Hackers steal over $600 million in crypto coins, return half of them back and say it’s all done “for fun”

e_abrams

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2020
A hacker behind one of the largest crypto thefts, which cost Poly Network users more than 600 million USD, says it’s all done “for fun”, after returning about half of the funds on Wednesday.

Earlier this week hackers exploited a flaw in Poly Network’s code – a decentralized finance platform – which allowed them to steal over 610 million USD in what is estimated to be one of the biggest hacker attacks in the crypto history.

Decentralized finance or DeFi for short, a fast growing trend within the crypto industry, connects different block chains, allowing them to work together.

After the hack Poly Network asked the hackers to return the funds back and miraculously half of the money were truly returned by Wednesday.

In a Q and A session embedded within one of the crypto transactions, which transferred the funds back to Poly Network, a person claiming to be one of the hackers behind the attack said they had done it all “for fun”.

“When spotting the bug, I had a mixed feeling. Ask yourself what to do had you facing so much fortune. Asking the project team politely so that they can fix it? Anyone could be the traitor given one billion!”, the hacker said, adding that “I can trust nobody! The only solution I can come up with is saving it in a _trusted_ account while keeping myself _anonymous_ and _safe_.”

As for why the hackers returned some of the money back, the answer is: “That’s always the plan! I am _not_ very interested in money! I know it hurts when people are attacked, but shouldn’t they learn something from those hacks?”
Source
They are clearly so uninterested in money they stole 300 million USD. I really doubt "fun" was the purpose here, although with people like that I also don't doubt they enjoyed rubbing it their victims' faces too, on top of the money. It's just terrible however you look at it. :(