Is it possible to trade without Emotions?

okon2much

Banned
Mar 9, 2013
Emotions is always a part of everything we do in life. You need emotions to enjoy certain things you do. However, in forex, emotions can contribute to loss and at the same time contribute to gain. What do you think? is there a way to trade without emotions?

GazFx

Banned
Nov 13, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.youtube.com
Nothing wrong with emotions

To excel at something, you need to enjoy doing it. You have to get passionate and emotional about it, and that goes for Forex also. Fear and greed are two emotional extremes that we cannot eliminate, but which we must control in order to trade successfully. I deal with these two emotions by truly understanding my trading strategy and how far I can push the parameters.

I know how many losing trades in a row I can sustain before wipeout, and I trade accordingly. This eliminates fear of loss. I let profits run. This satisfies greed. Anything in between is the "joy" of trading!

Easy Trader

Master Trader
Sep 17, 2011
I think its got alot to do with knowing were you are as a trader. When I was in search of a method/strategy that actually worked my emotions were a major struggle to deal with, which lead me to take trades I probably shouldn't have. Only to lengthen or completely mess-up the foward testing I was doing on a strategy. Once I found a method that worked and got proficient at it, emotions were no longer a factor in the slightest bit. I do think however if I was mature enough to realize where I was as a trader I could have had more success foward testing different strategies and maybe would have found one that worked a little sooner.

Jira

Trader
Feb 18, 2013
You are right, we are human beings, not a robot.. every time we Trade,
our Emotion will always get involved in Real Account, but in demo account
we can't feel emotion tension.

GazFx

Banned
Nov 13, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.youtube.com
I think its got alot to do with knowing were you are as a trader. When I was in search of a method/strategy that actually worked my emotions were a major struggle to deal with, which lead me to take trades I probably shouldn't have. Only to lengthen or completely mess-up the foward testing I was doing on a strategy. Once I found a method that worked and got proficient at it, emotions were no longer a factor in the slightest bit. I do think however if I was mature enough to realize where I was as a trader I could have had more success foward testing different strategies and maybe would have found one that worked a little sooner.

Yes, how true. I did not mention that I have been trading in one form or another since 1978, and it has taken me a long time to reach a comfortable trading zone. Maybe if there had been forums around back then my learning curve would have been much smaller. Of course, there was no such thing as a desktop PC back then, and the internet simply did not exist!

tabalo

Confirmed HotForex Representative
Feb 20, 2013
It's possible to trade without emotions, in case you have enough experience. With old experience, you can trade by analysing the trends, indicator,...

okon2much

Banned
Mar 9, 2013
So, you are saying that there is no way to overcome emotions when trading. Well, that is true, emotions will always be present, but when it is present, the question is :who is in control? Life itself is like the waves of the sea, it moves up and down.

inggo

Banned
Jan 13, 2012
Philippinese
yup there is a way to trade with out emotions, use EAs :D but on the other hand instead of looking at emotions as a negative thing, reverse it and use it for motivation,but studying and learning more you tend to be more confident with your trades, and never hold on to a losing trade, if you lost a trade forget about it and move on and treat each trade as if its your first, :D

krecex

Trader
Oct 8, 2012
the emotion will still be there whenever you are trading. The main problem is that can you control it? Coz I don't believe if any man in this world is without an emotion. Unless if he is a dead person.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Using EAs is no guarentee that you won't get emotional especially when the EA in question tanks up..we have all been there and let's just say that the ride is ALWAYS a short one..
Manual trading is the only way to go about it..just my 2 cents

ansops

Trader
Mar 15, 2013
There is really no way to trade without emotion. i agree thathe use of emotion is less when using robots,yet when setting the parameters on your robots,you can still find greed and fear in people.Some will even deactivate it once they have lost

Last edited:

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Using EA is not going to reduce emotions, rather it will increase it for the simple reason most traders often have unrealistic expectations on how their ea would perform..and when it does not..
Either way, the only way you can limit emotions or to an extent control them is by trading manually.

Im_hungry

Trader
Mar 12, 2013
login.mql5.com
Emotions is always a part of everything we do in life. You need emotions to enjoy certain things you do. However, in forex, emotions can contribute to loss and at the same time contribute to gain. What do you think? is there a way to trade without emotions?

Yes it is possible!
And it is trading robots.
Write the experts

autotrader1

Active Trader
It is difficult to trade without emotions as it is a human nature to have emotions. In forex trading, a trader needs time to drill himself/herself to overcome emotions as times goes by gaining more trading experience. If you are trading manually, after you executed an open trade, shutdown your pc or walk away from your pc or you can use a robot, EA to trade for you.

AsiaDev

Trader
Mar 10, 2013
No I experienced without emotions trading is not possible. We face lot of emotions in real trading. W are not aware of them consciously. In demo we are relax but in real we are tense when our money is in risk. If we had one or two times profit we become greedy o get more and more which is not practice can cause a great loss at once.

Mike WFX

Trader
Mar 24, 2013
Actually when you have good capital you simply cannot trade without emotions. every time you will open the terminal, you will feel the emotions coming and it is natural thing.