Daily Market Analysis by HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
[URL deleted]

ES-W.png

I suggested in my previous [URL deleted] that the market could be correcting lower. This was based on both technical and sector analysis. On February 25th I wrote: over the last six trading days the money flows have been once again favouring the Utilities and Health Care sectors over all the other sectors, while Energy and Financials have lagged the most. All this put together indicates that we could see the S&P 500 slowing down and possibly correcting lower in the course of the next few trading days. Index was trading at 2011.25 points at the time of my analysis and is trading at the time of writing at 2098.75 (-87 points).

Today’s an NFP Friday and the markets are likely to be in a waiting mode as the unemployment readings are important indicators for the Fed in deciding the timing of the first rate hike. Consensus expectation is 240K new jobs and should the number deviate strongly to the downside it’d be likely that the Fed would be more patient and delay the start of the rate hikes. Another important data point is the Average Hourly Earnings which will give an indication on the ability of consumers to consume. The Nonfarm Payrolls, Average Hourly Earnings, Labour Force Participation Rate and Unemployment Rate for the month of February are published today at 13:30 GMT. For other economic releases, see the HotForex Economic Calendar [URL deleted]here.

The last two weekly bars have been narrow bodied Dojis. This indicates lack of demand and increases probabilities that this market will correct lower. As there has been no upside momentum over the last two weeks, Stochastics is overbought and turning lower. In addition, the upper Bollinger Bands are near and have been limiting upside. Support and resistance levels in weekly picture are: 2062.50, 2088.75 and 2117.75.

ES-D.png

S&P 500, Daily

After wedging a bit at the time of my previous analysis S&P 500 e-mini future (ES) moved out of the rising regression channel. Price has been supported by the pivot high at 2088.75 and 23.6% Fibonacci level with a new resistance at the latest high (2117.75). Support at 2062.50 coincides with the lower Bollinger Bands and the 38.2% Fibonacci retracement. Should ES correct further the next important support level is 2020.50. The fact that price has been reacting higher from the proximity of 2088.75 level in suggests that this level is seen as an important support.

ES-240.png

S&P 500, 240 min

Index futures have attracted buyers at 2085 area but the resistance from both the descending trendline and the previous support at 2101 level have this far blocked the moves higher. At the time of writing there isn’t much momentum to either direction as market waits for the NFP release but the moves from 2085 have been strong (hammer candles). This suggest there will be buyers at this level today. Should this level be broken the next support level at 2062.50 coincides roughly with the 1.618 Fibonacci extension level. It is also a former resistance which adds to the significance of this level.

Conclusion:

In the longer term picture US stock market is now fairly overbought and the last two weeks’ weekly narrow body candles indicate that there is not much willingness to pay higher prices for equities but no strong need to sell off either. At the same time technology, the heaviest sector in the S&P 500 index is close to channel top and Apple the heaviest weighted stock in this sector looks like it could correct lower after a bearish weekly candle last week. Even if this correction takes place I still believe this market can move higher and therefore look for buying opportunities at support levels.

Technicals and macro view are giving a slightly mixed message: if the employment numbers are weak the Fed is likely to start rate hikes later which would be good for the stock market. However, at the same time strong employment numbers would indicate an improving economy, which again is a reason to stay long in Stocks. Market reactions to today’s NFP release are therefore an important indicator of things to come in the near future. If market finds support either at 2085 or 2062.50 and reacts higher with good momentum (that takes ES into new highs) the technical picture stays positive and supports the long term bullish view.

In regards to short term trading ideas I am looking for minor time frame reversal signals at the above mentioned support and resistance levels once the employment numbers are released and the market is likely to have some volatility again. Market is not likely to move strongly before the employment release later on today. Should there be no strong deviation from the consensus expectation the nearest technical levels will be honoured but higher deviation from expectations will be translated into stronger whipsaws in price. If the latter is the case, then momentum reversal traders should be looking to trade levels further away from the current price.

Join me on Live Analysis Webinar on Tuesday 10th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. Register [URL here]HERE for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat!

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Disclaimer: Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of purchase or sale of any financial instrument.

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
GBPUSD Hit The Target And Returned To Recent Lows

In depth Daily Market ‪Analysis‬ by ‪‎HotForex‬ Chief Analyst Janne Muta.

GBPUSD-W1.png

In my previous analysis in GBPUSD from February 6th I took a view that with such a show of strength as we had seen in the market the only logical conclusion was to look for buying opportunities until there was price action based evidence to the contrary. Retracements to support levels should be monitored for momentum reversal signals. I pointed to 1.5487 to 1.5541 as a target area for successful swing entries. The pair overshoot the area by 11 pips before it turned lower again and formed a weekly shooting star candle providing the price action based evidence to switch the bias from long to short. It has now reached levels that are a potential buy level.

After Friday’s upsurge in the US Dollar index (caused by a surprisingly positive NFP reading) GBPUSD price has moved down to levels where it started its up move in the beginning of February. This area coincides with the lower weekly Bollinger Bands and higher end of the downward regression channel. RSI (7) is diverging suggesting bullishness at current levels. This combination of technical factors has caused a move higher today confirming that buyers are still interested to bet for Sterling at these levels. This price action looks very much like a bottoming process and the fact it takes place in weekly time frame adds to its significance. With relatively strong economic output and well developing job market the UK is at the moment one of the strongest economies globally and we could see a rate hike in the latter half of this year. This is reflected in the GBPUSD. We will have more comments on the UK economy tomorrow as Bank of England’s Governor Mark Carney will speak at 14:35 GMT.

GBPUSD-D1.png

GBPUSD, Daily

In the daily chart GBPUSD moved deep below the lower Bollinger Bands suggesting the price was very much oversold on Friday evening. The Stochastics and RSI confirmed the idea and are now beginning to point higher. In the daily time frame this market is now ranging sideways and we should therefore look for trading opportunities at the edges of the range. The lower end of the range obviously is where we look for buy opportunities while the upper end of the range at or close to the February high can work as an area for short term long trade exits or short entries (should the price action so indicate). The 1.5036 is a high for a pivot candle at the bottom of the range and therefore points to the region of potential support. This level has already supported price in the beginning of February and seems to attract buyers now as well. The previous support at 1.5220 is now likely a resistance area.

GBPUSD-2401.png

GBPUSD, 240 min

Four hour chart shows how Friday’s move lower was an overshoot as price extended from the trend defined by the regression channel. Now price has reacted higher from 1.5036 support and retraced back to the channel bottom where it is showing signs of weakness. The 0.382 Fibonacci level coincides with the 1.5220 resistance while the 0.618 level is at same levels with a former minor support (now potentially a resistance) and the upper Bollinger Bands.

Conclusion

Even though the DXY is moving into new highs GBPUSD is still above the January lows after it moved above more than 12% from the January lows to February highs. Weekly chart is telling to longer term position traders that this market is possibly in a bottoming process as the price has moved out of the downward sloping trend channel, moved past four weekly highs and is now finding support just above the recent support area. Such an increase in volatility is usually a sign of a trend change. Shorter term traders could benefit from the longer term price action by trading the swings between the range edges using the support and resistance levels provided above.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Disclaimer: Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of purchase or sale of any financial instrument.

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
[URL deleted]EURGBP Setups Have Made Hundreds of Pips.

EURGBP-W1.png

We got it right again in EURGBP. The pair rallied to a resistance level I gave in my last analysis and has then sold off heavily. My view on March 2nd EURGBP analysis was that out of major EUR crosses, it is the EURGBP that is the weakest and therefore makes it an ideal market to sell the rallies. I wrote then that the zone from 0.7300 to 0.7314 is an area we should be looking for momentum reversal signals as the channel midline and the upper Bollinger Bands coincide with the zone. EURGBP rose to 0.7301 on that day and has since dropped over 200 pips. We have now had two very good sell signals in EURGBP lately. The first sell signal as per my analysis came at just below 0.7596 and now the other in proximity of 0.7301. My analysis and the signals that I teach in my webinars have made several hundred pips in EURGBP for our traders. If you would like to learn how to catch moves like this you are welcome to join me to free webinars.

As the EURGBP is basically collapsing at the time of writing the weekly picture does not provide us with a lot to analyse. With trend lower indicators are oversold and price is hugging the lower Bollinger Bands. The nearest weekly support and resistance levels are 0.7022 a former resistance level from 2006 and 2007 and the last week’s low at 0.7183.

EURGBP-D1.png

EURGBP, Daily

Price has extended below the regression channel and has for the first time since January 26th closed outside the lower Bollinger Bands. This suggests that the trend has moved too far too quickly. This increases probabilities for a corrective move against the prevailing trend over the coming few days.

EURGBP-2401.png

EURGBP, 240 min

EURGBP trend is extended in 4h chart as well. In case there will be a move against the trend over the coming few days potential resistance levels that could turn price lower again are 0.7130 and 0.7180. The lower level is clearly a minor resistance level as it is a spot where price tried to hold the channel bottom. This caused a sideways move visible in the 60 min chart and could act as a resistance should the market be weak.

Conclusion
As long as the market keeps on moving lower and there is no price based evidence to the contrary there is no hurry to close the short trades. Exception to this would be price hitting the 0.7022 support level which could well bounce the price higher and therefore is a logical target level. Price is in a downtrend and we should be looking to sell rallies as long as the approach works. However, once the 0.7022 target is hit the pair is at a major consolidation level and selling rallies might get trickier. Currently I am looking at 0.7130 and 0.7180 as potential shorting levels in case there is a rally higher and 0.7022 area as a target for short trades.

Join me on Free Webinar on Tuesday 17th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. I will show you live how to analyse the markets and look for setups for high probability trades. Register for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat!

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
[URL deleted]

CADJPY-W.png

CADJPY has weakened substantially since November last year and has over the last weeks bounced higher from a support at 91.78. The support is loosely defined by the lower Bollinger Bands and a pivot candle from March 2014. Last week price reacted lower from a weekly low creating a shooting star candle and confirming a resistance level at 96.74. A couple of weeks ago the pair bounced from 94.17 forming a support level.

CADJPY-D.png

DCADJPY, Daily

There was a shooting star last week in the daily chart as well. CADJPY has since then moved sideways between resistance at 96.74 and a rising trendline. The resistance coincides roughly with 38.2% Fibonacci level (drawn from December 2014 high to the January 2015 low) and upper Bollinger Bands. Bollinger Bands are narrowing which indicates that the pair is nearing a breakout but to which direction? The last two days indecision is clearly visible in the chart. Stochastic Oscillator is close to being oversold and is about to cross over its signal line. This together with the rising trendline encourages the bulls but the above shooting stars and resistance that are relatively close dampens the enthusiasm.

CADJPY-240.png

CADJPY, 240 min

The pair has been making lower highs and breaking support levels since the move to 96.74 was rejected. Fluctuations created a triangle that was resolved to the downside and provided one shorting opportunity on a rebound as the pair tested the lower end of the triangle and failed to penetrate it. Since then we have had a new lower low and lower high as the pair has been moving towards the lower end of the range. Projection from triangle points to 50% Fibonacci level (near 94.17 support). Should that support fail the next interesting support level is at 93.03 as it coincides with a 261.8% Fibonacci extension. I have left the extension levels off from the chart to improve readability.

Conclusion

Trading in the middle of the range is always tricky while the easiest money is made at the edges and the pair is currently trading pretty much in the middle of the range. However, the weekly and daily shooting stars at 96.74 resistance level indicate willingness to sell the CADJPY at those levels while the lower highs and lower lows in 4h chart suggest that the pair should be testing the 94.17 level in not so distant future. This far the 38.2% Fibonacci level and the rising trendline have prevented the price moving lower. In addition there was bullish divergence in the Stochastic Oscillator at the time the pair bounced higher from the trendline. The intraday picture therefore has both bullish and bearish elements while the weekly shooting star points to lower prices from current levels.

