What causes Spreads to change?

Petrichor

Nov 15, 2021
Just wondering, I understand why the spread is changing all the time, which to my feeling it's normal to see it always changing. But why would broker choose fixed spread? Are the brokers who are offering fixed spread less legit or it doesn't make any difference?

cashisking

Banned
Nov 24, 2021
Just wondering, I understand why the spread is changing all the time, which to my feeling it's normal to see it always changing. But why would broker choose fixed spread? Are the brokers who are offering fixed spread less legit or it doesn't make any difference?
It does make a difference. Fixed spreads are mostly offered by brokers who operate as a market maker and have a dealing desk. These brokers first buy large positions from their liquidity providers and then sell smaller parts to retail traders which helps them to keep spread rates constant irrespective of the market conditions. Market makers have a reputation of acting as a counterparty to their clients’ and you should try to avoid them.

rickfx

Trader
Nov 9, 2020
I've never seen or heard of it... it's either fixed or variable spreads.
Wonder which broker switches from fixed to variable ones and then back.

no_frame

Trader
Aug 21, 2021
Spreads change as rates from the LPs change and eventually bid - ask price changes to match exact buyer and seller or vice-versa by the service provider.

sharabela

Master Trader
Oct 19, 2016
I
Dear Friends,I m kind of confused to what would cause spreads to change second by second,My broker offers both the fixed and variable spreads but would trigger the variable spreads to change with time? I would appreciate any help
It mainly depends on market's liquidity. If there is a massive news event, we see spread gets changed. It is because big news events make traders close their running trades and entering new trades. It causes the price movement with good momentum. Thus, price quotes gets changed as well.

e_abrams

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2020
Yes, that was my point too. There are plenty of places that provide economic calendars for the current trading week, make a habit of checking one every week, several times a week.

Glossy

Trader
Aug 2, 2021
Poland
Brokers usually write most of the information on their website, before trading, all information must be read.