Swing trading vs scalping...

effx

Active Trader
Dec 16, 2008
I'm going back and forth on these 2 style of trading.

With swing trading i can target big pips and less stress but with scalping system i only need to target a few pips (small movements)...

Hmm.. which one do you suggest?

joeee85

Active Trader
Dec 18, 2008
What is this forexproindicator? And where can we get it?

Hi Admin , are you sure I can share it here ? cause i do not wanna break the forum's rules . I'm not working for the company nor advertising for this indicator , I'm just sharing something i think it's good . But if any one of you are interested to know about this indicator , feel free to PM me .

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Hi Admin , are you sure I can share it here ? cause i do not wanna break the forum's rules . I'm not working for the company nor advertising for this indicator , I'm just sharing something i think it's good . But if any one of you are interested to know about this indicator , feel free to PM me .
Oh... It's a proprietary indicator. I am not very fond of those. Usually they turn out to be no better than the other free custom indicators.

Karl Strauss

Active Trader
Jan 8, 2009
Hi All,
I disagree with the majority of financial advisors in the world, in my opinion 2009 will be better than the last year, I believe in the program of economic recovery impulse by Bernanke in the US congress and I trust In Obama (He will not to solve all the problems, but unless he will not make too many errors as Bush, ok anybody would make a better job than Bush).
There is hope for the world in 2009, I strongly believe in Friedman´s theory about expectations, if all of us believe in a good wealth in this year, so it will be true.
I also recommend this article, He´s an excellent writer:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123103188733751647.html

Karl Strauss
Harvard University

effx

Active Trader
Dec 16, 2008
i see you guys are more into swing trading. The problem is i read that you need a big account to sustain the draw down because we're targeting at least 50 to 100 pips in bigger time frame.

Sinnerman

Active Trader
Jan 24, 2009
i see you guys are more into swing trading. The problem is i read that you need a big account to sustain the draw down because we're targeting at least 50 to 100 pips in bigger time frame.
Hold on, hold on... If you choose the right broker and you apply proper money management rules, there is absolutely no reason why a swing trader would need a bigger account than a scalper. Trading a $100 position with a 1,000 pip stop loss is essentially the same as trading a $10,000 position with a 10 pip stop loss - in both cases you have exactly $10 at risk. The only difference is that if you include the spread, you actually have a much higher probability of having your 10 pip stop loss hit than the 1,000 pip stop loss, simply because the spread is a much higher percentage of your risk. If the spread is 3 pips, as soon as you enter the trade you will be 3 pips down, which is a big deal if you have a 10 pip stop loss, but not so much of a big deal if you have a 1,000 pip stop loss.

It's all relative. To put it succintly, swing traders generally have a higher probability of their trades achieving success, if you think of the market as nearly random, so a swing trader's "mathematical expectancy" will generally be higher. However, if a scalper manages to produce a viable positive mathematical expectancy, his long-term profitability will generally be higher than a swing traders (not to mention his stress levels). In other words, it is more difficult to produce a profitable scalping system, but IF you manage to do it, then it will most likely be VERY profitable due to the high volume of positive expectancy trades going through.

Last edited:

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
Hi,

After studying market behaviour for a while I have noticed the time where scalping appears to be more successful.

The best time of the day to apply Scalping strategy in Forex broker trading is the opening of London session. Starting at 8:00am GMT and till 9:00am GMT Forex market appears to be more predictable, there are less whipsaws, price movements are more defined.

The two major European currency pairs i like are - EUR/USD and GBP/USD. They are the perfect target for morning Forex scalping. :)

hf1337

Active Trader
Apr 24, 2009
yeah i vote for scalping. however due to the brokers' avoidance about scalping, it's not much usable.

Braeyi

Active Trader
Apr 28, 2009
pls can anyone here help me with an indicator or expert advisor for 5min chat...gbp/usd? and please detail me on how to install it to my meta4 platform. thanks...:)