Trade with Moving Average

miskec

Active Trader
Mar 16, 2009
Moving average is one of the most popular and easy to use tools available for doing technical analysis. It means the average price of a currency over a specified time period (the most common being 20, 30, 50, 100 and 200 days), used in order to spot pricing trends by flattening out large fluctuations. Moving average data is used to create charts that show whether a currency’s price is trending up or down. They can be used to track daily, weekly, or monthly patterns. Each new day's (or week's or month's) numbers are added to the average and the oldest numbers are dropped, thus, the average "moves" over time. In general, the shorter the time frame used, the more volatile the prices will appear, so, for example, 20 day moving average lines tend to move up and down more than 200 day moving average lines. There are four different types of moving averages: Simple (also referred to as Arithmetic), Exponential, Smoothed and Linear Weighted. Moving averages may be calculated for any sequential data set, including opening and closing prices, highest and lowest prices, trading volume or any other indicators. It is often the case when double moving averages are used.

Sofia

Master Trader
Jun 20, 2009
A simple moving average could be interpreted thus. When currency price rises above its moving average, it’s signal to buy. A sell signal is generated when price of the currency falls below its moving average.

Moving Average Convergence/Divergence (MACD)~ It’s buy signal when MACD rises above signal line, and sell signal comes into play when MACD is falling below signal line.

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
It is the average price over a specific time period, when that price is compared to other average prices during the same period. For example, what would be the moving average of ending prices over a 10-day period? It would simply be the total of the ten ending prices divided by 10. Then there is the “simple moving average”, wherein the price is averaged over a number of days. Every successive day, the oldest price is excluded from the average to be replaced by the current price. So you could say that the average keeps moving daily. Moving averages are used to iron out the rough edges from price information. This helps to authenticate and confirm trends and also support and resistance levels.

alessio09

Master Trader
Jun 9, 2009
Mathematically, a moving average is a kind of convolution and so it is close by its meaning to the low-pass filter used in signal processing. If it is used with non-time series data, a moving average simply shows a generic smoothing operation without any specific connection to time period, but typically some kind of ordering is implied.

Find more information about notions related to currency market at the webpage.

anna575

Active Trader
Aug 17, 2010
Hello

Hey, There are a lot of opportunity through moving averages. It is one of the best and useful information for us. All of these averages are helpful. Thanks..:)

j'ai

Trader
Nov 10, 2011
Hi,
I always use moving averages to exit a trade. I find that exiting when they cross give me the best results I get from the trade.

mr.gardner

Trader
Mar 14, 2012
Tha magic moving averagesJ I use – 7 EMA, 14 EMA, 21 Simple, 89 simple,200 simple.
In my opinion moving averages can help but you cannot simply trade only on the signals generated from MAs because they are trend-lagging indicators and must be combined with oscillators and others….

Good Luck

Alchemist

Active Trader
May 2, 2012
England
www.alchemistforex.com
Many traders use MA's instead of trend lines, and MA crossovers are often used as entry signals. However, MA crosses only work in a trending market. MA's are derived from price, and I prefer to look at price itself - trend lines, horizontal s/r levels and bar formations. I think a lot of new traders like MA's because they are "instant" - they don't have to draw trend lines or s/r levels. Also, it's a lot easier to enter a trade using a crossover rather than learning about price action.

If used correctly, MA's can be used to trade successfully, but I think that price action is more effective.

tommy0921

Trader
Jan 3, 2011
Moving Averages
Moving averages are computed by taking an average of the exchange rate for a particular period of time and then allowing it to evolve or move forward over time.

eurusd%20daily%20bar%20chart%20with%2010%20and%2020%20day%20mas.gif

Figure 1: A daily bar chart for the EUR/USD currency pair with a 10 day simple moving average drawn in red and a 20 day simple moving average drawn in blue and superimposed over the price action. The vertical axis is the pair’s exchange rate and the horizontal axis is time.

Various types of moving averages are used as lagging indicators by technical traders to get a sense of what sort of price levels are more typical for a market, as well as to identify trends and possible reversal situations.

The more popular types of moving averages include the following:

Simple moving averages
Exponential moving averages
Weighted moving averages

Computing Simple Moving Averages

To calculate a simple moving average, you would take the sum of closing exchange rates for a currency pair observed over a period of time, and then divide that sum by the number of observations made.

You would then evolve or move the average over time by keeping the number of days observed constant while adding a new one and dropping the oldest one.

For example, for a 20 day simple moving average, you would take the sum of the last 20 days of closing exchange rates and divide by 20 to obtain the value of the simple moving average for that day.

Weighted Moving Averages

Various forms of weighted moving averages are used to help correct this indicator for its general lagging nature and make it more response to recent price action. Such moving averages will generally be computed by giving greater weight to more recent exchange rates in the analysis.

A particularly popular type of weighted moving average is the Exponential Moving Average or EMA in which each successive value increases in significance.

Characteristics of Moving Averages
Some of the general characteristics of moving average include:

Averages taken over longer time periods are less sensitive to price.
Shorter moving averages tend to have more false signals.

Accordingly, when trading a sideways market, it can give better results to use longer time periods for moving averages to avoid being whipsawed by false trading signals.

Using Moving Averages

Moving averages are generally used in conjunction with confirmation obtained from other technical indicators to avoid false signals.

Some technical traders look for crossovers among short and long term moving averages to signal a trade entry point. They would generally go long when the short term average moves above the long term average and short when the short term average shifts below the long term average.

When using multiple moving averages, traders might also look for tight formations among the averages and price action to signal a coming major move. When the move comes, they would then sell under declining averages and buy above rising averages.

A set of averages can also indicate a coming trend by starting to diverge or spread out. They might also signal a pending trend reversal if they diverge by roughly equal amounts in an already trending market.

I have some free, useful, Generation Moving Average Indicator made by pipmaster that may help you get used to it. Have a look. Trade safe and good luck, guys!

koyl

Trader
May 25, 2015
Moving average can help a trader plan a trading strategy. It a good and easily understandable indicator that is normally used by most traders.

ProFXManager

Active Trader
Jun 7, 2015
Germany
ma's are perfect for mid to long term trend traders, ema was my starting indicator in forex, several years ago.

Ary Barroso

Active Trader
Jul 9, 2017
The link is not working! By the way, I am using moving average trading indictor in my live trading chart (EMA 200) because, it provides me dynamic support and resistance levels so nicely.