Forex Tips: Don't ever try to pick absolute tops and bottoms

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
I know of traders that have an addiction with this. They always look to pick the absolute bottom or top and ride the market on the reversal. They succeed one or twice but eventually suffer a big hit. If you can't help it and you want to try and look for those huge turning points in the market at least use some sort of confirmation. Don't just guess "this is the top" or "this is the bottom".

ChartSecret

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2009
www.chartsecret.com
I do not agree.

When a trader has no experience and no knowledge of chart patterns or support and resistance - you are completely right. I would say that this trader should not attempt any trading at all.

However, as you gain knowledge and experience, you will find out that chart patterns give you early signals or reversal, and in many cases you will be able to pin point the exact reversal points for price. Identifying bottoms and tops is possible, it just needs experience.

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
Hi buddy....

Well.... experience is important in all the fields where money is involved. What i meant was to learn to spot opportunities. Try to find the suitable long-term or short term trends, then move up from there to daily charts, and then to time entries.

Sofia

Master Trader
Jun 20, 2009
But how do we know when the price trend is at absolute top and when its the absolute top?? Any special indicators that can can tell us? I dont know, sorry for the dump question, but i am a newbie in live forex trading...

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
But how do we know when the price trend is at absolute top and when its the absolute top?? Any special indicators that can can tell us? I dont know, sorry for the dump question, but i am a newbie in live forex trading...

You can determine it very well by looking at a high range price trend charts.

dvwilliams

Active Trader
Aug 4, 2009
Would any historical benchmarks aid in determining a top?

S.gif

S.gif

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
It depends on your definition of catching Bottoms and Tops. You may try to catch them if you have a strong enough pattern (Fibonacci or other Chart-based) that can lead to the reversal. Also, look for some minor confirmation before entry. This is a rule you must follow.

You are absolutely right, trading is about recognizing long and short opportunities. Many people have the problem of shorting. They have the problem of profiting when the market is going down. They are taught through life that you make money when markets go up. As a currency trader you don't care if the currency market is going up or down, if there is an opportunity to make money you take it, that’s your job.

forextrading

Active Trader
Sep 3, 2009
however Pinalli is right... I request you all to not trade by seeing the top & bottoms.= of Stochastic Oscillators.

Only 2 things require to get success in Forex Market

1. Discipline
2. Practice

If you have both, you can WIN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinalli

Master Trader
Jan 31, 2009
however Pinalli is right... I request you all to not trade by seeing the top & bottoms.= of Stochastic Oscillators.

1. Discipline
2. Practice

Hey there,

Thanks so much for agreeing. Discipline and practice are the important aspects for success but unfortunately some traders dont follow them.

fxp

Banned
Oct 1, 2009
Good tip - attempting to catch these tops and bottoms leads many traders to very big losses. I have couple of good friends who have donated a great part of their money to this cause.. the market does not forgive this arrogance.

Sofia

Master Trader
Jun 20, 2009
Well, i will say - Take note of all the things you have done for the day. In the future, your financial diary can help you review the things that worked and did not work in the past. With these, you will be able to distinguish what strategies you should be replicating and which ones you should be letting go right away.

Chunnel

Active Trader
Nov 30, 2009
Well, i will say - Take note of all the things you have done for the day. In the future, your financial diary can help you review the things that worked and did not work in the past. With these, you will be able to distinguish what strategies you should be replicating and which ones you should be letting go right away.

The only downside is that the market also changes every day.
So systems that have been succesfull in the past aren't a guarantee that they will work in the future without modifications.

anna575

Active Trader
Aug 17, 2010
Hello

Hey, Nice tips of Forex. I agree with it. You can get success by 2 things:
Discipline and Practice. You can follow these rules which is helpful for you. I found this information pretty useful for those who are starting this days on forex. Good Work...:confused:

Ary Barroso

Active Trader
Jul 9, 2017

1. Discipline
2. Practice

Please add another point, a good trading system! Without a proper system, the path is too sticky,