Price Action Swing Trading - The PAST Strategy

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
Happy Monday All!

Was anyone up early enough to catch the setup from this weekend's report?

I definitely wasn't, I was in my bed - I think that was one for our Asian session friends!

Look to be playing out very tidily though - I will be keeping an eye out for some retraces now.

Anyone who got in on the retest should definitely have risk either off the table completely now, or at least stops tightened a bit.

Nice start to the week!! :D:D

Hi Nigel

I hope you are well. Although I took Friday and Monday off trading i did keep an eye on things on my mobile and also read through your weekly report so thanks for writing it. This is the first opportunity I have had to update the forum so I apologise in advance for the barrage of posts and charts to follow :)

Stuart

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
First things first, here is the Gold trade that I have been discussing over the past couple of weeks:

I moved my stop to just above the high of Fridays candle as a result of the Bullish Weekly Pin Bar that printed last week.

I was taken out today with a healthy overall profit, I have yet to go through the numbers but I estimate that this trade worked out at roughly 1:6 RR overall. Not bad at all.

Stuart

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
Here is EURAUD on the 4hr chart. This trade is doing rather well currently sitting on about 500 pips profit. As per the notes on the chart, I may look to add a small position in anticipation of further declines:

Here is also the Weekly chart which shows there is still room for further declines if the market behaves the way we want it to. If it does not, I hope that the market will show us a sign that it has changed and we can therefore still get out holding some nice pips in our pockets!!!!

Stuart

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
Here is EURUSD:

The trades discussed last week did not work out and I cam out with a very small loss. EURUSD has started the week very bullishky as can be seen from the weekly chart below. I have not given up on shorts just yet as we are approaching the retest of a 4hr trendline but time will tll whether the market gives us an opportunity, here is the weekly:

And the H4 showing the trendline I am waching:

We will need to see what happens but if a short does not play out then we could be looking at a nice bullish engulfing weekly candle.

Stuart

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
Finally, we have the AUDJPY that you guys have already been discussing at length this week. Here is the daily chart showing a nice upwards channel where we could see price come down and retest the lower trendline:

And the H1 chart, I also got stopped at BE roughly from the same trade you guys were in but I missed the short this morning. Going to see what happens at the lower trendlines on my chart in case I get an opportunity to join the fun!!!!!

Stuart

russian30

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
Hi Stuart,

I'm glad your back. Great charts!!

I'll respond properly when work quiets down.

I've taken a sell position on the NZD/USD. I think it might be worth a 5 pip stop!

Here's my chart

NZDUSD 842014.png

Last edited:

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
A quick update on the EURUSD, I went down to the H1 and saw a 1hr pin bar very near the retest of the trendline highighted in my post above. I have gone short with at 1.3794 with a SL @ 1.3816. I'll be moving to BE at the first opportunity I get (if I get one :)

Stuart

russian30

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
Russian30, I am glad you enjoyed the book, I also found it very useful, I have not read his other books so let me know how you get on with hedge fund market wizards as I would be keen to give it a read.

On the topics of books, if you like reading trading books, another I would recommend is Trading In The Zone by Mark Douglas. It's a trading psychology book and I have found it really useful. If you take the time to listen (it's also available on Audible) and really try and think about what the author is saying I think it is a valuable book for any trader.

Thanks

Stuart
Thanks for the heads up on trading in the zone. That can be next on the list.

I also downloaded 'trading in the matrix' by Van tharp. It's also a psychological trading booking. Van tharp does the trading psychology interview in the the market wizards book.

It seems pretty good so far. I'll keep you guys updated.

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
Thanks for the heads up on trading in the zone. That can be next on the list.

I also downloaded 'trading in the matrix' by Van tharp. It's also a psychological trading booking. Van tharp does the trading psychology interview in the the market wizards book.

It seems pretty good so far. I'll keep you guys updated.

No problem

I read 'Trade your way to financial freedom' by Van Tharp and really enjoyed it.

Stuart

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
Hi Stuart,

I'm glad your back. Great charts!!

I'll respond properly when work quiets down.

I've taken a sell position on the NZD/USD. I think it might be worth a 5 pip stop!

Here's my chart

View attachment 4433

Hi Russian30

Has your NZDUSD trade survived or did you eat a stop? I'm just curious, what time frame are you basing your analysis on for the anchor chart? I was liking the look of NZDUSD last week but it had a strong day on Friday which meant we didn't close with an engulfing candle.

Be good to know your thoughts as it is a pair I have been watching since the weekly Pin Bar a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Stuart

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
my AUDJPY trade is living dangerously overnight, coming within 5 pips of my BE stop. Hopefully that is the retrace over now, or else perhaps we might have to concede that the market is trying to tell us something...:)

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Out at B/E - not liking the price action from the bears' perspective right now.

