PERFECT PC BACKTESTING RIG

nadia

Trader
Aug 12, 2020
Attemtping the fastest MT4 backtest possible; what are your recommendations? Thought about building a gaming PC without the graphics card; is this approach OK?

Enivid

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 30, 2008
Odesa
www.earnforex.com
Please note: MT4 backtesting is garbage compared to MT5 backtesting. Also, it will be much cheaper and faster to backtest using MQL5 cloud network than to build a special-purpose PC for that.

As for your question, having a one-core powerful CPU is the best option for MT4 optimization. You don't need multiple cores as MT4 cannot multi-thread. You don't need much RAM for optimization (unless you have some weird EA that requires a lot of memory for its calculations).

nadia

Trader
Aug 12, 2020
"As for your question, having a one-core powerful CPU is the best option for MT4 optimization. "
THX!!!!! 32+GB Ram SSD capable MotherBoard with powerful processor ; anything else to it that you know?

Last edited:

nadia

Trader
Aug 12, 2020
32GB RAM will be too much unless you have some very memory-intensive algorithm in your EAs (which is unlikely).
Do you also know what processor level is overkill? I know quad core is useless bc its only one core; however i9 intel processor is also likeley overkill saving me a lot of money. What level processor you think is already on the fine line between being unusable / overkill by MT4? Only single core and most powerful CPU /Processor and also motherboard that is not overkill for MT4 tick by tick Backteting which is what? Now I have to see where I can find such specific information as I want the optimal build.

Last edited:

nadia

Trader
Aug 12, 2020
" As for price/efficiency ratio, I would probably go for a used i7 "
Exactly what I needed. THX!!!!!