If Your'e Not In, You Can't Win

NarritiveFx

Trader
Dec 9, 2013
Hong Kong
If we compare trading with other traditional businesses, actually there is not much difference between them.

If I want to sell a potato (just the one, I'm in the middle of a binary mash-up here), I have to buy said spud (with, like, a currency) at a cheaper price, and then sell my tuber at a reasonable profit. You would hope.

Well, traders do the same thing. They buy hope with the base currency (and just a soupcon of fervent prayers) at a good price. When the price gets better, they sell it or vice versa. That means trading is just like other traditional businesses that we have around.

Except, of course, you can't parboil equity.

So, to earn money by trading one needs to understand the forex market. I need to study and apply learning (so many mistakes, so little time) over and over again to be able to turn the numbers around in my favor.

Gambling does not require a gambler to be well-trained – is this true? I dunno. What about poker, doesn't that require skill?

Anyways, in most cases, gambling is all about prediction - calculation or education does not play a part (did I mention poker? Oh, right...). In fact, the more illogical trend a gambler takes the more options he has of winning (and losing).

A forex trader does not need to do this. He can make money by taking a very logical route (trend trading strategy, say) with all kinds of safety and precautions, like a fire officer inspecting a Durex productions facility (a bit like watching Willem Dafoe copping it in Platoon, but with less Adagio for Strings and more Justin Bieber – whose straining, tight-collared enthusiasm for cutting-edge entertainment – think Mylie Cyrus draped in nothing but a transparent veil of mortification – is more redolent of a last-minute motivational speaker at a forex expo, exhorting us all to smash our quarterly trading targets and stop playing silly buggers with the COT Report).

See, gambling has no time for that nonsense, gambling is deadly serious.

But trading?

A trader needs to learn a lot of things, and he has to apply his experience and lessons to be able to make money, consistently.

It is the skill of trading that brings money for traders. Luck might play a factor to some extent. However, for gamblers luck is the main factor in most cases.

Emibluz

Banned
Aug 22, 2013
It is the skill of trading that brings money for traders. Luck might play a factor to some extent. However, for gamblers luck is the main factor in most cases.

You are absolutely correct. Luck is the only driving force for gamblers, but Forex is a serious business where only a few gamble with it and lose big in the end.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
No arguments here, the skill is something that can only be learned by hours and hours of actual trading - kind of a paradox, but that's the only way to actually learn trading with the "sink or swim" methodology..

Rambo35

Confirmed PaxForex Representative
Apr 22, 2013
Canada
I just want to point out that traders never win, they earn money. Only gamblers win money.