The wide range candle from the beginning of February indicates that demand between 91.78 and 94.17 was strong. Quick moves into this area should be therefore met by willingness to bid the pair higher. Should such a quick move happen I would be interested in long signals at or near to the 93.03 support. I will be monitoring the levels close to the upper daily Bollinger Bands (at around 96.20) and the shooting star high.

Join me on Free Webinar on Tuesday 17th of March at 12:30 pm GMT. I will show you live how to analyse the markets and look for setups for high probability trades. Register for FREE and as usual it is better to log in early to get your seat!

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
Copper’s Relative Strenght Due To China

Copper-M1.png

Copper is in a long term bear channel and moved in February to a level that has supported price in the past. This was also the first time since year 2008 that Money Flow Index moved into overbought zone in Monthly timeframe. In February 2007 price touched 2.40 level and moved higher over the next two years. Now there was another bounce from the same level and the price of Copper is on the rise for the second month in a row. The nearest resistance level is approx. at 2.72 while the next major resistance is at 2.88.

Copper-W1.png

Copper, Weekly

Copper (an industrial metal) has been stronger performer than precious metals since the latest US Jobs report came in with a surprisingly high number and strenhgtened the US dollar. While Gold and Silver have declined by almost 3% since March 5th Copper has at the time of writing gained 1.1%. However, the US rate hike expectations mean the US dollar strengthens and buying power amongst non-USD based investors decreases for dollar based assets such as Copper. This combined with slowing economic growth in China slows down the Copper bulls and has caused the price to fluctuate below resistance levels. On the other the hand price has held up and even edged higher as market participants believe that easier lending conditions should improve demand in China, the biggest consumer of Copper globally. The price of copper has made two weekly lower highs since touching the 2.72 resistance level (a former support from June 2010) while the MFI (7) is overbought and Stochastics are close to the same levels and hinting that the momentum is waning. This could lead to further fluctuation between the 2.59 support and a high of 2.73 from couple of weeks ago. Other support levels are 2.55 and 2.40, a high and low of the January pivot candle high and low.

http://analysis.hotforex.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Copper-D1.png

Copper, Daily

The price of copper is near to the upper Bollinger Bands and Stochastics is getting overbought. Price has just recently bounced from a support at 2.59 forming yet another higher low. This was technically a good sign as it confirmed the level that used to resist price moves higher is now a support. The fact that this level now coincides with the lower daily Bollinger Bands makes it more significant support area.

Conclusion

Fundamental factors that both support the price of Copper and resist its move higher translate into a ranging market, price action that honours the technical levels at both ends of the range. Levels near to 2.59 support level used to resist moves higher and are now providing support while the move to 2.72 resistance was rejected. This suggests that short term traders should look for trade opportunities at or close to these levels while longer term position traders might want to consider longs closer to the 2.40 support and shorts closer to the 2.88 resistance levels. This is the likely range copper futures over the coming weeks and months as major news stories or surprises on either the US Federal Reserve’s rate policy or Chinese consumption of Copper they might provide the trigger to move the price of Copper to these levels. Chinese premier Li Keqiang commented that the government will be ready to support the Chinese economy should the slowdown in growth affect employment and incomes. He wasn’t specific on the measures the government might use but a hope of economic stimulus in China should support the price of Copper. Against this backdrop traders might want to be buyers near support levels rather than trying to find shorts. This view would be negated if the US Fed indicated that it would hike rates more than expected. However, it is likely that the Fed will be cautious in raising rates.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
EURUSD: A Daily Shooting Star Pointing To Downside

EURUSD-M.png

EURUSD has risen over the last two weeks after the Fed Chair Yellen said in her statement that there are worries over the export growth in the US economy due to the strong dollar. Yesterday’s new home sales and CPI figures could didn’t help the pair to push through the resistance at 1.1040.

The dollar rallied in the aftermath of the warmer U.S. inflation report, quickly sold off from there, then dragged itself up through the remainder of the morning session. EURUSD fell to 1.0936 from 1.0995 after the CPI data, before climbing to session highs of 1.1029, and then falling to session lows of 1.0890. U.S. new home sales rebounded 7.8% to 539k in February, much better than expected and the strongest since April 2008. Back months were revised with January boosted to 500k from 481k previously, while December’s 482k was nudged down to 479k. The February overall-CPI was 0.2% (median 0.2%), while the core index was 0.2% (median 0.1%). Year over year growth accelerated to unchanged from -0.1% and the core y/y growth held at 1.7%. January’s was the slowest pace of y/y growth since -0.2% in October ’09. Energy prices grew 1.0%, with a 2.4% gasoline price increase. Food prices were 0.2% after after remaining unchanged last month.

The monthly chart reveals an important trendline support in the region of the recent bounce from 1.0459. This could be a supporting element that keeps the pair from plummeting to parity for some time, especially so if the Fed continues using dovish language in their statements. Important weekly support level in the weekly chart is at 1.0459 while the resistance levels are at 1.1098 and 1.1460.

EURUSD-d.png

EURUSD, Daily

A daily shooting star candle suggests the pair will move lower today. High Stochastics value supports the view. If the market rallies today levels closer to yesterday’s high would be attractive shorting levels.Support area from 1.0460 to 1.0620 is a reasonable target but it would make sense to close the short trades as price approaches the level at some 20 pips higher.

EURUSD-240.png

EURUSD, 240 min

The pair has moved sideways above the 1.0883 support and over the last two candles below the ascending trendline. The 4h Bollinger Bands (currently at 1.0988 and 1.0240) would be preferable shorting levels but should the support break before price rallies, then smaller timeframe price action should be used to enter the short trades as per my teaching in the webinars.

EURUSD-602.png

EURUSD, 60 min

The resistance (red line) at 1.0938 has been resisting moves higher this morning while EURUSD has made higher lows above the lower Bollinger Bands. This suggests that pressure is building against the 1.0938 minor resistance level and price might well rally towards the potential sell area at 4h Bollinger Bands.

Conclusion

Price reacting lower from a resistance and creating a Shooting Star candle indicates weakness. However, price trading at support and creating higher lows suggests that price might well move higher today and provide an opportunity to look for short signals at 4h Bollinger Bands.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
S&P 500 At Support After 4.67% Drop in SMH

The US stock market declined for a third day in a row yesterday. Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 1.62% while Nasdaq and S&P 500 declined by 2.37% and -1.46% respectively. This has impacted the Asian and European markets today with Nikkei 225 futures in the red by 1.54% Dax futures down by 2.01% at the time of writing. US equity volatility index VIX shot higher yesterday. VIX moved up to 15.44 as NASDAQ -1.6% was sucking the S&P 500 into negative territory. VIX is well up from the previous session lows 12.59. In proximity of the mid-March range index will be hitting the daily Bollinger Bands.

VIX-daily.png

S&P 500 e-mini futures, daily

RSI is indicating that the weekly S&P trend is getting weaker. Momentum has slowed down since December last year and this has led to RSI creating lower highs while the S&P e-mini futures (ES) made and all-time high in February. ES has now created a lower weekly high and retraced back to the 50% Fibonacci level at 2040.

ES-W2.png

ES created a lower high just below the weekly pivot candle and is currently trading at the daily Bollinger Bands and 50% Fibonacci level. This level also coincides with a daily pivot candle from March 13th. Stochastics is getting oversold but a lower high at 2100 is a sign of weakness and could mean that this market moves lower before finding support.

ES-D2.png

Here’s another look at the daily chart with a perspective a bit further away. With ES not being able to move above the February high price has created a bearish wedge is currently moving outside the wedge formation. If current support at 2032 breaks it could mean that the trajectory has changed and we will have a new less steep trend channel that defines the moves over the coming weeks. This would bring the grey trendline into play. Also, should the price stay below the black trendline technical picture would deteriorate substantially.

ES-D11.png

Semiconductor Sector ETF (SMH), Daily

Analysis on US sectors reveals that over the last 10 trading days professional money has been moving away from Financials and Industrials and into Utilities and Health Care stocks. This of course is a bearish fact suggesting that the long only fund managers see the market being weak and feel the need to do what they can to minimize the market impact as they cannot hedge their positions with derivatives. The massive drop in the Semiconductor stocks after a lower high in the index ETF supports this view. However, the support area is getting also relatively close suggesting that the market is not likely to continue in a free fall but will find support over the coming few days. As futures have declined today it is possible that these stocks will open fairly close to the support levels. Picture in the technology and industrials sector ETFs is somewhat similar indicating that they have a bit further to fall before they meet potential support levels.

S&P 500 e-mini futures, 240 min

The down move paused at the rising trendline but the selling pressure prevailed. ES is now approaching the 2032 low with oscillators deeply in the overbought territory and has reacted higher from the support level.

Conclusion

At the time of writing ES is trading at a support level and it remains to be seen if the traders are willing to seriously bid for the market here. Support levels usually lead to at least some sort of rallies but there needs to be follow-through after the initial reaction. In that sense nearby resistance levels can be problematic as they tend to invite selling. There is a resistance level at 2052 while the violated trendline is at 2050. In addition, the 4.67% drop in the Semiconductor stocks could make the market participants careful today. The wedge formation is pretty much violated after today’s move lower. Only if we see a strong rally higher and a close inside the formation is the technical picture salvaged.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
Weekly Hammer At Support Send USDCAD Higher

USDCAD-W.png

USDCAD (weekly) has been moving sideways since the beginning of February. The proximity of the year 2009 high has caused the sideways move. I suggested in my analysis at the time that USDCAD should move above the latest highs as US economy is stronger than the economy in Canada. The fact that USDCAD has maintained the support well and has now created a weekly hammer candle at the support supports my view. Bears might point out that Stochastics oscillator and RSI (7) have created lower highs and therefore signal that the momentum is waning. This however, is what happens each time price moves sideways. Therefore, oscillators do not tell us anything we wouldn’t know by reading price action. Nearest support and resistance levels are at 1.2409 and 1.2835. The year 2009 high at 1.3064 would be the next major resistance once price moves beyond the 1.2835.

USDCAD-D.png

USDCAD, Daily

Price action in the daily chart points to the upside. USDCAD has found support from the area near the 38.2% Fibonacci level and the lower Bollinger Bands. Last week Stochastics moved to oversold territory and the 50 day moving average catched up with the price. Friday’s close well above the hammer candle high was a bullish sign and created a hammer candle in the weekly chart as well.

USDCAD-240.png

USDCAD, 240

After being held back by the 50% Fibonacci level and a pivot high price is now breaking higher. This is very much in line with the bullishness in daily and weekly charts. The pair broken out of the wedge formation and projection from the formation points to the resistance zone between 1.2724 and 1.2760. Support levels are at 1.2621, 1.2531 and 1.2409.

Conclusion

Long term technical picture is bullish as institutional buying has created a hammer candle at the support. The latest weekly low was also higher than the pivot low in the weekly chart from the mid February. Short term picture supports this as price has broken out of a wedge formation in the 4h chart and has closed above the Friday’s daily hammer candle. As the setup in the higher time frames is favourable I am looking for pullbacks to technical levels at 60 and 15 min charts. The range at 1.2724 – 1.2760 is my target for this price move.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
EURUSD Approaching Resistance After NFP Disappointment.

EURUSD-Daily.png

The EURUSD rallied after the combination of a disappointing NFP release, and downward back revisions in the figures. The pair is approaching a resistance area created by a combination of technical factors. The resistance levels of 1.1052 and 1.1098 coincide with 50 day MA and the upper Bollinger Bands. This resistance has been tested twice and after the latest test EURUSD made a higher low. This suggests the pair will be trying to move higher from here. The next important daily resistance levels are closer to the 1.1460 which could well come into play now that the NFP release was such a disappointment. Price action at the resistance levels is going to be interesting to follow. If the pair corrects lower from it I expect the correction to be rather subdued. The surprisingly weak jobs figure means that now the Fed doves have further evidence of softening economy and a better case to postpone the rate hike. This is seen in the markets across the board as the USD is being sold against other currencies across the board.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
EURAUD Bouncing Higher From Support

EURAUD-W.png

EURAUD, Weekly

The pair has been making lower highs and lower lows since December 2014 suggesting that the long term momentum is to the downside. Unless the pair creates a higher low at 1.3725 the weekly picture remains bearish. The 38.2% Fibonacci retracement coincides roughly with the recent pivot high while the 50% level is approximately at level with a pivot candle low (1.4476) from February this year. This suggests to me that the resistance area between 1.4340 and 1.4530 is strong and any near term price advances to the level are likely to be met with selling. Nearest important support levels are at 1.3725 and 1.3190.

EURAUD-D.png

EURAUD, Daily

With the trend to the downside and the pair at support the Stochastics is now oversold. Should today’s candle close above the Friday’s high we’d have both a price based bull signal and Stochastics closing above its 3 period MA (red line). There could be some resistance around the 1.4076 level as it has acted as a support and resistance in the past. Should the pair move beyond this level the next resistance area would be in the region of upper Bollinger Bands and the upper end of the regression channel.

EURAUD-60.png

EURAUD, 60 min

The pair has broken out of the descending regression channel and has since moved above recent reaction highs at 3849 and 3883. Now that EURAUD is retracing back to those levels I expect that there is a good chance market will find support at those levels.

Conclusion

Longer term picture is pointing to the downside as the pair makes lower highs and lower lows. This setup should therefore favour those looking to sell the rallies. Resistance levels between 1.4340 and 1.4530 could work out as short entry level should the market rally there. Short term traders could take advantage of a potential momentum reversal at 1.3849 and 1.3883 with a target at or near 1.4050. Look for momentum reversal signals to confirm the analysis.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
GBPNZD Ranging Above Support

GBPNZD-W.png

GBPNZD, Weekly

The pair has just recently moved higher from weekly support level 1.9379 while another one supported price at 1.9244 sent price higher in the beginning of January. For the last three to four weeks price has been bouncing between this support and a resistance created by a weekly low (at 2.000) from December last year. Stochastics is oversold and price action takes place near lower Bollinger Bands suggesting the pair should have more upside than downside potential. On the bearish side however I should mention the fact that the pair creates lower weekly highs suggesting selling pressure coming in at fairly close to the support. This is not a very bullish sign and could lead to further consolidation at support or eventually price breaking lower.

GBPNZD-D.png

GBPNZD, Daily

Price is reacting lower from a resistance at 1.9700. This resistance is created by a daily pivot candle from April 7th and coincides with a 50% Fibonacci level at 1.9691. Stochastics are pointing higher and the RSI has created a higher low while the latest low at 1.9380 was roughly equal to the low from March this year. This bullish divergence supports the upside bias but the price needs to break above the current resistance in order to create a higher high. Should the pair keep on making lower pivotal highs the pressure against the support would increase and the support could break. It is therefore essential to follow the price action over the coming days.

GBPNZD-240.png

GBPNZD, 240 min

The four hour picture shows in more detail how price has been reacting to the resistance and other technical factors. Price has broken out of the downward sloping channel but has then run into a resistance. After this the pair created a pivot from which it has now reacted lower but has been (over the last two complete bars) been supported by the channel high and a 50 period moving average. Stochastics, RSI and MFI have all rolled over confirming that there isn’t much upside movement or momentum over the last few bars. This suggests the best (low risk) buying opportunities would be at lower levels. As per usual it makes sense to be a buyer at a support and look for selling opportunities at resistances.

Conclusion

Long term picture (next four to six weeks) suggests that this market has more upside than downside potential as it is trading near an important support area and has been consolidating above it. However, should this sideways movement keep on for an extended period of time the probability that the market will move lower does increase. Also, I don’t like the fact that we have lower weekly highs. This kind of price action is not bullish as it suggests indecisiveness in this market. We would need to see price starting to build a series of higher lows and breaking above the previous weekly highs in order to get a confirmation for the upside biased long term view. The short term picture (from intraday to next few days) has a bullish element as it has broken out of the downward channel but price is currently trading just below a resistance level. As we should always look for selling opportunities at resistance levels and buying opportunities at supports I am keeping an eye on smaller time frame sell signals at 240 min Bollinger Bands and look for buy signals in the region of 1.9460 support.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
Weekly chart: Gold’s likely to move lower

Gold-W.png

In my latest Gold analysis from March 18th I wrote: These levels are exactly the levels that attracted buyers in Q4 2014 which suggests that there might still be some demand for Gold just below the current price. However, the psychology might have changed since December last year. Strong growth in the US labour market we have seen since then coupled with the rate hike expectations could lead to Gold breaking the support this time around. I am not taking a view that it will happen as support is support as long as it works. A close above yesterday’s high at 1159.30 would be a positive signal while a close above the 1165.70 resistance in would improve it even further. This would warrant buying intraday dips after over the coming few days with a target at 1190.

Now we’ve seen Gold closing moving higher from the support level and hitting my target at 1190. In addition, this market has moved beyond the target and turned lower at 1224.50 resistance. At the same time Gold created a bar with a narrow range between the open and closing prices hinting a move lower. This has since then materialised and Gold has moved lower this week. This is suggesting further moves lower in the coming two weeks or so. The next important weekly support is likely to be found near the lower weekly Bollinger Bands and 1131.50 to 1142 range. Long term picture is still bearish while in the medium term I expect Gold to move sideways between the above mentioned support and resistance levels.

Gold-D.png

Gold, Daily

In the daily picture Gold is trading close to the 50% Fibonacci level and the Stochastics are getting close to the oversold levels. This suggests that the move lower over the last few days could slow down a bit. Yesterday we saw a rally from the 50% Fibonacci level but..
Read the full analysis here: http://analysis.hotforex.com/blog/2015/04/15/weekly-chart-golds-likely-to-move-lower/

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
CRUDE LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BE BOTTOMING

Crude-and-DXY-inverted.png

Crude oil and Inverted DXY, Daily

In my analysis from February 5th I suggested that the crude oil could be close to levels it might bottom out. At the time I wrote: The price of oil has collapsed with the strengthening dollar and has reached levels that were last seen in the later stages of the financial crisis in 2008. This suggests that the current levels are deeply oversold both fundamentally and technically. The world economy is certainly slowing down but it is in a better shape than it was in the first quarter of 2009 when the US crude oil futures dropped to $33.35. Therefore, it makes sense to expect crude oil to be relatively close to the levels it could find a bottom.

Now it does look like crude oil is indeed bottoming. Since January price has moved sideways and even shown some relative strength against the USD. As crude is priced in the US dollars any up moves in the US Dollar Index (DXY) should mean the price of oil goes down. However, since the end of January DXY has move higher while crude has moved sideways and has therefore showed some relative strength. As can be seen from the above chart with crude oil in black and inverted DXY in blue the strength of crude was really taken to new levels at the midway of March. Together with the fact that the crude oil has been trading levels close to the 2009 low suggests to me that we are witnessing bottoming action in the price of crude.

Crude-W.png

Crude oil, Weekly

Since forming a hammer candle in March the price of crude oil has been trending higher and making consecutive higher closes. Now price has moved well beyond the 53.60 resistance level. This confirms the bullishness and suggests that the price has bottomed. After such a long sideways move and relative strength against the DXY it is now more likely that price will find buyers if it retraces back to the support levels. Now that the Stochastics is indicating crude is getting overbought the next challenge for buyers is likely to be around the 23.6% Fibonacci level and the upper Bollinger Bands that are nearby. The most important support levels are at 53.60 and 46.53.

Crude-D.png

Crude oil, Daily

Price is trending higher in a channel and has with yesterday’s rally moved outside the upper Bollinger Bands. This suggests that the market is getting overbought in the short term. Stochastics are in the overbought territory supporting the indication from Bollinger Bands. Also, price is getting close to the channel top. The support at 53.60 looks like a logical retracement level and it coincides roughly with 23.6% Fibonacci level. I have not drawn the Fibs on the chart to maintain a better readability. Should the 53.60 support fail to hold, the next potential support level is at 50.25.

Crude-240.png

Crude oil, 240 min

Price has reacted with a shooting star candle and is now inside the upper Bollinger Bands. This suggests the corrective could be already underway. Stochastics support the idea as they are overbought and pointing lower.

Conclusion

Long term picture is bullish with the price of oil showing clear signs of market bottoming. In medium term, ie the daily trend crude is bound to move higher but might retrace first. The intraday picture is overbought and therefore bearish. I look for correction lower intraday and then keep an eye on 53.60 support region for buy signals.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
DXY Is Getting Close To Support

DXY-W.png

DXY, Weekly

US Dollar Index (DXY) represents a basket of currencies in which the US dollar is valued. These include major currencies with different weights: EUR (57.6%), JPY (13.6%), GBP (11.9%), CAD (9.1%), SEK (4.2%) and CHF (3.6%). With euro having the highest weighting analysis made on DXY will have the greatest indication for EURUSD trading.

Since March this year momentum indicators have been moving lower reflecting the fact that price has not been making new higher highs anymore. Until recently Stochastics and RSI have been moving above the overbought threshold but now are pointing lower and have moved closer to neutral values. In a price chart that means the latest price action is taking closer to the middle of the recent range. DXY has been correcting lower this week and is now close to the 50% Fibonacci retracement level. This ties up with the indication from the oscillators. Price is also approaching an accelerated trendline support but has created a lower high which suggests that price could be moving sideways over the coming weeks.

DXY-D.png

DXY, Daily

Both Stochastics and RSI are close to oversold levels with the latter attempting to tick higher at the time of writing. Price has reached a pivot candle from April 6th and is fairly close to a rising trendline support. This suggests that the downside is getting limited and we should be looking for buy signals for the dollar at levels at or below the current price. Nearest support and resistance levels are 97.46 and 99.46 which also coincides with the upper Bollinger Bands. Should the 97.46 support not hold the DXY the next important support level can be identified in the 4h chart at 97. The 50 day MA is currently in the region as well with a value of 97.08. This increases the validity of the level.

DXY-240.png

DXY, 240

As DXY has been trending down over the last three days there has also been some wedging in the price. This suggests that there is some resistance for dollar moving lower, especially since price came to the low of 98.07 yesterday. At the moment the 61.8% Fibonacci resistance level has been acting as a resistance for rallies today. Price is moving closer to 97.46 support level which it has already almost touched once and bounced higher. Stochastics, RSI and MFI are oversold which supports the view that this market is near to buy levels. If the 97.46 doesn’t hold then the next support level at 97 should come into play but I am interested in price action based buy signals even between the levels.

Conclusion

In the longer term picture it is clear that the Fed speak turning dovish in March has taken steam out of the DXY rally and the index has been moving sideways. Price has created a lower high which suggests weakness and that DXY could be moving sideways over the coming weeks. But in a shorter term picture DXY is close to support levels and we should therefore be looking for buy signals the dollar. This obviously means looking for sell signals in markets like AUDUSD (close to a resistance), NZDUSD (also at resistance). At the same time USDJPY is at support. Should the price action confirm my analysis this could be a time to favour USD over other currencies. Later on today we will have the CPI numbers from US and this could cause some action should there be a strong deviation from analysis expectations.

You will find today’s economic calendar with the highest impacting events only. Please visit HotForex.com for full calendar.

EC1.png

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
GBPJPY Reacts Lower From Channel Top

GBPJPY-W.png

GBPJPY, Weekly

The pair has been ranging between 175 support and 179.29 resistance over the last three weeks. At the same time Stochastic oscillator has moved to oversold territory and is trying to move higher indicating the downside momentum is weak and might be reversing. This is consistent with the pair being close to support. Additionally, the sideways move has caused the lower Bollinger Bands to draw closer to the current price action and the weekly price bar lows have been moving along the 1.5 Standard deviations Bollinger Band. Until two weeks ago the 50 week moving average has been able to send price significantly higher but now this market fluctuates on both sides of the average. This suggests that the market is less decisive than previously toughing these price levels.

GBPJPY-D.png

GBPJPY, Daily

Since March 18th GBPJPY has been moving lower in a bearish channel with the March consolidation between 178.80 and 180.08 resisting attempts to move higher. On Friday the pair reacted from the trendline and upper Bollinger Bands creating a shooting star candle. Today we’ve seen some follow through with bears pushing the pair below Friday’s low. This suggests momentum is currently to the downside.

Daily pivot candle high from April 14th coincides with the lower daily Bollinger Bands and could slow the moves lower (at 176.40). Stochastics and RSI are not at overbought levels but they are at levels where they turned lower the last time, and that’s when price turned lower as well. Oscillators do not determine where the price moves to but in context that price is reacting lower from a descending channel top it supports the general idea of price potentially moving lower.

GBPJPY-240.png

GBPJPY, 240

In the intraday chart GBPJPY can be seen moving below the rising trendline that supported price since April 14th. Price has since corrected lower and after bouncing from 38.2% Fibonacci level is now at the time fighting with a resistance just below the 23.6% Fibonacci level. At the time of writing the latest 4h candle just closed above 177.50 and we now have a hammer candle that indicates lack of downside momentum and suggests traders should choose carefully where to initiate short trades. Next support and resistance levels are at 176.55 (lower Bollinger Bands and a resistance turned into a support) and 178.20, a recent 4h pivot high.

Conclusion

The long term chart draws my attention to the nearby support level but also 50 week moving average and indecisive price action around it. Should price move lower from current levels buyers could be stepping in close to the recent (April 14th) low at 174.88 and if we see confirming price action then we could see a move to the descending trendline in the weekly picture. In a shorter term picture I am following minor time frames (60 min and lower) to see if price action confirms the bearish indications given by the daily time frame shooting star candle that occurs near channel top. At the time of writing this seems to be the case as price has reacted lower from a 50 period MA in an hourly chart but with the 4h hammer candle this market does give slightly mixed signals. With a bearish daily setup it makes sense to sell rallies at resistances if price action confirms the analysis. A 4h hammer candle indicates lack of downside momentum and suggests traders should choose carefully where to initiate short trades.

Please, find today’s high impact economic releases below. For full economic calendar visit HotForex.com.

2015-04-20_11551.png

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
HOW TO FIND HIGH PROBABILITY TRADES?

Gold-60-min-.png

In my analysis from April 15th I wrote: We could see Gold retesting the resistance levels at 1198 and 1208. The latter coincides with the upper Bollinger Bands and should price rally there we’d be looking for momentum reversal signals close to it.

As we now know, Gold turned at the resistance and provided us with a great shorting opportunity!

Join me in today’s Live Analysis Webinar and learn how to identify similar opportunities over the coming few days. I will teach you how to analyse the markets successfully and how to read price action when entering and exiting your trades.

Twice a month we gather together to a Live Analysis Webinar to study the markets and recent price action. In these sessions I share my thoughts and analysis on currency pairs and teach our traders to understand what is important when looking for high probability trade setups. This is a great opportunity to watch and learn from what I share and get your questions answered. We’ve had excellent feed back from our traders on these sessions. I am convinced that you will benefit greatly by investing an hour of your time with the rest of us. Please, follow the link below and book your seat.

You are warmly welcome to join me to a Live Analysis Webinar at 1 pm GMT. Book your seat! The seats are limited so sign up now and log in early.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
NASDAQ 100 Futures Trading Below Resistance

NQ-W.png

Nasdaq, Weekly:

Nasdaq was the world’s first electronic stock market when it began trading in 1971. This is very fitting for a technology index that nowadays includes all the major technology names that have a global presence. In HotForex MT4 platform this index can be traded under the name of USA 100. The biggest stocks in this index include technology names such as Apple, Microsoft and Google. As these stocks are investment driven (when businesses invest in computers, software and infrastructure these companies do well) their price behaviour can be seen as an indication of things to come for the whole of the stock market. Technology is also the heaviest weighted sector in the S&P 500 index which means that movements in technology shares and Nasdaq will have a significant impact on S&P 500. Let’s see how Nasdaq index has been trading lately and what can we learn from its movements.

Since the end of 2012 this market has been trending strongly higher gaining over 60% since the end of 2012. Currently this index is trading close to this year’s highs just below the upper weekly Bollinger Bands. Nasdaq has moved sideways since the end of February and has found support from general region of November 2014 high. This has created a sideways move that is fairly similar to the sideways range that lasted from November 2014 to the beginning of February 2015. This suggests to me that this market is not weak but is slowly working its way higher.

NQ-D.png

Nasdaq, Daily:

Index is trading at the recent highs and therefore at resistance. Recent high at 4441.50 was able to resist the move higher this morning and index reacted lower at the time of writing. Stochastics, RSI and Money Flow index are right at or very close to overbought levels which means that taking long positions at current levels would be too risky. Market is very thin this time of day as the US main trading session is still hours away. This can make market more volatile than usually. The nearest daily support level is at 4320 while the lower Bollinger Bands are between this and the next support at 4259.

NQ-240.png

Nasdaq, 240 min:

The 4h chart reveals how Nasdaq has been moving higher in an upward channel whit the lower end of the channel coinciding with a pivot support at 4327.50. Now that index has broken the small bearish wedge that had developed overnight the next significant support level is in the region of 4327.50 to 4350 that coincide with the Bollinger Bands and the channel low. Currently price has attracted some buying at 50 period moving average but this should be considered as a minor support and should we get a rally to 4423 resistance and then a turn around to again to the south there is a good chance price will penetrate this support and move to 4350 or so.

