Weekend Gaps

angelnish

Banned
Jul 24, 2012
What creates a weekend gap in price? And if it is a true reflection of the strength/weakness of a particular pair, why is the gap often closed?

As you know, I make it a point to trade "The Gap" every Friday. While I missed my specific trade last weekend, I got caught with two open orders. The both gaped in the correct directions giving me $400+ profit.

I liken the Forex to a river. It's level is constantly changing throughout the week from people getting in and out. Over the 48 hour weekend, it settles or moves into equilibrium. Thus, a gap is formed.

It's just an easy way to look at it.

WalkieTalkie

Master Trader
Feb 19, 2009
As you know, I make it a point to trade "The Gap" every Friday. While I missed my specific trade last weekend, I got caught with two open orders. The both gaped in the correct directions giving me $400+ profit.

I liken the Forex to a river. It's level is constantly changing throughout the week from people getting in and out. Over the 48 hour weekend, it settles or moves into equilibrium. Thus, a gap is formed.

It's just an easy way to look at it.

Lucky you! I once lost about $300 in gaps

Typically, everyone crys "Show me your charts." Well, as I said, I use NO chart to decide the Weekend Gap. Here's what I DO use. The Forex Currency Index in top and Trend Scanner below. I first look at FCI, specifically the Daily grouping. I consider STRENGTH against WEAKNESS or vice versa. I then verify gap direction on THAT pair in the Trend Scanner D1 showing. If TS shows no indication, or grey, I cross-check correlated pairs. That will be my Weekend Gap trade.

Now, I open the order INSIDE of 1 minute til loss of signal (LOS). Sunday, I'm at the computer to close the Gap order immediately upon acquisition of signal (AOS). Why so tight? I want the gap, not further movement, which will probably be against the gap. Easy enough?

Hectors_Indicators.jpg

In this scenario, I would have (did) pick EUR/AUD on a SELL order, selling more weakness over less strength.

There's the chart I use and the way I read it.

Last edited:
Well,

I wondered when it would happen. After 18 winning Gap trades, I get my first loss (-$50). However, the trade is still active and in in range to hit a new TP mark so I'll leave it be to do it's thing. Still, one against 18 is nothing to be sad about.

I knew it was coming. It was just a question of when. Now that it's done, I'm set.

optionking

Trader
Sep 10, 2012
Forex is 24/7 market, therefore, transaction also being made during weekends while broker closes the market. It results in gap during weekend.

Checking my two indicators above this morning is showing good GAP possibilities with USD/CAD. The Currency Index is currently showing CAD at +2 bars of strength and USD at -8 bars of weakness. Therefore, I'll SELL weakness.

The SELL order is verified by Trend Scanner which shows the D1-USD/CAD intersection as RED, a downtrend.

I'll check again to verify just before loss of signal and order entry.