Price Action Swing Trading - The PAST Strategy

brubrant

Trader
Dec 14, 2013
Hi Nigel,

I have no words to thank you. Not only for sharing your strategy, but specially for helping us to THINK like a pro trader. This is a huge forum thread but I'm totally happy to say I read it all.

It's amazing how understand about psychology and the mental process triggered when we lose.

As a FOREX beginner (less than 6 months) I can say you changed me from "probably one more frustrated loser" to "a beginner with a lot of potential".

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Aquarius

Master Trader
Dec 30, 2013
Netherlands
Short entry on GBPJPY

This weekend I read Nigel's report on GBPJPY. I decided to put in a sell stop beneath the little doji just beneath the yellow trenline. It is the second bar of the day in my timeframe. It got triggered. The stoploss is at BE and at the moment the trade about 270 pips in profit. Waiting for the thousand 'promised' by Nigel:p:)

Attachments

• 03022014 GBPJPY short entry.png
    03022014 GBPJPY short entry.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 17

Aquarius

Master Trader
Dec 30, 2013
Netherlands
Losing trades in profit before stopped out

I thought I'ld do an analysis of my losing trades of last week. As you can see 5 of the 11 were more then 20 pips in profit before getting stopped out. That might raise the question wether it would be usefull for me to use an EA which sets the stop to BE at a certain amount of profit in pips :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Losing trades in profit before stoploss.png
    Losing trades in profit before stoploss.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 9

GRS

Trader
Oct 24, 2013
Hi Aquarius,

Apologies for the long post!!

I know that everyone takes something different out of learning, but for me the "Ah-ha" moment thanks to Nigel isn't "let your profits run". For me the concept of taking several small bites at a position rather than one big all or nothing attempt is the biggest change of thinking. Consider any of your favourite reversal signals from D1 or W1 timeframes. Maybe you trade pin bars, engulfing bars, piecing bars, inside or outside bars etc. Normally you'd put your stop behind the price action, take an entry of the break of the signal bar and go for 1:1 or 2:1. If you "let your profits run" you may even make 3:1 or 4:1.

Lets say your traditional stop is 90 pips and you risk 2%. Now instead consider taking a trendline break on a lower timeframe with a 15 pip stop and splitting your 2% risk into 4 equal "attempts" each risking 0.5%.

If your first 2 tries are stopped out you've lost 1%. Maybe now the original signal is no longer valid and instead of losing 2% you've only lost 1%. If the signal is still valid, lets say your third attempt sticks and you get to your first target of 90pips. With 0.5% risk you've just made a 3% account gain (0.5 x 90/15), minus the 1% loss of the first 2 attempts = 2% profit. The same as if you'd taken a full 2% position with a 90pip stop, but you've been given 3 attempts at much lower risk to achieve it! If you're first or second attempt had stuck you'd be doing even better. Now what if you'd moved your stop to BE on the first 2 failed attempts? For every time you get your stop to BE, you are essentially getting a "free life" (just like old school Mario Bros). You can have another attempt at no additional cost (Maybe you actually take 5 attempts, but 3 are moved to BE before being stopped out, so we'll just consider the 2 loss entries in this hypothetical).

Now what if you get to your traditional "2:1" target, 180 pips? With your new 0.5% risk 15 pip stop entry, this will now return 6% profit (0.5 x 180/15). Discounting for your 2 losing trades this will still be 5% profit net. If you'd taken this only with a 2% position and 90 pip stop you'd only make 4%. If you really get onto a runner, you can see how your 0.5% account risk with a 15 pip stop will out do a 2% risk 90 pip stop entry at every step. If you make it to 270 pips profit then instead of 6% gain (3:1 at 2%), you bag 9% minus loses = 8%.

I know this isn't exact. If you don't get in the trade until the 3rd attempt then maybe your entry price isn't as good etc. But if you're buying on a trendline break sometimes you'll be entering on a retrace at a better price. And sometime the trade will go no-where but you'll lose either a smaller amount or nothing compared to a traditional entry.

Finally a trend line break is confluence. You can enter on a price action signal confirmed by a trendline break (or H&S neckline break or double top break etc) and increase the chances or a successful trade. You are taking your normal price action signal, and combining it with another confirming signal that you may not usually consider.

