Price Action Swing Trading - The PAST Strategy

Jakspratt

Trader
Jul 19, 2013
My risk is the amount of equity I can still lose in a trade at any given time. Doesn't matter if I lose 200 pips in a single trade when it reverses, or if I lose 10 trades in a row at 20 pips each. Both cost the same amount of money :)

Deu, I don't want to get into a slanging match, but I think Basilc is right in thinking you are at cross purposes - you seem to be equating 'risk' with 'lost opportunity' Once you have your stop to break even, you have negated any risk and what remains is profit. The fact that price might reverse and 'take back' some of your profits is what trading is all about. A profit is never a profit until the trade is closed.

Hope this helps

deu

Trader
Aug 5, 2013
But that's the point. I could close my trade at any point in time. That's an active decision, therefore, at any point in time, I risk whatever amount of profit I might already take. Just like I risk my initial stop loss when I choose to enter a trade.

Anyway, I don't want to start a big discussion about risk and equity. Just wanted to know your guys opinion about this issue. So thx for explaining :)

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
They are just two different ways of looking at the same thing. There is no definitively right or wrong answer - it is a matter of personal interpretation.

You could look at it another way too - what if, over the course the next couple of weeks, that trade that you closed at 200 pips moved into profit by another 500 pips? Are they lost pips too? To some maybe they are, to others they aren't.

Everything is right and everything is wrong at the same time. As long as you are clear in your own mind what your own view is and you trade successfully according to that view, more power to you, in my opinion!

deu

Trader
Aug 5, 2013
Question remains though: assuming I want to risk no more than 2% of my equity on every trade, then those 2% equate to what exactly in this strategy? 20 pips? The average amount of pips I lose trying to get into a weekly trend? The average swing on a weekly basis?

I feel the answer should be weekly swing, so 2% = 300 pips or something like that, and 20 pips = 0,13%. So combined with proper bankroll management PAST is (hopefully) a way to get more cheaply into trades on a weekly timeframe, but the potential gain doesn't look quite as impressive anymore.

Last edited:

Olu

Master Trader
Question remains though: assuming I want to risk no more than 2% of my equity on every trade, then those 2% equate to what exactly in this strategy? 20 pips? The average amount of pips I lose trying to get into a weekly trend? The average swing on a weekly basis?

I feel the answer should be weekly swing, so 2% = 300 pips or something like that, and 20 pips = 0,13%. So combined with proper bankroll management PAST is (hopefully) a way to get more cheaply into trades on a weekly timeframe, but the potential gain doesn't look quite as impressive anymore.

Hi Deu

At first I was wondering what you were talking about - risk etc. But now I get it.

This is my experience. I have only used this strategy about 4 times. I have just closed my cadjpy for +270 pips

I have allowed for the possibility that I might be trying 4 times to get on the train so 75-80 pips is my 2% risk. Does that help? What happens if I dont get on the long journey in 4 tries? I look for something else or reallocate another 2% and start again

Olu

Last edited:

deu

Trader
Aug 5, 2013
Thank you, that's what I was hoping for :)

Sorry, took my some time to figure out what my actual question is :D

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Morning All,

The past few weeks have been slow going for me in terms of profit, but this week has more than made up for it. I have a very nice balance heading into the weekend, so no Friday trading for me today.

The market is like a slot machine - it has to pay out at some stage. A slot machine can't take money off you forever - it fills up. The market is exactly the same.

As traders, we need to make sure that we aren't the poor pathetic guy who puts his last coin into the slot praying for a payout and then walking away in despair. We want to be the superstar who walks over to the machine shortly afterwards, when the machine is bulging and needs to pay out - he plays a couple of rounds and BINGO - the coins start spewing. Everyone has heard that rattle before, the sound of a slot machine jackpot - it sounds fantastic.

I hope the slot machine paid out for some of the traders on this thread here too this week. if it didn't, don't worry, it will soon :D

I am off to a friend's wedding this weekend - the report will be out on Sunday as normal and I will do another review on here if I get the chance - possibly Monday.

Have a good weekend! :D

basilc

Trader
Jul 3, 2013
Ireland
Closed my trade for +270pips

Olu

CADJPY. Well done Olu!

I was tempted to take profit yesterday for ±255 pips but recalling TASK strategy, I opted to let the trade run. At the moment I'm +190 pips but my medium to long term target is for market to continue South to 87.00, thus yielding another 600+ pips.

Last edited:

Olu

Master Trader
CADJPY. Well done Olu!

I was tempted to take profit yesterday for ±255 pips but recalling TASK strategy, I opted to let the trade run. At the moment I'm +190 pips but my medium to long term target is for market to continue South to 87.00, thus yielding another 600+ pips.

BasilC

Thanks for your comments. I only took profits because I thought there might be some retracement as we approaches the 92.00 area. Like you I dont think it is over yet and I am looking to get in a bit higher

Well done BasilC. This 'slot machine' paid out to us both this week

Olu

Olu

Master Trader
This week

Guys the US$ lost it this week and almost all the charts I have been looking at on the weekly have been against the US$. Somehow I think this week will be an odd one. I confess I am a dollar bull but it took a 'pounding' this week. Mind you I and Bernanke are not brothers and therefore I will not hesitate to sell the US$ when the opportunity arises.

More later...

Olu

Last edited:

myknees

Trader
Jun 26, 2013
Right - Just been through the instrument list Nigel trades on the PAST Strategy page and come up with the following:

1st place = DOW (and the S&P but the DOW looks like a better reversal)
2nd place = AUDJPY
3rd place = GBPCHF and GBPCAD (I would say these do not look particularly great)

I put the S&P, AUDJPY, GBPCHF and GBPCAD into my correlation indicator (see attached) and decided that as the S&P is almost completely positively correlated to the DOW and AUDJPY is almost at the 0 line (no correlation) that I would stick with my Top 2 only this week and will be looking at the DOW and the AUDJPY on the lower timeframes.

Suggested trendlines welcome :)

Attachments

• Correlation.PNG
    Correlation.PNG
    31 KB · Views: 40

myknees

Trader
Jun 26, 2013
On the DOW I can see no tradeable trendline - AUDJPY, see attached - 4 hour chart.

Attachments

• audjpy.PNG
    audjpy.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

plunt

Trader
Aug 11, 2013
Surely if you knew that the FOMC was due the net day then it would have been prudent to take some profit when you were 140 pips up. In effect you chose to take a blind gamble on what is always a market moving event. I am reading through your posts from the start so I am not sure if someone else has brought this up. Apologies if they have.

Nigel Price

Master Trader
Jun 26, 2013
www.forexuseful.com
Hello to you plunt and welcome to the thread. Thank you for your question. It links nicely into what we debating last week.

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with taking some profit going into a market moving announcement. Some will decide to do so, others won't. It all depends on your individual tolerance for risk set against your appetite for reward.

Let's think this through for a moment -

OK, so I am 140 pips in profit, with a stop at breakeven. If I get stopped out, my account balance is the same as it was before I started, but I will forgo the 140 pips floating profit. What is my maximum downside? The floating profit is gone, but my account balance stays the same.

As we were discussing last week, some people will view this as 140 pips lost - others will see it as breakeven, i.e. no loss. There is no right or wrong answer to this, it is a matter of personal interpretation. I prefer to look at it as no loss, because I like to keep an eye on the bigger picture.

So the downside is capped at a level we know and are comfortable with. What is the potential upside during this market moving event? Well if the market moves in our direction, it has the potential to move a significant distance, much, much, more than 140 pips.

On some occasions the news will go against me and I will lose those floating 140 pips and I get stopped out at b/e.

On some occasions the news will go for me, and my gain will be multiples of my losses on the other losing occasions.

Cut your losers and run your winners.

Is that a blind gamble? Of course it is - everything in the market is a gamble - anyone who tells you otherwise is pulling your leg. The question is are the odds in our favour and is it a gamble worth taking? For me the answer is yes, I take that gamble every. single. time. :D

Olu

Master Trader
Right - Just been through the instrument list Nigel trades on the PAST Strategy page and come up with the following:

1st place = DOW (and the S&P but the DOW looks like a better reversal)
2nd place = AUDJPY
3rd place = GBPCHF and GBPCAD (I would say these do not look particularly great)

I put the S&P, AUDJPY, GBPCHF and GBPCAD into my correlation indicator (see attached) and decided that as the S&P is almost completely positively correlated to the DOW and AUDJPY is almost at the 0 line (no correlation) that I would stick with my Top 2 only this week and will be looking at the DOW and the AUDJPY on the lower timeframes.

Suggested trendlines welcome :)

Sorry MyKnees for not posting my list of possibles for this week. I was sooooo busy that I couldn't do it. So on the basis of this strategy I am behind ( smack on the wrist) tonight I will be able to contribute

Olu