If you look at the daily chart, today's candle is already above the open price of yesterday's down candle - which I take as a sign that the bulls have some strength.

I was and am looking for a bearish swing to the downside - so I want to be aggressive only when the market is moving in my direction. When it is moving to the upside, I go into defensive mode, limiting my exposure. So right now I'm not seeing a whole lot on offer for the bears - that might change during the course of the day/rest of the week, but right now I will be standing aside and not trying to fight a market moving against me.

So it was two attempts, zero losses. I couldn't have traded this opportunity any better. The only thing that stood between me and greater success was market direction, something which I have no control over.

On the brighter side, the Aussie strength sees EURAUD move steadily lower :)

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
Out at B/E - not liking the price action from the bears' perspective right now.

If you look at the daily chart, today's candle is already above the open price of yesterday's down candle - which I take as a sign that the bulls have some strength.

I was and am looking for a bearish swing to the downside - so I want to be aggressive only when the market is moving in my direction. When it is moving to the upside, I go into defensive mode, limiting my exposure. So right now I'm not seeing a whole lot on offer for the bears - that might change during the course of the day/rest of the week, but right now I will be standing aside and not trying to fight a market moving against me.

So it was two attempts, zero losses. I couldn't have traded this opportunity any better. The only thing that stood between me and greater success was market direction, something which I have no control over.

On the brighter side, the Aussie strength sees EURAUD move steadily lower :)

Hi Nigel

Unlucky with the AUDJPY trade, I have not tried again since my first BE attempt and will also be sitting on the sidelines until I see something that I like the look of.

My EURUSD trade survived the night with SL at my original level. We had a bear candle at 7am UK time and although we did not move that far I decided it was an opportunity to tighten risk and I went to BE which was hit following the 8am candle.Whilst I am disappointed this was hit, I was never massively confident about this trade and probably should not have entered hence the desire to get to BE asap. I'm sitting EURUSD out for the rest of this week as the weekly candle is still very bullish.

I added to my EURAUD short this morning following the 9am pin bar which touched horizontal support turned resistance and was the break of a 5 min trendline.

Do you think I am being slightly aggressive adding to the EURAUD at this stage in the trade?

Thanks

Stuart

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Do you think I am being slightly aggressive adding to the EURAUD at this stage in the trade?

Morning Stuart - as long as you can reference your entry to a broken trendline somewhere, you can be as aggressive as you like. Whether you are correct to get into the trade or not - well only the market can tell you that - by either hitting your stop or moving in your favour :)

This is a good opportunity on EURAUD to discuss how we might think about taking profit or closing a trade. I am very conscious that we have spent a lot of time on entries in this forum but little time on exits. So this is not going to tell anyone how they should trade this - it is simply a good example. For my own part, I have made it very clear that I see this EURAUD trade as a long-term position; but I am not you, and you are not me. You might have a different outlook, or a different risk tolerance, have a different position size relevant to your account, and so on. We all have to make our own trading choices, based on our own individual circumstances :D

In the ebook, I mention that one of the ways you can determine whether or not you might want to think about taking profit is on a break of an opposite trendline.

We are in a bearish trade, so if the market breaks a trendline to the upside, that is a signal that the market is thinking about turning around, just as we take a trendline break to the downside as a signal that the bears may be about to take control.

The 4 hour chart of EURAUD shows what I mean. You can see we have a steep down trendline, drawn from the highs.

We have a choice to make here - and the individual choices we all make can all be radically different, depending on our appetite for risk. There is no right or wrong answer.

Option 1 - A conservative approach might be to say - look, I have 500 odd pips, its been a good trade, I will close on a break to the upside and take what I can.

Option 2 - A medium approach might be to say - look I really couldn't cope with price steaming off back to the upside, and I don't have the stomach to watch a potentially large retrace, or even a stop out at break-even. But I would like to see if this trade can develop further, because the monthly anchor chart looks really good. So I will take off some of my position here, leave some open, and if we get a retrace I will add again higher up. But I do this in the knowledge that there is also a good possibility that no meaningful retrace occurs and price could just continue to fall. If that happens I will just have to live with that cost.

Option 3 - An aggressive approach might be to say - look I have no big realised losses, my account is quite healthy, the monthly chart looks good, I don't really fancy sitting in front of my computer screen looking for more entries, I am just going to stay in and ride out any retrace if it happens. For all I know this could be the top price in this pair for 2014 and I could spend the rest of the year steadily racking up the pips and relaxing at the same time. I have nothing to lose, only pips to gain. So I am going to leave the whole thing open and let the market decide what happens.