So for my own trading, the first change I'm making isn't to shoot for multi-week multi-pip wins. I'll stick with looking for bleedingly obvious pin bars and long wicks and shooting for traditional 1:1 and 2:1 targets. However, I now try and get more out of each trade by taking multiple attempts at much smaller risk, smaller stops and getting to BE to claim my 'free life' ASAP. With time I may gradually learn to hang on longer and shoot for bigger MWMP trades, but this isn't as much of a priority for me. Taking good setups and amplifying the gains with less risk but the same targets (in pips) is enough for now!

BUT conversely, if all you do is hang onto trades longer (let your profits run) and still use D1 or W1 based stops, without reducing your risk with much smaller stops and getting to BE quickly, I _personally_ believe you will find it very hard to be profitable. I actually think that taking a traditional D1 entry with a large stop based on D1/W1 price action and S&R, watching it run to 1:1 or 2:1 and then come back and stop you out at BE while you wait for a multi-week runner will be a less profitable and much more stressful strategy than just taking your 1:1 or 2:1 exits. It is only when these rare MWMP runners are amplified by the small stop entry position that they become extremely profitable and outweigh the low probability of their occurrence. And it is only when you get your stop to BE quickly on small risk punts that your account will stop haemorrhaging while you wait for the elusive MWMP play.

I'd love to hear Nigel's thoughts though.

Aquarius

Master Trader
Dec 30, 2013
Netherlands
Needs some thinking

Hi Aquarius,

....... Normally you'd put your stop behind the price action, take an entry of the break of the signal bar and go for 1:1 or 2:1. If you "let your profits run" you may even make 3:1 or 4:1.

Finally a trend line break is confluence. You can enter on a price action signal confirmed by a trendline break (or H&S neckline break or double top break etc) and increase the chances or a successful trade. .....

I'd love to hear Nigel's thoughts though.
Thanks for your answer which I will re-read one of the coming days.
My first thoughts on this:
  1. I can not "watch" the trendline break, so a 20 or 30 pip stop will not work for me (I think)
  2. I thought one of the fundamental idea's of PAST is to catch the beginning of a trend(change) and ride it out as long as possible. See Nigel's report on GBPJPY
  3. A 1:1 or 2:1 on average will not work on the long run when not having a winning percentage way above 50%
  4. I think you can trade PAST (or any 'system') with a 30% winning trades when letting profits run
  5. I agree I have to find a way to reduce my initial risk
  6. Sure I have lots of losers, but as shown in previous post about half of them were in profit and could have been "BE trades"!

As said I will re-read you post and find out what I can use from it to enhance my entries / exits / results.

By the way I opened a GBPJPY trade this morning. It was 387 pips in profit and is at 215 right now. My stop is at 187 pips. Also I have a AUDCAD long trade at 150 pips in proift, stop at about 90 pips.
Letting a trade run is quite difficult for me too, but finding good entries is maybe even harder. As I said before "we need an excuse to get in". You mentioned a lot in your post. So when you are in, when you participate in the movement of the market try to make as much out of it as you can. I am trying to find a way to do that besides my daily job (for as long as I have it because my company is having hard times).
Also I would like to see trade examples from others trading PAST, I could learn from them probably. Would you post some?

Last edited:

GRS

Trader
Oct 24, 2013
Today I'm looking for AUDNZD to retrace back to the region of 1.0865 to 1.0875 for a short. If/as it retraces I'll look for an entry on a lower tf such as a M30 pin or bearish engulf. If it fails to retrace back to the trendline and breaks the low of yesterday's D1 bar I'll re-assess.

Edit: added h4 with trendline. sorry about the hand drawn line, screenshots are from my phone and I don't have an app that edits with lines.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-05-08-33-22.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-05-08-33-22.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 2014-02-05 08.48.39.png
    2014-02-05 08.48.39.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

GRS

Trader
Oct 24, 2013
this little pin on M30 suggests the retrace may not go any further, so I've opened a small short at 1.08486 with a stop at 1.0865.

Note the clock in the top right is western aust.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-05-08-59-12.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-05-08-59-12.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 17

GRS

Trader
Oct 24, 2013
audnzd trade is approx 25 pips in profit, moved stop to BE, 1.08480

Attachments

• 2014-02-05 12.08.05.png
    2014-02-05 12.08.05.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

GRS

Trader
Oct 24, 2013
Price has stalled a bit around 1.0824. There is an excellent chance it will come back up and take me out art BE. If that happens I'll look for another bearish pattern on the M30 to reenter around the same price, ie it may double top at my original entry price. Failing that, I'll see what happens if it makes it back up to the trendline for a retest.

