Most common mistakes in Forex Trading

mumuy

Active Trader
May 3, 2013
Most traders do not make money in trading over the long-run for one simple reason: they trade way too much. One curious fact of trading is that most traders do very well on demo accounts, but then when they start trading real money they do horribly. The reason for this is that in demo trading there is virtually no emotion involved since your real money is not on the line. So, this goes to show that emotion is the number one destroyer of trading success. Traders who over-trade are operating purely on emotion.

Furthermore, another common mistake is not applying risk reward and money management correctly, since risk management is critical to achieving success in the markets. Risk management involves controlling your risk per trade to a level that is tolerable for you. Most traders ignore the fact that they could lose on any trade, if you know and accept that you could lose on any trade. Since, why would you ever risk more than you were comfortable with losing?

george55

Trader
Oct 29, 2013
www.ifcmarkets.com
To my view traders mainly fail because they don’t have enough trading skills and experience, they are not able to control their emotions and what is most important they fail because of risk management. Risk management is the most important facet of investing. It’s the one that virtually all investors don’t care about or don’t even really think about.

Rambo35

Confirmed PaxForex Representative
Apr 22, 2013
Canada
I think plenty of new traders make the mistake that they think they can learn how to trade in a demo account and once they go live they do not fund their accounts with sufficient capital. They follow what is popular and what the majority does and fail to understand that the majority does fail as traders.

mumuy

Active Trader
May 3, 2013
I agree, since in demo-account there is no emotion involved. And once they tried the real account, they fail because of the emotion involved in trading on a real account is real stressful.

gracieJJ

Trader
Nov 8, 2013
^true, in demo, when you lose, you just lose. but in real accounts, when you lose, most beginner's mentality(including mine) is "i should get that money back" and end up losing more than they already have

jimcarter

Active Trader
Nov 10, 2017
USA
5 common mistakes forex traders make
  • Not having a trading plan.
  • Not enough research.
  • Ignoring economic data and news events.
  • Hoping bad trades will come good.
  • Taking quick profits and missing out on larger gains.
  • Forex trading mistake overviews.

Jul 19, 2021
Biggest mistake is lack of discipline and dedication towards trading.Many traders lose their money because they trade on every market condition without any research.

Dutchy86

Trader
Sep 27, 2020
A lot of people go for the big money early doors, you’ll soon learn from this. If you go in again you would of gained more knowledge and be in a better place second time around.

Jul 20, 2021
Panic selling even if the market contracts a few places. I have seen traders selling their positions early and regretting later as soon as the prices go up again.

e_abrams

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2020
I've been there and I've done that so many times. It is, indeed, a big mistakes, but it is so hard to overcome it.

HeavenLeighGill

Active Trader
Aug 5, 2021
Overtrading can definitely cause losses in trading, along with trading with no plan and allowing emptions to interfere. Some don't practice proper risk management and trade with extremely high leverage or even choose not to set a SL, which is never a good idea.

JoshEvansFX

Trader
Jul 7, 2021
Most traders do not make money in trading over the long-run for one simple reason: they trade way too much. One curious fact of trading is that most traders do very well on demo accounts, but then when they start trading real money they do horribly. The reason for this is that in demo trading there is virtually no emotion involved since your real money is not on the line. So, this goes to show that emotion is the number one destroyer of trading success. Traders who over-trade are operating purely on emotion.

Furthermore, another common mistake is not applying risk reward and money management correctly, since risk management is critical to achieving success in the markets. Risk management involves controlling your risk per trade to a level that is tolerable for you. Most traders ignore the fact that they could lose on any trade, if you know and accept that you could lose on any trade. Since, why would you ever risk more than you were comfortable with losing?
Well said! Straight to the point, great to see.

sharabela

Master Trader
Oct 19, 2016
Traders often claim that they made money in demo trading but lost in live trading. If you ask them to evaluate, you will find that they lost in demo trading too. They did not count those or thought it just happened. If a trader makes money in demo trading with a solid strategy, he may be able to make money in live trading too. On the other hand, if he can not make money in demo trading, no way he would be able to make consistent profit in a live account.