Price Action Swing Trading - The PAST Strategy

Raju

Master Trader
Oct 2, 2009
Victoria, British Columbia
Short possibilities for AUDUSD.

Great thread. Thanks for sharing your ideas Nigel. I am heading south with AUDUSD on the H4 chart with Weekly candles in the background, as PAST mania has overcome me as well, chart attached. Price tested the trendline and has begun declining, at least for now.

Attachments

• AUDUSD.png
    AUDUSD.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 52

basilc

Trader
Jul 3, 2013
Ireland
AUDUSD

Great thread. Thanks for sharing your ideas Nigel. I am heading south with AUDUSD on the H4 chart with Weekly candles in the background, as PAST mania has overcome me as well, chart attached. Price tested the trendline and has begun declining, at least for now.

Hi Raju,

Welcome to PAST thread.

We're all on a learning curve ever since Mr Price unveiled his remarkable fx strategy so I hope you'll forgive me if I toss a contentious pebble into the AUDUSD pool.

PAST uses MONTH and/or WEEK charts to determine trend direction and reversals that enable us to jump into profitable trades. On my WEEK chart for this pair I spotted a new LOW of 8847 on 4th Aug. Dropping down to a DAY chart confirmed the reversal, before making a High of 9213 on 8th Aug followed by a retracement to 9059 when I went LONG. I am now hoping to make a profit if and when the market hits my potential target at 9429.

I am no PAST expert and could be altogether wrong in my analysis - no doubt time will tell. At present I am +23 pips and have moved SL to break even.

Good luck with your trading!

Sláinte,

Basil

Raju

Master Trader
Oct 2, 2009
Victoria, British Columbia
EURJPY trade elaborated.

Thanks Basil. Since a picture says a thousand words, I have elaborated a bit on my current open EURJPY short trade with a snapshot, which at present is in 30 pips of profit with open target.

Attachments

• EURJPY.png
    EURJPY.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 39

Olu

Master Trader
I don't see much on the "anchor" charts on the 20 instruments Nigel trades this weekend - Anyone else ?

I agree with you MK on your assessment.

Can I suggest the following pairs to go on the watchlist:

EurUsd - Price did a doji with the top at resistance. Good place for a reversal

UsdJpy - Formed an inside candle. So previous bearish signal still counts

GbpJpy - Possible buy

AudCad - possible buy

EurAud - Doji after a bearish candle possible short

AudChf - Doji after bullish candle - possible long

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Morning All, hope everyone had a good weekend.

The summer doldrums continue! There are slim pickings about on the currency markets at the moment, although the stock indices were lively last week.

I'm going to continue to keep an eye on EUR/USD short but I'm not expecting much movement, to be honest. The markets are caught up in all this Fed tapering speculation which is causing some unusual moves across asset classes. Until some consensus is reached in relation to what is going on we are likely to see more chop. The German election is another thing to keep an eye on too, especially for the €.

Have you ever read the book "Bringing Down the House", or the film that was made of the story, "21"? The book is better than the film. MIT blackjack players in Vegas. One of the keys to their success was knowing to conserve capital when the cards were not coming out in their favour, and then when the deck turned hot, they hit it as hard as they could, raising their stakes dramatically. Reading that book nearly 10 years ago now, I didn't know it at the time, but I was learning one of the most important trading lessons there is.

During these summer weeks, the markets are the equivalent of twos, threes or fours coming out of a blackjack deck. The inexperienced player who is in Vegas for the weekend will get annoyed, impatient and will bet on hands when the odds are obviously against him. He has no understanding of odds or maths and will lose his money. But that is what he is there for, so no worries.

The intelligent calculated MIT blackjack player will sit these hands out, or play low stakes, patiently biding his time. When the aces, kings and queens start coming out, he ramps up his bet substantially, knowing that the odds have swung in his favour and he has a limited time to get to work. He hits the deck as hard as he can, for as long as he can, until the odds swing back against him again. At which point he leaves the table and cashes out with enormous gains.

Don't be the drunken holiday stag party-goer in Vegas, losing all his cash and lying about it to his friends. Be the MIT blackjack player - patient, calculated, and above all, highly profitable.

Right now, as traders, we are at the market equivalent of sitting at a quiet blackjack table in Vegas - the cards that are coming out are low - twos, threes and fours. We are spending a few pips here and there, testing the market, but we recognise that it is quiet. We patiently wait for the a run of kings, aces and queens, and make sure that when that run comes, we are still sitting at the table with money available to put to work - not lying upstairs in bed bemoaning our huge losses.

For what it's worth, I am currently holding 5 positions, all short - 2 in USD/JPY and 3 in EUR/AUD. All stops are set to breakeven. Open floating profit is 1,456 pips. As I said earlier, I continue to track EUR/USD to the downside but I wouldn't be surprised to see strength, in which case I will stand aside and wait until the odds are in my favour again.

Good luck for the coming trading week! :D

Last edited:

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com

Welcome to the thread Raju! :D

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Hi, are the 20 instruments Nigel trades listen anywhere?

Cheer's.
Denny

Hi Denny16, welcome to the thread.

You'll see the stuff I trade at the bottom of this page.

Bear in mind, I only take a look through these at the weekend, after picking a couple out that look good, I often won't really look at the list again until the next weekend, unless I read about some of them in the news or something. I find that going through loads of instruments during the week rarely equates to better performance for me. I pick a couple of pairs to keep an eye on at the weekend, get to know the charts well over the course of the week - if the market gives me the opportunities I trade them, if it doesn't, I'll often just stand aside until the next week.

It is a very relaxing way to trade :D

Good luck!

Denny16

Trader
Jul 19, 2013
Thanks for that Nigel, I've been trying to scalp for a couple of years ( without getting very far ) so I could do with a relaxing way to trade. I like the look of the P.A.S.T, it just makes sense.
Cheer's,
Denny16

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Hi Everyone, just to update on a trendline that seems to have presented itself on EUR/USD - as you know I have been looking to short it this week.

It didn't look great for EUR/USD bears early this week, but we have seen them wake up a bit today after the FOMC. A 4 hour chart is below.

The dollar strength has also resulted in a very nice daily reversal candle on GBP/USD too (albeit that the preceding trend isn't great, but you can't have everything) and there is also a nice trendline on the 1 hour chart to keep an eye on for the rest of the week - charts below.

Breaks and retests - keep the losers small and let the winners grow big. If you get knocked out for a small loss or B/E it's no sweat, you can always get in again later. If price moves the way we want we trade, if it doesn't, we stand aside. Good luck! :D

Attachments

• E4.png
    E4.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 92
  • GD.png
    GD.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 94
  • G1.png
    G1.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 89

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
If you traded either of the above breaks you should now have your stop at breakeven. Keep an eye out for a retest now - your initial position may get stopped out, but you should have the opportunity to get in again underneath the trendline. At the moment, the € looks a bit stronger :D

Brodwyn

Trader
Aug 21, 2013
AUDNZD heads up

Interesting thread. Great method -- anything close to raw charts are attractive (thanks Mr Nigel Price).

I know AUDNZD is not on your watchlist, but would you say this is a good potential reversal signal?

• There is a strong trend.
  • If the weekly bar ends like this tomorrow, I believe it will be a valid reversal bar (bull close above last bear open).
  • Also, there is a long tail bar three weeks back (and consolidation since).

Appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Attachments

• audnzdweekly.png
    audnzdweekly.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
We only got 15 pips into profit before reversing. I wasn't at my computer so it was just my stop at 1.3355 got hit, -15 pips. Had I been at my computer I could have brought that to b/e.

The euro bulls don't look like they are in the mood to roll over just yet! But 15 pips is a tiny price to pay for the chance to participate in what could be a large decline. Let's see what happens in the run in towards the end of the week :D

Pips Ahoy!

Trader
Aug 14, 2013
waterloo, ontario
i thought entry on 1h or 4h was just to find a good place(?) now i realize it lets me wager much more since the predictable price movement allows for only 20 - 30 pip stops. on the weekly i had to adjust my position sizes according to a 100-150 pip stop(!)

here is cadchf

Attachments

• cadchf weekly.png
    cadchf weekly.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 43
  • cadchf 1h.png
    cadchf 1h.png
    50 KB · Views: 45
Last edited: