited for those who can spend several hours of undivided attention to their trading.
It requires intense focus and quick thinking to be successful.
It is not for those looking to make big wins all the time, but rather for those who like raking in small profits over the long run to make an overall profit.

Apr 17, 2012
Personally, I don't use indicators to base my trading decisions. However, I do monitor SMA(50) for no other reason that that it's widely followed by others.

On that note, is there any scalper who trades without charts? I come from the PA camp and I cannot even fathom trading without the aid of charts. But I also keep my eyes on T&S window. Although difficult, I don't believe it's impossible to score a few ticks solely by using the T&S alone.

nalu

Confirmed ProfiForex Representative
Sep 3, 2014
Scalping is a trading strategy whereby the trader goes in and out of trading positions several times per day and make small and regular profits. Scalping is not for everybody you. For you to succeed in scalping you must be the kind of person who react quickly without analyzing every more.

triplet

Active Trader
Oct 7, 2014
Scalping is a style of trading in which a trade engage in more than more trading position in a day.Normaly these positions are based on short term market fluctuations and they use technical trading strategies.

jezzykid

Banned
Nov 21, 2014
Scalping is just a trading strategy where traders enter the market to grab just few pips and exit the market. Most brokers don't encourage scalping on their platform because if is more or less like gambling.

hyperscalper

Trader
Jan 23, 2013
North Carolina USA
Scalping must not be Guessing

I've worked for many years in scalping. I approached it as a completely new area, which has never before been possible and is, or was, completely unknown to everyone.

When you do that, you have to invent completely new ways of thinking, especially Analytics, and also Execution Methodology.

Any trading business you enter is "gambling" unless you have high probability Analytics. Analytics is #1 for any trader, no matter the timeframe.

But for Scalping, or my specialty Micro Scalping, the Analytics are completely different from normal trading.

High probability setups must be identifiable, precision execution and pricing must also be there, as well as a trading method which optimiz(s)es Risk and Trade Management.

With these factors in place, Micro Scalping is no longer Guessing. It's transforming "wiggles" into profit, where others are unable to trade reliably.

Good Scalping ! :)
HyperScalper

Weronika

Apr 20, 2015
I think the easy way to explain scalping or the way I understand this is by saying that you open many small positions and as soon as they make a little bit of profit you close them. you only have your positions open for a small time.

AbbottB

Active Trader
Sep 4, 2012
It is the smallest timeframe of trading. Think about the progressions like this:

Long Term Trader - 6 month +
Short Term Trader- 2-6month
Swing Trader 2days - 2 month
Day Trader - Less than 24 hours
Scalper - Holds positions for seconds to a couple of hours.

Basically scalping is the quickest form. Sometimes this is confused with "picking" which is merely when people look at multiple data feeds during times of high volatility and try to enter into positions when they see one feed lagging another. This is similiar to arbitrage. It used to actually work quite well in the past but many brokers now slip your trades or start requoting you when their computers "believe" you are trying to do this.

Hope that helps...

Ese11

Trader
Aug 12, 2015
How much more simply would this definition be,Well simply its a style of trading that involves frequent trading seeking small gains over a very short period of time. Trades can last from seconds to minutes.But watch out Some brokers do not welcome this strategy,whiles others that do might have limits to the time the trades last