Do you prefer high or low volatility?

FoxyFoxy

Dec 10, 2016
Low volatility is quite nice. I like to when the price goes sideways and ranges. I just sell at highs and buy at lows. Nice tight stop loss and conservative profit target.

FoxyFoxy

Dec 10, 2016
I still like low volatility for scalping. Smaller stops and with only a little bit of price movement there is a very high probability that a small TP will be hit

Robian

Active Trader
Sep 22, 2016
Jakarta
I still like low volatility for scalping. Smaller stops and with only a little bit of price movement there is a very high probability that a small TP will be hit
What do you mean low volatility? Isn't it better when market is volatile for scalpers?

Winjak

Active Trader
Sep 22, 2016
Jakarta
What do you mean low volatility? Isn't it better when market is volatile for scalpers?
Too high isn't so good too... Just imagine how can you predict the price on a highly volatile market? It's difficult. So, moderate one is the best.

Robian

Active Trader
Sep 22, 2016
Jakarta
Too high isn't so good too... Just imagine how can you predict the price on a highly volatile market? It's difficult. So, moderate one is the best.
I see, but i'm still interested if scalping is effective when the market has low volatility, as I thought that for short-term trades sharp movements of price are better

inggo

Banned
Jan 13, 2012
Philippinese
well guess im more of an action guy on certain pairs, yet i would like to have steady movement on some of my swings, as long as they actually come with some profit on my lmfx account then its good.

jameswilliam

Trader
Jan 31, 2017
I think high volatility is more suitable for the traders in forex market. Traders in this market act upon the price moves. They buy low and sell high or sell high and buy low to earn the difference between the prices. Hence, high volatility leads to large gap in prices thereby making traders earn large profits.

darren greg

Trader
Feb 2, 2017
Hello everyone. Good topic for discussion. And I see different opinions here. Increased risks should be considered when high volatility. I think that the high volatility - is mutually sharp thing. I prefer to trade at normal conditions on the majors. I rarely trade on the news.

High volatility generates higher profit opportunities but it also carries high risk. With a proper risk management system it can bring profits to the traders.

Martin Gaptil

Trader
Mar 5, 2017
News trading is my favorite, that’s way keen volatile market is my 1st choice! But if you are a novice trader and don’t sure about technical and fundamental analysis, then would suggest you to use only non-volatile market! Try to involve here gradually, right now high voltage news sessions are not appropriate for you, know your strength first!

Robian

Active Trader
Sep 22, 2016
Jakarta
News trading is my favorite, that’s way keen volatile market is my 1st choice! But if you are a novice trader and don’t sure about technical and fundamental analysis, then would suggest you to use only non-volatile market! Try to involve here gradually, right now high voltage news sessions are not appropriate for you, know your strength first!
Well... I find trading news too risky... though I 'm on forex for already nearly a year. And I understand technical analysis quite good. nevertheless, I prefer to keep my money safer and not get so risky profit... but earn more in medium term

ashouq

Active Trader
Feb 21, 2017
Forex market most of the times become crazy and unpredictable to trade and only those traders who are experienced in trading makes their way to generate profits. New traders like me most of the time ends up in negative balance.

jellyeb

Active Trader
Jun 10, 2015
High volatility provides us with more opportunities to earn, because price fluctuations is what makes different between your entry and exit price and lead to profits or losses. Although heavy volatility may cause some confusions in its interpretation as markets are basically in a mess during that.

s.taylor

Apr 6, 2017

Agreed novice trader should be very careful while entering the forex market. Trading in low or high volatility totally depends upon the trading strategy of a particular trader. High volatility is suitable to you as you like news trading. But others must not jump in like this; they must consider that highly volatile market also involves high risks which should be managed before through proper risk management system.

renez

Trader
Apr 8, 2017
I prefer trading on currency pairs, and it's logical that for me it's easier to trade when there's active movement on forex, because I like longterm deals.

Robian

Active Trader
Sep 22, 2016
Jakarta
I prefer trading on currency pairs, and it's logical that for me it's easier to trade when there's active movement on forex, because I like longterm deals.
I agree that majors are easier to predict, that's why I choose them either. and the news impact if nearly obvious

JuliaB

Trader
Apr 20, 2017
Everything depends on the trading strategy you choose, and in some cases, high volatility may be even more favorable for trading than a low volatility. One should always keep in mind, though, that high volatility means high risks and increased possibility of losses in comparison with the normal conditions.