Did the NFP report take you by surprise?

Rambo35

Confirmed PaxForex Representative
Apr 22, 2013
Canada
I can say that I expected a lower figure, but not that low. I know many say do not make too much out of one report which I agree with, but I think we may see a downward revision to December and another big miss for January.

I am also looking forward to the five-year revision of the household survey and personally expect the revisions to show less jobs created over the past five years then initially reported.

Does anyone else have any input on the US labor market?

Easy Trader

Master Trader
Sep 17, 2011
NFP: I actually didn't look at the numbers. We may see a downward revision of Dec/Jan, one thing is for sure it probably wont get revised up, they always tend to "juice" the numbers more than usual around the holiday season. The household survey: There may be less jobs created than the initial report, but in your analysis I think it is important to take note of the babyboomer demographic that is going through its retirement phase. Most all reports for years to come will have a shrinking or negative undertone to them because of this, it doesn't necessarily mean the economy is doing bad, just a slow demographic contraction. Since Jan 1 2013 it was 10,000 people a day that are retiring for the next 18 years. That is a lot of people everyday who were putting money in now taking money out of the invisible chauffer.

Rambo35

Confirmed PaxForex Representative
Apr 22, 2013
Canada
I agree that the numbers are always juiced up and the way the unemployed are counted makes no sense either.