There is no-one who should be making that decision for us - we should all be making that choice ourselves. It is our money on the line, so we alone should decide what to do. As long as we are comfortable in ourselves that we exploited the opportunity to its utmost and controlled our exposure, well that is the correct answer for us. :D:D

Attachments

• euraud240.png
    euraud240.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 40

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
Hi Nigel

Thanks for your post above, I found this really useful.

For what it is worth, I will be exiting half my position on the break of the trendline in the opposite direction. The remaining position will be left to run until I'm stopped at BE or the monthly chart shows an opposing signal (bullish engulfing or pin bar).

The EURAUD trade a put on this morning has been stopped for a small loss but still well within my comfort zone.

If you are still interested in the AUDJPY, we have just had a 1hr trendline break and daily is looking more bearish now. I have entered at 95.32 with a 35 pip stop at 95.67 (slightly larger stop than I would have hoped but reduced position size accordingly). I'll be moving to BE at the first realistic opportunity.

Thanks

Stuart

stuart1984

Master Trader
Mar 22, 2014
Scotland
Well it has not been my day today. Stopped out at a small loss on my AUDJPY trade following the release of the FOMC minutes. Price literally touched my stop and has since reversed but we will wait and see what happens.

Nevermind, chin up, after all, because of this strategy, my loss is contained and I know there will be an opportunity round the corner that will wipe these small losses from memory.

I feel a bit like a fisherman:

- The anchor chart is how I choose which river to fish.
- The hourly or 4 hourly trendlines show me where on the river I want to stand
- The price action is like a fish touching the surface to cause a ripple and so I cast my line in that direction
- I'm using bait, sometimes the fish will have a nibble and escape the hook taking my bait away with it
- the fish may do this repeatedly
- but with patience, I continue to cast my line using the clues I see before me and eventually I get a proper bite and my line goes taught
- Now i'm focused, its now between me and the fish but I have to stay focused so he doesn't get away
- sometimes, just sometimes, I'll be able to use my net and can feel proud that I have come out victorious
- the cycle repeats

Stuart

myknees

Trader
Jun 26, 2013
Well it has not been my day today. Stopped out at a small loss on my AUDJPY trade following the release of the FOMC minutes. Price literally touched my stop and has since reversed but we will wait and see what happens.

Nevermind, chin up, after all, because of this strategy, my loss is contained and I know there will be an opportunity round the corner that will wipe these small losses from memory.

I feel a bit like a fisherman:

- The anchor chart is how I choose which river to fish.
- The hourly or 4 hourly trendlines show me where on the river I want to stand
- The price action is like a fish touching the surface to cause a ripple and so I cast my line in that direction
- I'm using bait, sometimes the fish will have a nibble and escape the hook taking my bait away with it
- the fish may do this repeatedly
- but with patience, I continue to cast my line using the clues I see before me and eventually I get a proper bite and my line goes taught
- Now i'm focused, its now between me and the fish but I have to stay focused so he doesn't get away
- sometimes, just sometimes, I'll be able to use my net and can feel proud that I have come out victorious
- the cycle repeats

Stuart

Great view !

Nigel - Whats the stats for your trade ? Entry , Original Stop and current position as a % return ? Sorry for the personal question !

I have used your method and the FUKC monthly report (I went for the engulfing candle on the monthly and the 45p daily interest (per £1)) to go long AUDCHF - currently up 135 PIPs on an original 30 PIP stop - Plus 11 days interest at 45p in the £1 a day - These trades with high interest are amazing and well worth looking at that FUKC monthly report.

Thanks again for the method and the monthly report assuming you contribute to it.

russian30

Active Trader
Oct 9, 2013
Hi Russian30

Has your NZDUSD trade survived or did you eat a stop? I'm just curious, what time frame are you basing your analysis on for the anchor chart? I was liking the look of NZDUSD last week but it had a strong day on Friday which meant we didn't close with an engulfing candle.

Be good to know your thoughts as it is a pair I have been watching since the weekly Pin Bar a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Yes, my NZD/USD got stopped out for BE. The anchor chart is the weekly which has been consistently moving up over the last few months.

there's no real technical analysis on my part other than a clear trend line on the weekly chart. I think the fundamentals are more in favor of a buy trade! but I just think its due a bit of a correction to the down side. I'm placing shorts near price peaks, with a small 5 pt stop, then moving it to break even ASAP.

In case anyone is interested, I just placed a sell at 0.8742 on the NZD/USD, stop is at break even. lets see where it goes!

Last edited: