The fugitive Onecoin’s Cryptoqueen allegedly holds 230,000 bitcoins

e_abrams

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2020
The main suspect in one of the largest Ponzi schemes ever – Onecoin – Ruja Ignatova, also known as the Cryptoqueen, allegedly holds 230 000 bitcoins, currently worth well over 8 billion USD, court documents, cited by Bitcoin.com reveal.

The documents filed by victims of the Onecoin Ponzi scheme also reveal that Ignatova possibly received the coins from a royal family member in Dubai – Sheikh Al Qassimi – the son of one of the wealthiest men in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), who allegedly handed Ignatova four hard wallets (USB sticks) containing 230 000 Bitcoins worth at the time of the transaction about 50 million USD in exchange for Onecoin bank accounts, other assets, and real estate in the UAE worth over 1 billion USD.

Although few details about the transaction are clear, it is said to have happened in October 2017, when bitcoin was trading at a price of about 6000 USD and Ignatova was already in the focus of an investigation.

On top of that Ruja Ignatova appears to have obtained diplomatic credentials from the United Arab Emirates, which allowed her to travel freely for sometime even after the warrant of her arrest was issued in the United States.

Onecoin started on September 16, 2014 in Bulgaria as a multilevel marketing scheme, where investors were offered a ‘revolutionarry’ new crypto currency – OneCoin, presumably tethered to a blockchain network and advertised as the “Bitcoin killer”.

A few months latter Onecoin was spotted and flagged as a scam by the Bulgarian Financial Supervision Commission (FSC). The institution however, was able to do little about the scam except to warn the public, because although officially headquartered in Bulgaria, Onecoin was registered as an offshore company in Dubai, while its subsidiary – Onelife Network – was registered in Belize.

In the end of 2016 it became clear that no blockchain technology behind Onecoin exists at all, and in 2017 U.S. prosecutors issued a warrant for the arrest of Ruja Ignatova, who subsequently disappeared and is still at large.

Meanwhile, in October 2020 a new movie about the OneCoin Ponzi scam was announced with Kate Winslet playing the main role as the notorious Cryptoqueen.

According to the latest estimates the OneCoin scheme attracted over 5 billion USD from investors around the world.
Source

What is truly amazing to me is how that woman got away with so much and for so long. She still has not been apprehended!

e_abrams

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2020
She is probably sipping wine somewhere and watching Netflix lol.
I've wondered about that. I've seen reports of her being connected to the Russian mob. If it was so she may not be alive any more.
Personally, I hope she's alive, well and will be found and prosecuted one day.

vicjon1995

Active Trader
Sep 29, 2020
I've wondered about that. I've seen reports of her being connected to the Russian mob. If it was so she may not be alive any more.
Personally, I hope she's alive, well and will be found and prosecuted one day.
Is that so? Connection with a Russian mob can definitely increase chances of ending up in the grave. I believe in Karma, she will get what she deserves in one way or other.

e_abrams

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2020
I hope the movie is still happening. With the pandemic going on so many projects fall through, it seems.