GRS

Trader
Oct 24, 2013
audnzd was stopped out at BE. I've re-entered at 1.0860 with stop at 1.0875. If price pushes down below 1.0850 with some conviction I'll move my stop to BE. Risk is 0.5% of account.

basilc

Trader
Jul 3, 2013
Ireland
Knowing this is a FOREX Forum, some might find the following contribution as welcome as flatulence at a Poetry reading. Nonetheless, as traders I believe we should be vigilant for other opportunities to profit from as and when possible. I recall a recent reference to the yellow metal by the boss himself (AKA Nigel). So, for what it's worth, the DOW has made lots of lolly for keen-eyed punters recently and might still offer good Shorting opportunities if we go to the lower 1 & 4Hr TFs.

DOW MONTHLY Chart has a low of ±9730 in June 2010
It reached an all time High of ±16590 in Dec 2013

DOW WEEKLY Chart has 3 Indecision Candles followed by a Strong Reversal Candle
yielding a 592 pip drop W/E 26/02/2014.

A current price of 15386 means there was ±1200 pips avaiable for the taking!

GRS

Trader
Oct 24, 2013
audnzd was stopped out at BE. I've re-entered at 1.0860 with stop at 1.0875. If price pushes down below 1.0850 with some conviction I'll move my stop to BE. Risk is 0.5% of account.

didn't get my stop to BE but did tighten it a bit before bedtime. Got taken out for 0.25% loss by a strong up move, so now waiting to see what happens.

Aquarius

Master Trader
Dec 30, 2013
Netherlands
didn't get my stop to BE but did tighten it a bit before bedtime. Got taken out for 0.25% loss by a strong up move, so now waiting to see what happens.
Thanks for describing your trade GRS

GRS

Trader
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks for describing your trade GRS

In pretty good shape for next with with audnzd. currently 0.5% position on which is 90 pips in profit and we have just broken the low of the D1 pin that caught my attention. In the past if I was trading on the D1 only I would have only just triggered my trade now and my stop would have been above the high of the pin bar. A 1:1 D1 target would be approx 130 pips and would have made me 2% in the past. If we make it that far with my 15 pip stop entry, even though it's only 0.5% risk, it should be about 7% profit.

IF this pair does manage to fall another 130 pips next week I'll be eyeing of the weekly chart as this week just closed as another pin bar.

Not the best example aquarius as haven't used trendline breaks at all, just M30 price action to get in with 15pip stops. I'd normally never trade an M30 pin or engulf as I just don't think they are reliable on such a low tf. But as I'm bearish because of the D1 pin I'll happily trade of M30 but get my stop to BE quickly.

Attachments

• 2014-02-08 08.03.30.png
    2014-02-08 08.03.30.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2014-02-08 08.02.34.png
    2014-02-08 08.02.34.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Aquarius

Master Trader
Dec 30, 2013
Netherlands
Nice entry

Not the best example aquarius as haven't used trendline breaks at all, just M30 price action to get in with 15pip stops......
Like I said: "We just need an excuse to get in":)

GRS

Trader
Oct 24, 2013
Like I said: "We just need an excuse to get in":)

I have to admit, I don't really understand that quote. Finding a excuse to get into a trade is the easiest part for me. Sorting the good excuses from the bad I find much more difficult.

GRS

Trader
Oct 24, 2013
3 entries I took;

1) m30 pin bar during retrace as explained earlier.

2) rejection at pin symmetry. the high of the day prior to the pin was 1.08729 and I noticed a clear rejection at that price the day after the pin which did end up being the high of the day. after seeing the rejection I took an opportunity to buy at the next rejection (lower high).

3) m30 pin bar into a price rejected the last time it was at that level

Last edited:

Aquarius

Master Trader
Dec 30, 2013
Netherlands
Excuses to enter a trade

I have to admit, I don't really understand that quote. Finding a excuse to get into a trade is the easiest part for me. Sorting the good excuses from the bad I find much more difficult.
We enter a trade to participate in an expected movement. What do we enter on? A certain 'rule' like :
  1. A break of a trendline
  2. A retest of a trendline
  3. A break of an engulfing bar (at a support or resistance level)
  4. A break of a pinbar (at a support or resistance level)
That is what I call excuses to get in to a trade. Is this searching for an entry on certain levels really that important?

Last edited: