Scalping or not?

Rambo35

Confirmed PaxForex Representative
Apr 22, 2013
Canada
Scalping in forex trading means taking advantage of currency pair changes over a short period of time. Forex traders that scalp usually use high leverage and aim for less than 10 pips within a few minutes. Scalping is considered like dangerous practice by professional traders. What do you think about that.

globalfx

Trader
Feb 24, 2014
I think scalping is Profitable and less risky. I say this because of the way the trader opens and closes positions. This is unlike the situation where you have to open a trade and get your eyes off it for many hours. Scalper always glue their eyes to their traders and are able to pull out immediately they feel they are losing too much. This is a very profitable strategy, and also a very good reason why many brokers do no allow it.

vicknic

Confirmed ProfiForex Representative
Jan 21, 2014
Netherlands
www.profiforex.com
Scalping is a very slow way to take Profit in forex. For some, it is the best, while others aren't patient enough. Still, it is not an acceptable way of trading for many brokerage firm. Trade wisely.

Rambo35

Apr 22, 2013
Canada
I think scalping is Profitable and less risky. I say this because of the way the trader opens and closes positions. This is unlike the situation where you have to open a trade and get your eyes off it for many hours. Scalper always glue their eyes to their traders and are able to pull out immediately they feel they are losing too much. This is a very profitable strategy, and also a very good reason why many brokers do no allow it.

In forex trading you can scalp as much as you want, and I think scalping is more like gambling than trading which means in the end you will lose.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Think Russian roulette and you would have the apt description for scalping..most of the scalping is done on very short time scales, over periods of extreme volatility..and yes, newbies are advised to avoid scalping for obvious reasons..

Rambo35

Apr 22, 2013
Canada
I agree scalping is a trading strategy, I just don't think it is a good idea for newbies to use it.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Brokers are not scared of traders using scalping strategies but yes, a few brokers do not allow scalping in any form or format.

alexflemj

Active Trader
Nov 9, 2011
Define short periods of time please- 10sec,20sec, 1-2 minutes? I personally have never tried scalping but have been tempted to...

Last edited:

Rockefeller

Master Trader
Jul 12, 2013
London
Scalping should be done with EA. If you start to do scalping manually then there is a big risk that you can't control your emotions if you have a losing streak. (Happened to me 3-4 times when I started)

hermawati

Banned
Jul 1, 2013
indonesia
Yeah, trade scalping using EA is more fast and more efficient,,
I always trade using my Scalping EA, and it have work for me and the money is very secure...

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Define short periods of time please- 10sec,20sec, 1-2 minutes? I personally have never tried scalping but have been tempted to...

LOL, every trader including newbies have been tempted to scalp..as to whether they succeed, well that's another story altogether..

eyeball

Master Trader
Sep 25, 2011
Scalping

Scalping is more a frame of mind rather than a "strategy". Whereas a strategy implies using information and indicators to develop a trading plan scalpers generally rely on their gut reaction to price movement to enter a position and then hope that volatility will give them an opportunity to exit at a profit.You can make money if you've seen enough price action to have developed a knowledge of repetitive chart patterns and their accustomed outcomes, but it can be either very rewarding or catastrophic depending on luck and self discipline. The scalpers credo " my first profit is my best profit" has got to be adhered to.--EB

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
I guess in my case common sense guides me slightly better than my passion for $$$, LOL

I guess that's one of the inherent dangers of being a new trader, the $$$ expectations..believe me, we have all been there and done just that..
There's quite a bit of info on scalping strategies, for advanced traders..not checked it out in detail yet..