Do you prefer fixed spreads or dynamic spreads?

TheLastBear

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Hey guys,

do you prefer fixed spreads or do you prefer dynamic spreads? What does your broker offer you?

Thanks for taking time to respond.

cLeverEdge

Trader
Apr 18, 2013
Melbourne
Depends on your style of trading and market.

Fixed spreads are not ideal for scalping - prone to too many requotes, and tend to be 4-digits. For Scalping you're better of with an ECN and paying a commission, and accepting that trading at news release is just not smart.

If you trade off of higher timeframes (4hr, daily etc.) then fixed spreads are fine, because execution speed is not as important.

tabalo

Confirmed HotForex Representative
Feb 20, 2013
Your explain is great. I think dynamic or fixed are good but it should be small. < 1 pip is great.

okon2much

Banned
Mar 9, 2013
I prefer fixed spread and this is what Profiforex offers me. I can scalp with 5 digit quote without restrictions. Dynamic spreads are not bad either, sometimes you benefit and sometimes it poses risk for you. I prefer fixed spread because when I enter a trade, I am sure that the spread will be just as I want it. My broker does not give me requotes as the spreads are fixed.

Emibluz

Banned
Aug 22, 2013
Hey guys,

do you prefer fixed spreads or do you prefer dynamic spreads? What does your broker offer you?

Thanks for taking time to respond.
Honestly, I prefer fixed spreads. But it is surprising that the even Oanda a respected regulated broker operates dynamic spreads on the disguised of fixed spreads placing the blame on unfavorable conditions of market volatility. I am really embarrassed knowing that all regulated brokers are supposed to be embassies of transparency; but it is turning the other way around. Does regulation no longer promote broker-reliability?

orangebear

Trader
Sep 23, 2013
Fixed spreads are only offered by market maker - how many real markets are fixed? NONE- for me it doesn't make sense and its not honest for broker to offer fixed spread

• 👍
Reactions: deveraux

James Hallow

Jan 31, 2017
I prefer dynamic spreads because of direct liquidity attached to it. Dynamic spreads give an opportunity to make good amount of profits as it involves volatility related real market situations and spread can go as low as 0 pips.

s.taylor

Apr 6, 2017
All it depends upon the trading strategy of the person. Like for scalpers dynamic spreads are preferred and long term traders can benefit from fixed spreads too. The advantage of dynamic spreads is that trades are executed at real time. Cost per trade becomes very less, as spreads are very low and all you need to pay is commission which is very nominally charged by brokers. And I feel it is better to be charged additionally than in the spreads.

Mar 30, 2020
Some brokers promise minimum or typical spreads, without explaining when or for how long these rates are offered. How often do you get the advertised spreads?

Andromathis

Trader
Apr 15, 2020
Previously, when trading intraday, a floating spread was more profitable for me, since in most cases it is significantly less than a fixed one

atmtrades

Trader
Nov 19, 2021
The forex market's volatility has grown routine, and it is no longer limited to news events. While variable spreads may be advantageous during quieter market times, fixed spreads are suitable for tumultuous market conditions5, which may also present more opportunities to profit from.