Conclusion

In the longer term picture this market is trading close to the year 2000 highs and therefore momentum can be expected to be weaker than it has been over the year 2014. The Q1 2015 trading gives us some indication of what the price action might be like over the rest of the second quarter. Index has been moving sideways and then has broken above the previous resistance levels without huge rallies. Instead the next range has developed just above the previous one. This means that the support levels are close and this market might not be ready to have major correction lower but move gradually higher. As technology is the biggest (heaviest weighted) sector in S&P 500 it is likely that this lack of technical weakness will turn into strength with S&P 500 as well. Now that Fed is more dovish and crude oil has likely bottomed the energy sector stocks are recovering giving additional support for the US stock market.

In short term Nasdaq is weak as it has not been able to move above the resistance level at 4441.50 but rather corrected lower. Even though there has been some buying at the 50 period MA the major support levels are near the rising trend channel bottom. I am looking for a move to 4350 and then follow minor time frames for buy signals. However, firs this market might rally a bit and test the 4423 resistance. Should we get a rally to 4423 resistance and then a reversal there is a good chance price will penetrate the 50 MA support and move to 4350 or so.

Trade these levels only should the price action confirm my analysis. If you don’t know how to read price action, please join me to our free webinars and learn how to take your trading to the next level. Register and participate for FREE!

2015-04-22_1226.png

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Last edited:

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
GBPUSD Rallied To A Resistance After MPC minutes

GBP-Daily.png

GBPUSD, Daily

The minutes noted that all members agreed that a repo rate hike was more likely than not over the three-year forecast period. The minutes also noted that two members regarded the decision as finely balanced (most likely the relatively hawkish-leaning Weale and McCafferty). The MPC also dropped the reference seen in the March minutes that the strength of sterling (which is up 15% y/y) could have potential to prolong the period for which CPI would remain below target, though it was noted that currency strength could curb exports and supress food prices.

The MPC now noted hat currency strength may have fed through quicker than expected, which could mean less downward pressure on prices to come and a faster pickup in inflation when the effects of recent falls in energy and food prices dropped out of y/y comparisons. Cable sprang over 70 pips on this, to five-day high of 1.5014. The 50-day moving average at 1.5037 and last Friday’s peak at 1.5053 provide the next upside markers. EUR-GBP fell back toward intraday lows under 0.7190, despite concurrent EUR-USD strength. Uncertainties about the May 7th general election should curb sterling’s upside potential, all else equal.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
Coffee Futures Reacting Lower From Resistance

KC-W.png

Coffee, Weekly

The last time I wrote about market moves in coffee the coffee futures were trading at 152.65 and based on the price action I suggested price should move lower and gave $145 and $125 as my downside targets. Since then target one was hit and price has moved as low as $128.80, close to the target II at $125. The first level was penetrated without any effort but then it turned into a resistance that has kept price capped for almost two months. Price of coffee found support at 161.8% Fibonacci extension level just above my target II at $125 and had a close outside the lower Bollinger Bands. Since then we’ve seen this market moving sideways inside the Bollinger Bands with roughly equal highs at $147. Price has made higher lows suggesting pressure is building against this resistance level.

KC-D.png

Coffee, Daily

The 50 period MA is still pointing lower while price of coffee struggles to close and stay above the $144.92 level. Stochastics are overbought and price has created a shooting star candle right at resistance which coincides with 100% Fibonacci extension level. Also, a regression channel drawn from the November 2014 high comes into play here. Price is trading right at the upper end of the channel adding to the bearish picture. The next important support levels are at 136.80 and 131.95.

KC-240.png

Coffee, 240 min

Price has been trending higher in a channel since the April 14th low. Now that price is moving lower again the lower end of the channel could provide some support as the 50 period MA and lower Bollinger Bands are relatively close to it. The rising trendline is currently at $140.45 while the 50 MA is at $139 and the 1.5 stdv lower Bollinger Band is at 139.12. In addition, there is a level that used to be a resistance roughly at $138.20. Stochastics are approaching the lower end of the range.

Conclusion

This two month sideways move suggests that supply and demand are now more balanced than at the time of my previous analysis on Coffee. Price moved almost to my target level at $125 but then turned around and has been challenging the $145 in several occasions. This could imply that the market participants wanted to cover their short positions before this important $125 support level and are now looking to take the market higher but the latest price action suggests there is still more weakness to come in Coffee. Short term picture is also negative as price has reacted lower from the resistance. I am therefore in a ‘sell rallies mode’ and look to benefit from the downside momentum. Here are my short term targets: target 1 at $138.20 and target 2 at $132. If price breaks below the sideways range a longer term downside target 1 is at $115.

Trade these levels only should the price action confirm my analysis. If you don’t know how to read price action, please join me to our free webinars and learn how to take your trading to the next level. Register and participate for FREE here: https://www.hotforex.com/en/landing-pages/hf-webinars.html?id=127

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

To view more visit HotForex Analysis Page at analysis.hotforex.com

Last edited:

HotForex

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
Today’s Currency Movers

EURUSD-Daily11.png

EURUSD, Daily

Earlier today THE Euro was the strongest currency against the US dollar with a gain of over 0.60%. This rally failed as EURUSD moved to a level where the upper Bollinger Bands and 50 day moving average coincided. Now the pair given up most of the gains and is hovering above yesterday’s close. The nearest daily support and resistance levels are at 1.0667 and 1.0900. If the pair closes below 1.0840, today’s candle will be a shooting star candle but there is some intraday 4h support at 1.0804 region (a previous resistance level) so price might fluctuate a bit more before finding direction.

Pairs_1555.png

Currency Pairs, Grouped Performance (% Change)

GBP has been rallying against the dollar since yesterday as the BoE minutes suggested the bank might be raising rates over the coming three year period. NZD has been weak RBNZ since assistant Governor John McDermott said yesterday the bank will ensure that the monetary policy is stimulatory to support output growth above potential and help lift inflation back to target. He said that at present they are not considering any increase in interest rates.

Main Macro Events Today

Eurogroup leaders’ gathering: no great expectations in terms of breakthrough on Greece.The German Ifo index jumped to 108.6 in April: stronger than expected current conditions reading and rising confidence in the manufacturing sector, while retail sentiment fell back somewhat. US March Durable goods orders: strong headline print on durables, the ex-transport component disappointed.

calendar_1552.png

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex